Old 05-09-2016, 06:19 AM   #1

City: Cumberland
island run

I am a new member and I am looking for advice from anyone who has cruised from Virginia to Rhode Island. I am in the process of buying a boat and would like to cruise home on it.

Thanks
Island Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 06:25 AM   #2
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
We've cruised that area. What type boat? What is your experience? Will you be wanting to stay in the ICW or go outside more?

What information are you looking for?
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 06:30 AM   #3
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Wifey B: Why does the smallest state have the longest official name?
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 06:38 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Run View Post
I am a new member and I am looking for advice from anyone who has cruised from Virginia to Rhode Island. I am in the process of buying a boat and would like to cruise home on it.

Thanks
The boat is a 34' mainship trawler 06. I have cruise up north but never south. It will be an all new experience for wife and I. I think I will stay on the outside from what I have heard.

Thanks
Old 05-09-2016, 07:01 AM   #5
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Outside the Chesapeake? That should really only be a scheduling decision...as the Chesapeake is good cruising and easier in terms of shorter days and safe harbors.

It adds about a day and a halt time for normal cruisers...maybe 2 full says depending on your style.....

Even the NJ intracoastal can easily be done in your boat if you avoid travelling at dead low tides....sure sure people will advise against it....that them...not everyone.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 07:13 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Outside the Chesapeake? That should really only be a scheduling decision...as the Chesapeake is good cruising and easier in terms of shorter days and safe harbors.

It adds about a day and a halt time for normal cruisers...maybe 2 full says depending on your style.....

Even the NJ intracoastal can easily be done in your boat if you avoid travelling at dead low tides....sure sure people will advise against it....that them...not everyone.

Time is a factor . If anyone is heading North in June it would be reat to cruise along with them.

Thanks
Old 05-09-2016, 07:21 AM   #7
Guru

City: gulf coast
A schedule is the worst thing to have on a boat. If things don't go as planned be prepared to stop and leave the boat if you must go back home for a while.

New boat and new experience IMO you should plan to slow cruise mostly on the inside if possible. Don't make the wife's first experience a bad one. Make it a comfortable fun cruise not a delivery trip.

Most folks go up the Chesapeake, down Delaware bay, through the Cape May canal, offshore NJ then through NY harbor to LI sound.

Careful planning and waiting for good weather for offshore is essential.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 07:56 AM   #8
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
What speed are you planning on?

The run from Virginia to Chincoteague is a long one and depending on your eperience and threshold for uncertainty, running into Chincoteague can be a challenge without guidance or good conditions.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 03:43 PM   #9
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
I am planning to meet my buddy in Cape May, NJ in late May/early June to take his boat up to the Connecticut River. Maybe we can coordinate and buddy up. He is in Elizabeth City, NC now.

This is the route he/we will take to get to Cape May and then on to Connecticut:

Elizabeth City to Portsmouth
Portsmouth to E. River Mobjack Bay.
Mobjack Bay to Solomons
Solomons to Annapolis
Annapolis to Chesapeake City
Chesapeake City to Cape May
Cape May to Barnaget Inlet
Barnaget to Sandy Hook, NJ
Sandy Hook to Manhasset, NY
Manhasset to Ct River

This is mostly 50-60 miles a day with some longer legs, cruising slow at 6+ kts. All anchoring out. You can head up the Chesapeake 90% of the time with an occasional lay day if the wind is strong from the north. The leg around NJ takes some settled weather and might require waiting a day or two in Sunset Lake near Cape May for good conditions to develop. LI Sound is usually ok by the end of May.

PM me with your email address if you would like to link up or discuss more. BTW I used to own a Mainship 34T. Nice boat!

And FWIW I would not attempt an outside passage. I have done Cape May direct to Newport, RI in an offshore capable cruising sailboat. But I would not do it in a 34T.

David
DavidM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 05:42 PM   #10
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Done it several times, to RI and beyond, including side trips. What exactly do you want to know? What's your cruising style? Delivery trip or cruise and explore? Lot's of threads here on those waters if you take a few minutes to hunt around.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 05:56 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
I am planning to meet my buddy in Cape May, NJ in late May/early June to take his boat up to the Connecticut River. Maybe we can coordinate and buddy up. He is in Elizabeth City, NC now.

This is the route he/we will take to get to Cape May and then on to Connecticut:

Elizabeth City to Portsmouth
Portsmouth to E. River Mobjack Bay.
Mobjack Bay to Solomons
Solomons to Annapolis
Annapolis to Chesapeake City
Chesapeake City to Cape May
Cape May to Barnaget Inlet
Barnaget to Sandy Hook, NJ
Sandy Hook to Manhasset, NY
Manhasset to Ct River

This is mostly 50-60 miles a day with some longer legs, cruising slow at 6+ kts. All anchoring out. You can head up the Chesapeake 90% of the time with an occasional lay day if the wind is strong from the north. The leg around NJ takes some settled weather and might require waiting a day or two in Sunset Lake near Cape May for good conditions to develop. LI Sound is usually ok by the end of May.

PM me with your email address if you would like to link up or discuss more. BTW I used to own a Mainship 34T. Nice boat!

And FWIW I would not attempt an outside passage. I have done Cape May direct to Newport, RI in an offshore capable cruising sailboat. But I would not do it in a 34T.

David
Thanks Dave I am trying to put this all together. my email is lpdockside@verizon.net
Old 05-10-2016, 12:17 PM   #12

cruise

[QUOTE=Island Run;440724]Thanks Dave I am trying to put this all together. my email is lpdockside@verizon.net send me your e mail and I will stay in contact