Newish member

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PdxSailor

Vessel Name
Omanchie
Vessel Make
Duffy 46
Hi, i have been a member for a while, but recently acquired a Duffy 46 on the East Coast. I have been talking about doing the ICW for years, so i am about to start moving the boat South from Long Island Sound.

Welcome aboard and congrats on your new boat.

How long have you had the Duffy and where have you boated so far? Is the ICW just for a trip or a permanent move?

Welcome aboard.
It is always nice to do the ICW with a buddy boat who has made the trip before.
You can follow along and take notes for the future.

Welcome to the forum! Lots of good cruising on the ICW. I have done Norfolk to Stuart, FL numerous times and still enjoy finding new places to stop along the way.

Ted

Welcome aboard. Have fun on the way south.

Duffy 46

Only pictures i have are from the listing/survey. If i can figure out how to post those or a couple I take myself, i will. I bought the boat near Syracuse, brought her through the Erie Canal and down the Hudson and into Long Island Sound. She was in beautiful condition, although noisier than the sailboats i am used to. I hope I can keep her in the style to which she has become accustomed So far so good.

Only pictures i have are from the listing/survey. If i can figure out how to post those or a couple I take myself, i will. I bought the boat near Syracuse, brought her through the Erie Canal and down the Hudson and into Long Island Sound. She was in beautiful condition, although noisier than the sailboats i am used to. I hope I can keep her in the style to which she has become accustomed So far so good.

Lobster or SF version, meaning flybridge or not? Wilbur Yachts or Atlantic Boat from Duffy yard? Both Wilbur and Atlantic, although Atlantic now officially the Duffy builders and still at it and the Duffy and Duffy yard apparently still active and building commercial and recreational.

Welcome aboard. Congratulations on the new boat. Hope it's smooth sailing with beautiful sunrises and sunsets..

Hi, i have been a member for a while, but recently acquired a Duffy 46 on the East Coast. I have been talking about doing the ICW for years, so i am about to start moving the boat South from Long Island Sound.

Where on the Sound are you? I'm in the Housatonic river with frequent trips to Port Jefferson, L.I. Probably be there later this week. Supposed to be close to 80, doesn't get any better in October around here.

You can post pictures by hitting the "advanced" button and then adding a picture or several as attachments.

Last edited:
Duffy 46

Where on the Sound are you? I'm in the Housatonic river with frequent trips to Port Jefferson, L.I. Probably be there later this week. Supposed to be close to 80, doesn't get any better in October around here.

You can post pictures by hitting the "advanced" button and then adding a picture or several as attachments.

The boat is an aft cabin flybridge (ala a Grand Banks 46 classic) built by Atlantic in 2007 on a stretched Duffy 42 hull

Welcome!

Amazing how much I've learned from TF members in four years - you're in the right place!

ICW - it's amazing. But, so is Long Island Sound! LIS has lots of cool places to visit, but a perhaps a short season. The Chesapeake is amazing, as pretty much everyone knows. Less known is cruising North Carolina.

NC has longer season and wide open waters inside the Outer Banks, lots of smaller colonial towns to visit, some not much bigger than they were 100 years ago. Marina docking costs much less than on the Chesapeake, and numerous towns have free short stay docks.

Choose coffee or something else on a quiet evening and log into Navionics for a long look at cruisng NC - Elizabeth City at the southern end of the Great Dismal Swamp Canal (surveyed partially by George Washington), towns of Hertford, Edenton (often called the prettiest small town in America, home of the first revolutionary war Tea Party - town's women met to declare a boycott of English Tea), Plymouth, Columbia, Belhaven (River Forest Manor/Marina and Spoon River restaurant are musts), Bath (one of the homes of Blackbeard, first town in NC, location where author Edna Ferber saw her first Showboat, leading to the book, play and movies), undeveloped Rose Bay - not much different than it may have been 300 years ago, so serene, Washington (first town in America named for George), Oriental, New Bern (like a smaller Charleston, fewer tourists), Oracoke (where Blackbeard was overtaken by the Royal Navy, and "Teach's Slew" is still on navigational maps), Manteo (location of the Lost Colony, Elizabethan Gardens, Lost Colony summer outdoor theater), Beaufort, and nearby Morehead City (visit Tony's Sanitary Food Market restaurant, popular for the last 80 or so years). Albemarle and Pamlico Sound and tributaries constitute the second largest estuary on the east coast, behind the Chesapeake.

So, consider an extended cruise to the great Sounds and Rivers of North Carolina - as the song says, "Nothing Could Be Finer....."

:) NCheaven,
Shame on you. With that list of places you have encouraged folks to cruise to these places and spoil it for everyone else showing up.
Let's face it, the eastern US, especially to east coast is "younger" and has more history. Dont tell the folks on the west coast.

Last edited:
You're right!

Great and fun comment - thanks, "Young Dan" - I'm a 40's guy, too, and I think 40's born people are all wonderfully young - smart and charming, too.

I actually do think about additional boat traffic here, but few of the snowbirds passing through NC seem to explore the waters and towns of our area. But, I also think about the reason that some of those towns have jointly created "The Albemarle Loop", as those small towns, built city docks with no/low cost short stay slips. No doubt other towns not mentioned welcome visitors and revenues, and have advertised in various directories and boating mags to build cruising traffic. Same for the marinas. Most marinas and towns are happy for cruising folk to come, spend a few days, and go.

So, consider an extended cruise to the great Sounds and Rivers of North Carolina - as the song says, "Nothing Could Be Finer....."

Wifey B: Like so many songs, everyone remembers the chorus, but what's the verse?

Wishing is good time wasted,
Still it's a habit they say,
Wishing for sweet's I've tasted,
That's all I do all day.
Maybe there's nothing in wishing,
But, speaking of wishing I'll say,

Nothin could be finer...

I'm in NC right now. At the orphanage for Halloween and having so much fun. :D

Aawww...Where would we be, without Wifey B..? :D

I never knew.....

.....of that opening lyric to Carolina in the Morning, despite being a fan of the early years of recorded music. Thanks, Wifey B!

It took a while to find a copy of the full lyrics, but I haven't yet been able to find a recording that include the treatise on Wishing that WifeyB provided. Still working on that.

Last cruise of the year coming up next week, if the forecasts hold up.....

.....of that opening lyric to Carolina in the Morning, despite being a fan of the early years of recorded music. Thanks, Wifey B!

It took a while to find a copy of the full lyrics, but I haven't yet been able to find a recording that include the treatise on Wishing that WifeyB provided. Still working on that.

Last cruise of the year coming up next week, if the forecasts hold up.....

Wifey B: Hubby taught me and he actually had the sheet music for it. In some of the recordings they do sneak it in the song later, do like choruses with verses and the intro in between. He's from NC and sang it as a child. I'm not from NC but lived there as his wife for 11 years before Florida. Went to college there and then taught there. :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom