Old 01-24-2023, 10:26 PM   #21
Veteran Member

City: West Palm Beach
Vessel Name: Sun Dog
Vessel Model: Mainship 34
I can only add, when you think you have a budget..triple it! I am speaking from experience from buying an older boat. Not a complaint at all, just a little reality then you won't be shocked. There will always be more upgrades as you go along.
PhilPB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 07:15 AM   #22
Guru

City: Vermont
Vessel Name: Luna C.
Vessel Model: 1977 Marine Trader 34DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilPB View Post
I can only add, when you think you have a budget..triple it! I am speaking from experience from buying an older boat. Not a complaint at all, just a little reality then you won't be shocked. There will always be more upgrades as you go along.
I think we were about double, from purchase to getting her to the home slip through the first year of ownership/caretaking...
CharlieO. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 08:15 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieO. View Post
I think we were about double, from purchase to getting her to the home slip through the first year of ownership/caretaking...

We bought ours on the Gulf coast of Florida and then took four days to bring her over to the east coast via Lake Okeechobee. Before leaving I found a great technician who knew Perkins well and had a full service and had him repair/replace anything that needed attention, that was a few thousand. After bringing her to our marina I scheduled a new bow thruster install, awlgrip the decks and house, and rebuild of rudder and new running gear (due to needing a new cutlass bearing and driveshaft coupling was frozen to tranny). The new driveshaft, midbearing & alignment was an unexpected $13k on top of the yard fees, bow thruster and incidentals. Now I am replacing the 40 yr old water system.
Old 01-25-2023, 09:12 AM   #24
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
On the other side of the coin...err "boat's after-purchase additional investment conundrum":

If you SHOP Carefully and know about boats... you could/might/maybe-will/sometimes-can/often-do-locate a used boat that is in really good condition and needs little further $$$ spent on her.

Also, once you feel good enough about a boat to make an offer be sure to discount any costs of immediate further investment from the purchase price. If the seller does not accept the offer - IMO - hold tight to your offer and move on to make another offer on another boat... if the seller will not meet your terms.

Of course either you need to be [or have someone on our side that is - e.g. a friend, surveyor etc.] a person who knows and understands boats.

For buying a boat at the correct price... You need to be a good "Horse Trader" that gets the "Fee of The Deal" and knows how to "Cut A Deal"!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 09:23 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Couldn't agree more. "Eyes wide open" for sure. I have owned quite a few boats and have rebuilt a few, I haven't been shocked yet. I have always found there are always changes to be made. I've only bought one boat brand new and that was the most disappointing of all!
Old 01-26-2023, 10:19 AM   #26
Veteran Member

When we were shopping a few of the sellers had current surveys for reasons of insurance as well as added information for the sale. The boat that we did buy had a current survey that: A) Seller used to fix all deficiencies noted, and B) Insurance allowed the survey for approval. It worked out very well for us