Newbie from Olympia, Washington

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jovial_cynic

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Zorro Del Mar
Vessel Make
1972 Tollycraft Tri-Cabin
Hey folks. My wife and I took the plunge and bought ourselves a 1959 42' Matthews Cabin Cruiser. "Needs work!" haha. Boy oh boy, what have I gotten myself into. I am a little concerned about the inverse-relationship between the purchase price of a boat and the "actual" cost (the cheaper it is, the more expensive it will be!).

We are "fixer upper" people, though, so making it beautiful isn't a concern. The boat has a set of diesel engines that seem to work, although I need to replace water pump on one of them, and I'm handy with engine work.

The end goal is this: we want "being on the boat" to be what we do for vacations. We want to took overnight trips to various ports, do some relaxing fishing, hang out on the weekend, invite people over and play games in the living area on the boat. In the meanwhile, I'll probably need to find some covered moorage so I can make sure the top is water-tight and sealed.

I plan to read a ton here, research, join the various facebook groups, and hopefully turn this into a family adventure that creates positive memories for my kids. I look forward to learning!

Attachments

• 00D0D_4QeuMCpL3li_1200x900.jpg
    00D0D_4QeuMCpL3li_1200x900.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 66
Welcome to the forum! Congratulations on the new boat.

Ted

One priority is to purchase a top. Bimini top? I believe the upper deck of my boat originally had a more-enclosed option, and I would like to make that possible. Where do you buy a bimini top for a 1959 Matthews boat?

Most tops are custom made and fit. A good canvas company can measure and make a top for your boat.

You got a wood boat. Don't forget about the bottom. Keep rock salt or borate in the bilge, they preserve wood. Keep topside wood dry.

Welcome Mate.

Enjoy your vessel.

Cheers.

H

Welcome. Lots of work, but it sounds like you expected that. You will enjoy the boat.

The Mathews is a wonderful boat. I'd probably not jump into your shoes just because of the size of the boat. Lots of luck on your boat.

We were down in Olympia this spring during the riots. The Starbucks was half boarded up. We were the only boat on the float. May come back this winter.

jovial, welcome to TF. Good luck with your project boat. It's a labor of love and I hope you enjoy working on yours as much as I do on mine.

MANY years ago I spent 2 weeks on a 42' Mathews with a friend and his parents as we went up the Lk Huron coast of MI, crossed over to the North Channel, then to Georgian Bay then back to MI.

Great Boat and I have my fond memories and stories.

There's a great marina nearby that's got some recently-built additions - gas pumps, boat-lift, etc., so I can get it pulled out, cleaned off, painted, etc.

I might be buying a boathouse nearby here as well, which is going to be very useful as I get work done on the boat through this looming Washington winter. I guess I need to join the local yacht club for it... so I'll be doing that soon, too.

Jovial, in the South Sound a YC membership is very useful. A boathouse is also really nice and will significantly cut down on maintenance. I don't have a boathouse and won't buy one. For me, the reason is that we have a great view from our slip in Gig Harbor and since we do spend a fair amount of time hanging out at the boat, we don't want to do it in a shed.

I don't have a boathouse and won't buy one. For me, the reason is that we have a great view from our slip in Gig Harbor and since we do spend a fair amount of time hanging out at the boat, we don't want to do it in a shed.

Do most folks not mind 4 months of rain on their wood boats?

In any event, I'm mostly thinking about getting the boathouse on account of wanting to get work done on the boat, sealing it all up, etc. Once I feel like I'm fine with it sitting out in the rain, I might consider selling the boathouse. Maybe. There's something kind of cool about owning a boathouse as well, I suppose.

Life with a woody is much, much better in a boathouse. Glass boats tolerate weather with less effort. Ebbtide lives under cover.

Life with a woody is much, much better in a boathouse. Glass boats tolerate weather with less effort. Ebbtide lives under cover.

I agree with Bob.

I may have not been clear earlier. A boathouse will significantly reduce your maintenance on your boat, wood or glass. Not only is the effect of the rain on everything above the water, but the effects of the sun (those two days we have sun anyway).

The only reason my wife and I have decided not to get a boathouse (so far at least) is that we really enjoy our open slip in Gig Harbor. The views are great. We would lose that in a boathouse. So for us it is a trade we aren't willing to make yet.

However, that may change the next time I have to clear bird crap off my boat and struggle to keep my canvas turning green with mildew (there is a reason WA is called the Evergreen State and it has nothing to do with Douglas Firs)

Nice that you were able to buy a Matthews, a boat with a great Pedigree.

As for shelters, the money you spend to keep the rain and to a lesser extent the sun, off of your boat is the cheapest maintenance cost for a woody.

Even for a glass hull, keeping the rain and sun off the wood trim or totally wood house is a vital part of extending your enjoyment of ownership.

I have several woody friends all of whom say their woody wouldn't have survived as long as it has, without a shelter.

From one Puget Sound Nube to another.... WELCOME! :)

Dave

Thanks for the tips, everybody. It's a pretty significant undertaking for us, but my wife and I are fixer-upper people, and while this is all new for us, we're looking forward to the challenge.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom