Newbie from Newport Beach, CA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rukiddin

I got the trawler bug part way through Covid and can't shake it.. I think I've given up. Just seems to fit too well into what I want my lifestyle to be.

Thinking about buying something in early 2024, and moving on to it full time with my significant other.

Leaning towards Nordhavn, but open to other possibilities.

See you on-line

Mike

Welcome... to the TF clan of pleasure boat bugged folks!

Welcome. I am in San Diego and getting a live aboard slip in SoCal is incredibly difficult. You may need those 2 years to find one. Good luck!

Welcome! Are you new to boating? Try to get as much time on different sorts of boats as possible before starting your search in earnest. One's priorities and need/want lists typically change pretty dramatically over the first few years of owning and using a boat.

Welcome Aboard, this is a great group to bounce ideas off of. If you are new to boating or if you have some unanswered questions you have come to the right place because on here everyone has an opinion.

Welcome. I am in San Diego and getting a live aboard slip in SoCal is incredibly difficult. You may need those 2 years to find one. Good luck!
Agree, Newport Beach is a great area for looking at boats and talking to the
locals for slip hunting suggestions. Lots of folks doing lots of different things
on their boats.

Last edited:

I'm aware of the shortage of slips in SoCal (I'm also a pilot, and hangar space is pathetic here as well). When I move on board it will probably either be on the east coast (Florida), or the PNW. I'll spend 6 months or more getting the boat ready, learning everything I can, and then hopefully I won't need a slip.

Mike

Welcome! Are you new to boating? Try to get as much time on different sorts of boats as possible before starting your search in earnest. One's priorities and need/want lists typically change pretty dramatically over the first few years of owning and using a boat.

i have some boating experience, mostly in smaller craft and sail boats.

I hear ya on checking out different boats.. If boat slips were more available, I'd probably buy something smaller just to get my sea legs, do some runs to Catalina, and hopefully clarify my mission requirements.

I also own a 35' RV, and have lived on it from time to time, so I know what living in a cramped space is like.

I'm a big guy, 6'4", so a large bed, and fairly easy engine access are big requirements. Those two items tend to eliminate a lot of boats.

Mike

Mike,

You are right your height will certainly eliminate a number of boats out there and I guess you have to ask yourself what is your intent other than having some place to hang your hat for you and your significant other? Are you going to be a dock dweller or cruiser local or other wise?

Regards,
Jim

Mike,

You are right your height will certainly eliminate a number of boats out there and I guess you have to ask yourself what is your intent other than having some place to hang your hat for you and your significant other? Are you going to be a dock dweller or cruiser local or other wise?

Regards,
Jim

No intentions of being a long term dock dweller. My hope is to cruise, and not locally. If I were starting out in Florida, I'd probably spend time in the Bahamas, and work my way down to the BVI's at the very least. Fortunately, I get most of my income from passive investments, so I can work from anywhere, and don't have to be on top of it. I can be off grid for up to a week at a time, or longer.

i have some boating experience, mostly in smaller craft and sail boats.

I hear ya on checking out different boats.. If boat slips were more available, I'd probably buy something smaller just to get my sea legs, do some runs to Catalina, and hopefully clarify my mission requirements.

I also own a 35' RV, and have lived on it from time to time, so I know what living in a cramped space is like.

I'm a big guy, 6'4", so a large bed, and fairly easy engine access are big requirements. Those two items tend to eliminate a lot of boats.

Mike

Been a while but last time I checked availability for smaller slips (25-35') seemed much better than 40'+.

You're in a great spot to set up for weekend trips to Catalina in a smaller vessel. Heck, I had a beer with a tall Swedish guy and his wife in Two Harbors who'd explored all around Cat & the Channel Islands on a trailer-launched 35 footer with a single inboard Yanmar. He kept it behind his house, which meant all maintenance was done out of his garage, and he could pack the boat up directly from home, fill it up at the local gas station, etc. etc.

Seemed like a fantastic setup for a couple doing 2-5 day excursions. Huge savings in expense and some significant convenience benefits versus keeping it in the water.

Been a while but last time I checked availability for smaller slips (25-35') seemed much better than 40'+.

You're in a great spot to set up for weekend trips to Catalina in a smaller vessel. Heck, I had a beer with a tall Swedish guy and his wife in Two Harbors who'd explored all around Cat & the Channel Islands on a trailer-launched 35 footer with a single inboard Yanmar. He kept it behind his house, which meant all maintenance was done out of his garage, and he could pack the boat up directly from home, fill it up at the local gas station, etc. etc.

Seemed like a fantastic setup for a couple doing 2-5 day excursions. Huge savings in expense and some significant convenience benefits versus keeping it in the water.

I've thought about that as well. I actually have 3 acres of land in Temecula where I keep my RV. It's a vacation rental when I'm not using it. I could easily store a boat there.

I've even seen a towable trawler on youtube, just need to keep my eyes open for something like this locally.

Thanks for reminding me.

I've thought about that as well. I actually have 3 acres of land in Temecula where I keep my RV. It's a vacation rental when I'm not using it. I could easily store a boat there.

I've even seen a towable trawler on youtube, just need to keep my eyes open for something like this locally.

Thanks for reminding me.

I think that is a cool little boat. Did I miss the engine and fuel tank review?? :dance:

What’s the mission?

For a first slow boat, you need to look at a lot of boats. Pay close attention to what your partner responds to favorably. Start out on the smallest boat your comfortable in as regards space. No gas engines. Read up on different Diesel engine reputations. If you wish to anchor out a lot, look closely at installed ground tackle and windlass. If in the PNW, your going to want at least 200 feet. 400 is not excessive up here. Anchorages are often deep and tidal changes are as much as 20 feet in upper Canada and Alaska. Caribbean needs chain to avoid problems with coral. All chain is best. No manual windlasses.

The market is softening now so prices should come down soon. In another two years, prices will plunge as the COVID buyers will realize how much they are spending on a boat they don’t use much. Slips are hard to come buy so ask if it is transferable when you buy the boat. Live aboard is very hard in PNW. Long wait lists (years!).

Remember, the boat search, the purchase and learning the boat and it’s problems (They ALL have problems.) is part of the journey. Have fun! Otherwise it’s the wrong choice.

Back
Top Bottom