The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nikkie

Hi all,

I'm VERY new to the boat world. I'm currently looking to buy a trawler with my partner. Any advice on what to look for or ask while on our search for our dream liveaboard would be greatly appreciated! We are up for the adventure. Tips on organizing, maintenance, anything are all welcome. Thank you in advance.

Nikkie

Hi all,

I'm VERY new to the boat world. I'm currently looking to buy a trawler with my partner. Any advice on what to look for or ask while on our search for our dream liveaboard would be greatly appreciated! We are up for the adventure. Tips on organizing, maintenance, anything are all welcome. Thank you in advance.

Nikkie
Hi Nikki. Welcome aboard TF. I see you're from SF, my home prior to moving to Florida 16 years ago.

Buying a boat is a mating dance. Different boats for different people. Some want something similar to their home, others want purposefully austere surroundings. Best bet is to find a way to walk on as many boats as possible. Id also caution that tastes change as you progress through the boat ownership continuum so you may have a couple boat purchases before you land on The One. A lot depends on your lifestyle.

You should find a marina first. I really liked my time at Emeryville. Weather in Alameda was nice too but Emeryville was super convenient.

For a starter boat, if you want something big enough to liveaboard, a 36-foot trawler such as a Grand Banks 36 is a classic and easy to use. But that's just a start. There are literally hundreds of alternatives.

Best success in your search.

Peter

Planned usage, what part of the world? make a list of your must-haves and nice-to-haves… depending on your desired location, start looking for live aboard moorage now!

Also price, amount available for maintenance/improvements? Get some boating and maintenance classes under your belt, even if you plan to pay for maintenance.

Have fun!

Greetings,
Welcome aboard. Mr./Ms N. If you're that new, I would strongly suggest you charter a few times. Living aboard sounds very romantic BUT the reality is it is a LOT of work and there's a LOT to learn. That being said, best wishes for your potential new adventure.

Nikki,

I second the recommendation to find a marina with a slip you can afford. Theu are hard to find. Then find an insurance company that will insure your boat. That is increasingly difficult as well. If you can find those, a boat will be the next search. Good ones aren't easy to find either, but it's probably the easiest of the 3....

Back
Top Bottom