The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I knew it was not the Scottish flag, saw one recently on a boat here. Considered a modified Peugeot insignia.
Lion Rampant? A Loch Ness flag?

The Lion Rampant is the "Royal" flag of Scotland versus the white saltire cross on a blue field which is the "National" flag of Scotland.

IMG_0335.JPG

I knew it was not the Scottish flag, saw one recently on a boat here. Considered a modified Peugeot insignia.

Shape and Colors of the Peugeot Logo

The Peugeot logo is one of the most widely recognized and enduring car logos in history. It has played a tremendous role in establishing Peugeot as one of the most prestigious and sought-after automobile brands in the world. The logo has undergone various modifications over the years.

The history of the iconic “lion” logo of Peugeot traces back to 1847, when the company used to manufacture saw blades and steel goods. According to branding experts, the lion portrays three major attributes of Peugeot saw blades; the strong teeth, the elastic blade, and the swift cut. The logo first appeared on the “Peugeot Bros” arrow in 1950, and was registered as a trademark in 1858.

In 1889, Peugeot produced its first machine, a tricycle, as a result of successful collaboration between Leon Serpollet and Armand Peugeot. It was the first machine to bear the company’s name. The later vehicles sported the words ‘Automobiles Peugeot’ on the radiators. From 1905 to 1915, the lion logo on an arrow was displayed on the “Lion Peugeot” cars manufactured by Peugeot Bros.

In 1933, a more simplified and dynamic lion was seen on bonnets of the Peugeot cars. The heraldic lion, which is also seen on the coat of arms of Franche-Comté (the birthplace of the Peugeot family) started appearing on the 203 in 1948. When the company was renamed Peugeot S.A. in 1965, a few repairs were made to its corporate logo. The lion’s head was placed inside a triangular shield. A few years later, the same head was enclosed in a square-shaped structure.

In 1976, the PSA Peugeot-Citroën holding company was born after the merger of Peugeot and Citroën. The group then acquired the Chrysler Europe in 1978. In an effort to strengthen its corporate image, Peugeot reverted back to the heraldic lion, with a much refined and sophisticated design called “Lion fil”.

The Peugeot logo was altered once again in 1998. This time, the company added the paws to showcase the power and balance of its corporate identity. The blue, intense eyes symbolized the forward-looking attitude of the company. The current logo of Peugeot, often referred to as the “Blue Brand”, was unveiled in 2002. It contains an elaborated black hue that portrays the lion’s shadow.

The proportionally shaped Peugeot logo is often considered as one of the most visually spectacular car logos ever created.

The current version of the Peugeot logo incorporates a custom typeface specifically designed for the company by French type designer and graphic artist Christophe Badani.

I knew it was not the Scottish flag, saw one recently on a boat here.
Lion Rampant?

"Lion Rampant", is depicted in profile standing, it's the flag used by the King of Scots.

"Lion Passant", is walking with the right fore paw raised and all others on the ground, it's the flag used by the King of the English.

The Lion is a common charge in heraldry. It traditionally symbolizes bravery, nobility, royalty, strength, stateliness, and valour, because historically it has been regarded as the king of beasts. Lion as a symbol of power, courage and strength was seen by Egyptians to represent wealth. They used the Lion on tribe banners at the time when Moses took the Israelites out of Egypt.

Therefore Lion refers to a Judeo Christian symbolism. The Lion of Judah stands in the coat of arms of the city of Jerusalem.

The Lion has speed, is alert and has power, this represents all that is majestic. Seen as the lord of the land, the Lion is compared to the Eagle which is supreme in the air. Lion is one of the favorite symbols of leadership & warriors. It is not only seen as a leader on earth but also in the spiritual realms. It's interesting that the Lion is considered by many ancient cultures to be a solar animal symbol. The fact that it is a nocturnal creature means that the Lion is a symbol of authority and command over subconscious thought (as night is an ancient symbol of the subconscious - or dream states).

In today’s world since the roar of the animal is strong, it is often associated with fearlessness. The Lion has captured imagination of human beings for many centuries as a sign of majesty. When the animal is carved on statues they are commonly found guarding palaces, bridges, temples and tombs. Its strength and courage have made it to be associated with power as well as grandeur. This animal knows how to get what he wants since they have the ability to knock off balance the life of the enemy or prey. Because of its noble character, strength and courage, the Lion’s totem & heraldy represent great power humans may have like self-control and balance of life which leads to own personal power.

Just like the Eagle, Lion has long been also included on some French coats of arms.

Attachments

• Omc Family's Coat of Arms.jpg
    Omc Family's Coat of Arms.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 46
omc, Oliver - Great history lesson! THANKS!!

A little thread drift since the subject of Heraldry has come up.

Back in the sixties my Dad's best friend owned a restaurant called The English Pub on Key Biscayne. He used a symbol that looked a lot like the Royal Coat of Arms of the U.K.

This got him a cease and desist letter from an official of the British government. After an exchange of many letters escalating to legal threats on the part of the British government, my Dad's friend pointed out that the Royal Coat of Arms had a Unicorn on it and his had a Monocorn. What's the difference you and the British government ask?

It's simple, a unicorn horn has a clockwise spiral and a monocorn horn has a counter clockwise spiral.

At this point the Brits figured out he was having fun with them and gave up.

Last edited:
A little thread drift since the subject of Heraldry has come up.

Back in the sixties my Dad's best friend owned a restaurant called The English Pub on Key Biscayne. He used a symbol that looked a lot like the Royal Coat of Arms of the U.K.

This got him a cease and desist letter from an official of the British government. After an exchange of many letters escalating to legal threats on the part of the British government, my Dad's friend pointed out that the Royal Coat of Arms had a Unicorn on it and his had a Monocorn. What's the difference you and the British government ask?

It's simple, a unicorn horn has a clockwise spiral and a monocorn horn has a counter clockwise spiral.

At this point the Brits figured out he was having fun with them and gave up.

The British government then is obviously easier than Wayne Huizenga. While I do respect companies needs to protect names and trademarks, I was told and then read about Blockbuster going after Buster Block's Pizza when they opened, I believe in Hollywood, FL years ago. That was a case Blockbuster never could have won so straight bullying. Unfortunately the owner of Buster Block's was stubborn and rather than take the free publicity and do a name change which would have hit all local newspapers decided to fight, spent all his money (I think $50,000) on legal fees, then closed the restaurant as he didn't have money to continue it. Guess though Buster Block's got the last laugh.

Ahh, your new Lion Rampant from you trip through Loch Ness? I have been trying to find a small one for the bow sprit but almost impossible to find in New Orleans! [emoji41].
Looks great Pilou!

Thank you !

Good looking flags & name on your boat, I like that, thanks for posting the pic.

My Scottish Lion flag was made by Kelvin Hughes Ltd, a world leader intelligence company in border, airport, base, harbour, battlefield security & protection, uav & drone detection !

Yes I bought it last October at General Chandlery, Caley Marina, Canal Road, Inverness, IV3 8NF, Scotland.
Tel: +44(0)1463 236539 Fax: +44(0)1463 238323.
Email : sales@caleymarina.com

Size 12" x 9".

But however because you deserve it more than I do, PM me a postal address (street or PO box), I would be glad to ship it for your boat by mail, of course flag & shipping for free, no business here.

Attachments

• IMG_2209.jpg
    IMG_2209.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 40
That is SO kind. Thank you so much for the offer however it is yours and a memorial to your trip. Please keep it. I will get one from the link you provided.
By the way, wasn't Kelvin Hughes the originator of commercial satellite systems? I thought that was how KVH was born. I may be completely wrong.

That is SO kind. Thank you so much for the offer however it is yours and a memorial to your trip. Please keep it. I will get one from the link you provided.
By the way, wasn't Kelvin Hughes the originator of commercial satellite systems? I thought that was how KVH was born. I may be completely wrong.

McGilliCuddy, if I may highjack, you are confusing Kelvin Hughes Ltd with Hughes Aircraft Company.

In addition to being a world leader company in intelligence, detection, protection and security, also Kelvin Hughes Ltd is a world leader in manufacturing numerous marine navigation systems and possesses complete mastery in tactical displays - even electronic and paper charts - which can provide any solution for any naval platform from largest ships - Queen Mary II, among many others - to specialized equipments for strategic submarines.

Now dealing with Saab - Saab transponder division - in a OEM business link, Kelvin Hughes is supplying both Automatic Information Systems (AIS) and Voyage Data Recorders (VDR), as part of its fully compliant integrated bridge systems (IBS). Their specialized integrated bridges for navigation and security surveillance systems are recognized worldwide.

Kelvin Hughes was not the originator of commercial satellite systems, but was the first COMMERCIAL radar system manufacturer in 1946/47.

The originator of commercial satellite systems was a joint-venture between AT&T and Bell in 1962. But in 1960s, U.S. Navy already tracked U.S. submarines with satellite navigation. And in 1964, Hughes Aircraft Company launched a geosynchronous communications satellite which was leased by the US Department of Defense.

We must remember in mid 2000, President Clinton ordered that the intentional degrading of the civilian Global Positioning System signal be discontinued which made GPS more responsive to civil and commercial users worldwide therefore GPS improved signal brought instant benefit to millions GPS users. Warm thanks to the US for this.

Sorry I forgot to mention the good Scottish origins of Kelvin Hughes, Glasgow based where many of the greatest ships were built.

Please check this link to "Saint Just", one of their old test vessel. This beauty was built for Kelvin Hughes and now back in Scotland, registered on National Register of Historic Vessels (NRHV).

St Just · National Historic Ships UK

Great website by the way. Brought back many memories.
All ships I sailed on in the 70's had Kelvin Hughes radars, including the first color radar I saw. I attended the radar school in Gourock on the Clyde as part of my Second Mates ticket in 1975.

Fondly remember the English Pub although I only ate there once that I recall. It was a favorite of my parents. We used to vacation at Key Biscayne every year from the early 50's to the early 60's. It was quite a beautiful place back then with the southern end of the island being a coconut grove and a lighthouse on the southern end. We used to walk to the lighthouse from the Key Biscayne Motel. It breaks my heart to see Key Biscayne today.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom