Old 09-25-2016, 10:42 PM   #61
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilou View Post
Contrary to what ignorant people believe, the French love the Americans and the British with whom we are always pleased to share our history, our culture, our stories.
Ah, but what about we ex convicts Pilou.

It was 1981 and I was making my way back from Megeve to Paris, and being unsure where to go stopped this immaculately dressed Parisian. Being too shy to try my French I asked him in English "pardon monsieur parlez-vous anglais ?" He looked at me for about five seconds and then in perfect English said, "no, not today". I still consider it to be the best put down I have ever received.
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 12:05 AM   #62
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Nice one Andy, but I`m less sure about the French love of the Brits. One time we were checking into a hotel up, country reception gave us the key, checked the passports and said, "I thought you were English, have this key instead". It may have been a worse room, but I doubt it.
I found the French very tolerant of the use of English, except the railway clerk who deliberately sent us in the opposite direction to Versailles.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 06:05 AM   #63
Guru

City: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGillicuddy View Post
Hi Pilou, the trip through Loch Ness and the Caledonian Canal should be awesome.. When in Mull, try to stop in Tobermory. There is a distillery there that makes Tobermory single malt which is an average to better than average whiskey but it turns to nectar if you drink it in the pub next to the distillery using a spritz of water from the same spring as the whiskey was made from.
Also, two other things to see, on the other side of the island is the monastery of St Columba who established a beach head for Christianity in the 6th century, having come over from Ireland. The monastery has been in more or less continuous use for 15 centuries. Amazing. And then if you go further offshore you will see the magnificent Fingals Cave which is sculpted by nature out of octagonal basalt rock. The cave is reported to be the inspiration for Mendelssohn for writing his Hebrides Suite.
Bon Voyage!

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Thank you very much for these useful tips, I will not miss that. And I won't forget to drop a glass of Scotch whisky in the waters of the Lock Ness for Nessie, it seems to be tradition ?
Yahoo 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 10:26 AM   #64
Guru

[QUOTE=Andy G;483217]
Quote:
Contrary to what ignorant people believe, the French love the Americans and the British with whom we are always pleased to share our history, our culture, our stories.

Ah, but what about we ex convicts Pilou.

It was 1981 and I was making my way back from Megeve to Paris, and being unsure where to go stopped this immaculately dressed Parisian. Being too shy to try my French I asked him in English "pardon monsieur parlez-vous anglais ?" He looked at me for about five seconds and then in perfect English said, "no, not today". I still consider it to be the best put down I have ever received.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Nice one Andy, but I`m less sure about the French love of the Brits. One time we were checking into a hotel up, country reception gave us the key, checked the passports and said, "I thought you were English, have this key instead". It may have been a worse room, but I doubt it.
I found the French very tolerant of the use of English, except the railway clerk who deliberately sent us in the opposite direction to Versailles.

"Nice one" ? Ha ! I well knew both of these stories which already showed in another thread "Language a barrier to foreign cruising ?". There we go again, all the old tales came up again. 1981 ? We are in 2016, two generations after this, almost one century in human relationships... Now people travel more, they better communicate, exchange ideas, talk about their interests, they meet and welcome one another, learn what is happening regionally, interact and express more human solidarity.

If you are looking at the world properly, you will see the world as a global human village where people are sharing their stories, their questions and their joys. Is this not what we are mostly doing on TF ?

Andy, we already exchanged a few personal messages where I appreciated with much satisfaction your foresight, your greatness of spirit, your sense of humour. Please do not fall into the trap to take but one example then to drawing conclusions based on that, this is not You.

So listen carefully : In 1983, on my way to New Caledonia I stopped in Sydney, a window of my rental car was broken in a parking lot at day time, my camera and some personal belongings were stolen on my first day in Sydney. Am I to assume that Aussies are thieves ? I would be stupid if I felt that. Quite the contrary, I have had a lot of good leisure times and discussions in Sydney where I met great people.

I have no intention today of going back over old ground and old arguments but please don't tell me that, not to me. Every year, our area attract an important number of tourists, mostly British (from all Brit countries) and American. You've no idea of the large number of tourists who come in my pharmacies suffered minor injuries and ailments (such as a cut finger or feet, minor burn, eye infection, sunburn, heatstroke, some did fall on the ground, etc... too numerous to name). Some people don't have extra money, some lack private health insurance, or met failure to have health services from their credit cards, or the process of health insurance was becoming too complicated in particular because of lack of documents. In all of these cases, howsoever caused, we always fulfill our purpose for patients: To care and cure, therefore we are doing it free of charge, even if every year they are dozens. Every year as well hundred of tourists come for the same reasons - minor injuries - to the hospitals where my daughter and her fiancé (both are doctors) are working, and for the same reasons - sometimes they have health insurance issue or no extra money -, the hospital's staff treat them often free of charge. Then our tradition of hospitality and solidarity may not be brought into question caused by fault or negligence on one Parisian - or one railway clerk - who obviously is not France. There are fools everywhere.

Well, Sirs, I am very sorry about your unpleasant old experiences but this is not France, this it not the French. You both are prominent members of the forum, do not disappoint me, let us be serious, please look beyond the stereotypes from a higher perspective.

Thank you.

P.
Old 09-26-2016, 02:09 PM   #65
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
There are them that in general give and them that in general take away. Also there are them that mostly try to give and them that mostly try to take away.

The negative energy of taking away can ruin a soul. The positive energy of giving can enliven a soul. As well, taking away can place negative outcome[s] that spread wide, wherein a diametric opposite direction giving nearly always enables outcome[s] to give light and joy to all affected.

I'd say the majority of TF contributors seem to be givers... Pilou is undoubtedly one of the highest standard!

Happy Give n' Take Daze - Art
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 08:47 PM   #66
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
Pilou, don't take our old war stories to heart too much, they are meant as light hearted anecdotes, they are posted as , not

FWIW, I lived in France and met my wife there, I have a great affection for the place.

Cheers,

Andy
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 02:25 AM   #67
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Pilou, please, I meant nothing unkind. All travelers have their experiences, generally I find quite untrue the claim the French don`t assist non French speakers,the railway clerk was a notable exception, and I said so, quite clearly.
Providing medical assistance without charge is generous,it can be difficult to access and expensive away from home. In Canada last May we were asked for $250 to see a Dr. at a local practice. Fortunately Canadian pharmacists prescribe as well as dispense and take mercy on tourists, I was much helped with great courtesy at a pharmacy in Jasper. It would cost around $75 to see a Dr. in Australia with no access to our Medicare subsidy scheme.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 03:47 PM   #68
Guru

To all those celebrating, Lechana tova 5777 tikatev(i) veté'hatèm(i).
Old 10-03-2016, 06:14 AM   #69
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy G View Post
Pilou, don't take our old war stories to heart too much, they are meant as light hearted anecdotes, they are posted as , not

FWIW, I lived in France and met my wife there, I have a great affection for the place.

Cheers,

Andy
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Pilou, please, I meant nothing unkind. All travelers have their experiences, generally I find quite untrue the claim the French don`t assis non French speakers,the railway clerk was a notable exception, and I said so, quite clearly.
Providing medical assistance without charge is generous,it can be difficult to access and expensive away from home. In Canada last May we were asked for $250 to see a Dr. at a local practice. Fortunately Canadian pharmacists prescribe as well as dispense and take mercy on tourists, I was much helped with great courtesy at a pharmacy in Jasper. It would cost around $75 to see a Dr. in Australia with no access to our Medicare subsidy scheme.
The best ship is friendship
Old 10-03-2016, 06:45 AM   #70
Guru

Quote:
Was that pic taken in Rhodes? Is that the harbor that was deepened for Dilbar? That looks like a Knights Hospatelier structure in the background.

Last Friday, Picasso Museum from the sea (left tower, the tower on the right is the Cathedral of Antibes).
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6740.JPG   FullSizeRender.jpg  
Old 10-03-2016, 09:07 AM   #71
Guru

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Scot Free
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 53' Efficient
Ahh, you were out on the boat on a beautiful day. Wonderful.

McGillicuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 05:01 AM   #72
Guru

Caledonian Canal

Scotland's canals have a unique place in the history of canal-building of the Industrial Age of Great Britain.

Stretching from Corpach (just north of Fort William) on the west coast of Scotland to Inverness on the east coast through the Great Glen, the Caledonian Canal is 60 miles (50 nautical miles) long. 22 miles of which are man-made to connect the natural fresh water lochs of Loch Lochy, Loch Oich, Loch Ness and Loch Dochfour.

The canal was conceived to provide safe passage for shipping including the British Royal Navy, avoiding the dangerous route through the Pentland Firth and around Cape Wrath. The construction of the canal also provided employment after the Highland Clearances.

Surveys were made in 1773 then in 1793 but the war with France eight years later led to the building of the canal as a means of avoiding privateers. An Act of Parliament in July 1803 authorising the canal engineer Thomas Telford to survey, design and build the waterway with the help of William Jessop. The work was expected to take 7 years to complete at a cost of £474,000.

By the time the canal was built, Napoleon was defeated at the battle of Waterloo (at least from what I have been told ) and the war was over. Caledonian canal opened in 1822, after 12 years to build at a cost £910,000 employing over 3,000 people. Even if the threat to British Naval shipping was gone, but with the spectacular scenery the canal was popular for pleasure cruising and it provided the safe passage it had originally been intended to during the First World War.

The canal is, even by today’s standards, an amazing feat of engineering. There are 29 locks 4 aquaducts and 10 swing bridges all of which are operated since by British Waterways’ staff. Sea locks and most locks and bridges are equipped with VHF and operate on Channel 74.

The maximum size of boat that can navigate throughout the Caledonian Canal is :
45.72 m (150' ) long; 10.67m (35' ) beam; 4.11m (13.5' ) draft ; Maximum mast height in the canal is 35m (115' ) above the waterline, but clearance under the Kessock Bridge on the Inverness Firth is lower at 27.4m (89.8' ).
Large commercial vessels operate on the Caledonian Canal. These ships normally have right of way and it should be necessary to stop our smaller boat for short periods.

To be continued in the coming weeks.
Attached Thumbnails
MAP.jpg   NAVIONICS.jpg  
Old 10-20-2016, 08:33 AM   #73
Guru

Will be flying tomorrow to Inverness Scotland with a scheduled getting under way on Saturday early morning.
Old 10-21-2016, 12:40 AM   #74
Guru

Looking forward to a travelogue and your impressions. And pictures.....
I see its started to get chilly there.

Old 10-21-2016, 02:51 AM   #75
Guru

Quote:

Thanks ! I appreciate!

I will do that.

Right now boarding AMS to INV.
Old 10-21-2016, 09:01 AM   #76
Guru

Quote:

Not too bad so far :-)
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7500.jpg   IMG_7498.jpg  
Old 11-02-2016, 12:23 PM   #77
Guru

Quote:
PM sent.
Old 11-04-2016, 11:01 PM   #78
Guru

Beautiful. Hope you are enjoying the journey.

Old 11-05-2016, 01:18 PM   #79

City: Kirkland
Quote:
You are welcome John. Thanks for your very nice message.
Geee, that song! ' Sailing ' it hit me.... 40 years went by...

1976, La Rochelle, Biscaye
First visit to France, first movie theater, starting song before the movie by Rod Steward, ' Sailing '. I will never forget.
Being a newbie deckboy on a cargo ship, we all worked hard. But that song represented everything to me about the sea/ocean/nature. A beautiful memory.
Pilou, was there a reason why you picked that song for your video?

Gorgeous boat, really!
utazo89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 04:38 PM   #80
Guru

Quote:
Beautiful. Hope you are enjoying the journey.

Thank you very much. The journey ? In a word : WONDERFUL.