Newbie: 1984 Kha Shing 4911

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

incabrain

Vessel Name
tambo
Vessel Make
1984 Kha Shing 4911 Sundeck
Hello from the PNW, new owner of an extremely well-maintained '84 Kha Shing 4911 sundeck. Twin screw, Volvo Penta TAMD40B (160 hp). Layout is galley down, twin forward bunk berths, walk around queen in captain's quarters, fwd/aft heads with separate showers.

Someday I hope to liveaboard (solo) but the waitlisting is bewildering and confusing. Currently moored on fresh water with fairly easy access to the Puget Sound.

I'm more terrified than excited at this point. I have a lot to learn as I've jumped in way over my head. Going for me I have good people around me (including the previous owner), a relentless personality and homeowner-level handiness.

COVID has altered the purchasing landscape. This deal took 6 months from start to finish. I financed 1/3 of it. A significant number of banks stopped financing boats over 20 years old. Insurance companies have also become more risk adverse. We got nit-picked on basics of the boat survey. It drew out the process which then jeopardized financing. It was interesting to have brokers and salty experts send me to companies whose policies had changed recently. In the end I feel lucky to be at this point.

I've been a lurker but wanted to point out I learned a lot from this forum about boat selection: hull type, fuel economy, twin vs single vs thrusters, issues to look out for in survey, layout feedback, moorage sitrep, insurance gotchas, and my final solution for financing came from Cindy at Sterling Associates which you fine folk recommended.

So, thank you.

:hide:

Attachments

• tambo-lg.jpg
    tambo-lg.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 7
Welcome and Congrats on the new boat.
Where are you looking for moorage and what kind of wait times are you finding?

Welcome to TF as a member now. As you already found out - lots of good info on here. Knowledge will, over time, replace the terror, believe me. :)

Welcome aboard and congrats on your boat. Cindy was a great help to me also.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom