Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-01-2020, 10:33 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 6
New in Virginia

Just joined and plan to get something in the next few years. Have a couple years to empty nest
When we lived in Burbank CA we had a boat we used between long beach and catalina quite a bit.
For trawler aspirations we plan reasonable size, maybe smaller to start and use on either NE or NW up and down the coast (NW most likely).
Once that has happened move on to more distant options.
__________________
Advertisement

javelin911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 11:49 PM   #2
Guru
 
Comodave's Avatar
 
City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 10,073
Welcome aboard. Have fun in the search for a boat.
__________________

__________________
Boat Nut:
If you are one there is no explanation necessary.
If you arenít one, there is no explanation possible.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 09:21 AM   #3
Guru
 
slowgoesit's Avatar
 
City: Kentucky
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 590
Welcome aboard as well. Best advice upon getting a boat is to USE IT! Good luck in your search.
slowgoesit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 12:17 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Bkay's Avatar
 
City: Reedville, VA
Vessel Name: Wingspan
Vessel Model: Aluminum Catamaran
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 446
Welcome aboard. Where are you in Virginia?
Bkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 12:24 PM   #5
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 19,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelin911 View Post
Just joined and plan to get something in the next few years. Have a couple years to empty nest
When we lived in Burbank CA we had a boat we used between long beach and catalina quite a bit.
For trawler aspirations we plan reasonable size, maybe smaller to start and use on either NE or NW up and down the coast (NW most likely).
Once that has happened move on to more distant options.
Wifey B: You're a little all over the place, literally.

VA, Burbank, NE, NW. I'd love to hear the rest of the story about where you intend to boat.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 10:53 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bkay View Post
Welcome aboard. Where are you in Virginia?


NOVA, Alexandria
javelin911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 10:54 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: You're a little all over the place, literally.



VA, Burbank, NE, NW. I'd love to hear the rest of the story about where you intend to boat.


Grand plans indeed. Trying to make sure I donít over plan to start with and work my way into a problem
javelin911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 03:14 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Capitaine R's Avatar
 
City: St James City/Punta Gorda
Vessel Name: Charlie Noble
Vessel Model: 32 Nordic Tug
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 420
Welcome
I'm curious on what you consider a reasonable size, a very subjective subject
__________________
The best way to find out is get her out on the ocean, because if anything is going to happen it's going to happen out there.
"Captain Ron"
Capitaine R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 03:41 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitaine R View Post
Welcome
I'm curious on what you consider a reasonable size, a very subjective subject


Very subjective, even for me.
If we start small, then probably 34-42 feet.
If we donít, I want something 45-55 that is long range ocean quality.
javelin911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 03:42 PM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelin911 View Post
Very subjective, even for me.
If we start small, then probably 34-42 feet.
If we donít, I want something 45-55 that is long range ocean quality.


Love the look of Nordhavn. 55 is nice.
Again if I start on coastal only maybe something like a 42
javelin911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 03:44 PM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelin911 View Post
Love the look of Nordhavn. 55 is nice.
Again if I start on coastal only maybe something like a 42


The hard part is exposure to variations and time around the boat(s) to solidify preference and get the wife comfortable.
And decide what is the best way forward
javelin911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 04:09 PM   #12
Veteran Member
 
City: Portsmouth, VA
Vessel Name: Nickel Plate
Vessel Model: Jeanneau Velasco 43
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 77
Welcome, also welcome to VA! You will find the bay awesome, lots of places to go, great anchorages, plenty of cruising, no rocks on the bottom but the water can be thin Weather is generally good except the humidity in mid June through September requires good AC setup, or you will be miserable. Sometimes thunderstorms can be nasty, and coastal storms keep an eye on. Glad to have you aboard!
__________________

fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Trawler Port Captains
Port Captains are TF volunteers who can serve as local guides or assist with local arrangements and information. Search below to locate Port Captains near your destination. To learn more about this program read here: TF Port Captain Program





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012
×