New user

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GJACKSON61

Hello,

I'm Greg Jackson and my wife and I have recently begun exploring the possibility of retiring aboard a boat. We still have 5 years before retiring but feel the need to start learning now. I am not unfamiliar with boats/boating (retired Navy) but there is a knowledge gap between bass boats and aircraft carriers that I need to fill! We spent a couple days at the Annapolis Powerboat Show and were advised by a few folks that we should spend some time here listening and learning. Thanks for having me (us)!

GJ
Three things to spend time chewing on are:
—Cruising grounds
—Budget for initial purchase
—Given moorage shortages, where will vessel be kept

Two bits of advice.

First. Charter for a long enough time to decide if living in a small place suits you both. Yes, chartering for weeks is expensive, but not as expensive as buying a boat to find out the lifestyle doesn't suit you.

Second. Think about ageing.

I bought boat #2 at age 62 with no concerns about my age and ability to perform daily tasks and routine maintenance.

Boat #3 was bought at age 67 with some minor concerns about getting around in the engine room. And her concerns about interior lay out.

At 72 we're purchasing boat #4 with a lot of thought given to moving around in and on the boat. Engine room, how easy is it for me to perform daily tasks and routine maintenance? Interior especially galley, do we have to get down on our hands and knees to get to the things we use every day? Is it easy to get from the cockpit to the swim step then to the dingy or dock? Is access from the living spaces to pilot house and flybridge easy?

How easy is the boat to control in tight quarters? I take pride in my boat handling and am comfortable with a single and no thrusters. I used to turn my nose up at those wanting twins and thrusters. That was then. Now I value twins and a bow thruster or single with bow and stern thrusters. Anything to make it so she calmly steps off the swim step line in hand, makes the stern fast and then can get to the bow in a relaxed manner while I keep the boat pinned to the dock.

Arthritis, joints replaced, general loss of flexibility and range of movement all have to be taken into consideration as we age. While we are in great condition compared to many in our age group there is no denying we are slower and less able than we were 5 yrs ago. I'm not whining, just stating facts.

New User

Thank you for your replies. We have, definitely, considered some of these points. Our plan is to berth on, or close to the Carolinas or possibly southern Virginia and cruising the east coast with the aspiration of occasionally the Keys or Bahamas. Having spent a few days getting on and off trawlers and cruisers, investigating the engine rooms, galleys, and flybridges, the aging thing became quite clear. I am still in pretty good shape and hope to remain that way. Excellent idea about chartering. We have six children (youngest just turned 18) and a fairly large house - discussions about downsizing are likely to be interesting (maybe even hilarious). Bow and probably stern thrusters are a must depending on LOA. I've only posted once and received some great advice! Thanks again.

Welcome aboard from a fellow USN retiree. Your comment about the knowledge gap between CVs and bass boats reminded me of when I bought a Grand Banks 42 in my 21st (of 24 years) year of active duty and began living aboard it within a year. Being a post-command SWO and having conned everything from an ocean-going tug to a battleship, I had absolutely no issues with running a twin-screw, thruster-LESS boat, BUT the maintenance side of things and learning the individual systems and gaining just generalized knowledge of "trawler things" took years before I felt I could pass on any advice to others. When I downsized to this 30-foot boat I now have, I had to go through another learning process about the much different high-rpm Yanmar turbo-powered engine it came with after the simple but reliable Ford-Lehmans the trawler had.

With all those children, I appears that bunk space will likely be a very important factor. FYI, it is said of a Grand Banks with sleeping forward for two and aft, for two forward, for one person or two kids on a folded down table that boat can sleep six, dine four and LIVE two.

The largest vessel my wife and I have cruised is a 55-foot, 100,000-pound single screw, bow thruster (no stern thruster) equipped boat, and that was big enough.

Thinking children might possibly be banned. I think 28 years raising kids calls for a period of peace and quiet! While I haven't "conned" anything bigger than a 25' pontoon boat, as a retired MMC, I think I'll be able to pick up on the mechanics. While we didn't run diesels, there was plenty of other equipment to keep me busy.

Thinking children might possibly be banned. I think 28 years raising kids calls for a period of peace and quiet! While I haven't "conned" anything bigger than a 25' pontoon boat, as a retired MMC, I think I'll be able to pick up on the mechanics. While we didn't run diesels, there was plenty of other equipment to keep me busy.

I cannot tell you the number of times in my engine room I wished I was a retired MMC! :banghead:

Anybody can drive, right?:D

Hello Greg.

Welcome Aboard !

Welcome aboard Greg! Another retired Navy machinist's mate here. We dock our Mainship 390 in Murrell's Inlet in SC and plan to do the Great Loop starting next spring. Yes, our background is an advantage when it comes to boat systems and being able to DIY. There is much to learn and a never-ending list of boat projects. I've found it difficult to find reputable professional help for some tasks, especially in the electrical area, which is one of my weak spots. This forum has been a wealth of good knowledge and advise. I hope you find it as useful as I have.

Thanks. I was on the steam side of things, so I'm not all that familiar with diesel systems, but I hope to be able to pick it up.

Thanks. I was on the steam side of things, so I'm not all that familiar with diesel systems, but I hope to be able to pick it up.

It's far simpler than steam propulsion, and you'll have no issues picking it up. Join boatdiesel.com and monitor the sub-forum for your diesel model to learn all you need.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom