Old 04-14-2020, 06:36 PM   #21
Guru

City: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Capricorn
Vessel Model: Mariner 30 - Sedan Cruiser 1969
Absolutely a wonderful boat until it's time to enter the ER.

Your people do that, not you.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 06:43 PM   #22

City: Newport Beach
Thanks for all the thoughtful comments, Back to the drawing board. I hope to see some of you soon at some port. Jp
deepblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 02:21 PM   #23

City: North Vancouver
Vessel Name: INFINITY ∞
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 62
Hi JP,
My wife and I have owned our N62 for the last 8 years. We handle the vessel ourselves, and have 29,000 miles under her keel so far. (Vancouver - Australia). We love the boat, and she continues to get better (and smaller) with each passing day. She's a great sea boat, and looks after us. We have hydraulic thrusters, so close quarter maneuvering is easy, and makes me look like a rock star. I work from the boat, and she's also basically our home now. (although we do have a base in Vancouver).

I'm not certain if the N62 will be the best boat for you, but it certainly is for us. As others have said, the N57 is a great boat, and the N47 will make you proud. You can't go wrong. Personally though, we need the space, so we went bigger. Marina slips have never been an issue, but we have totally autonomy for a year on the hook if required.

If you have any N62 (or general Nordhavn questions), I'll be happy to reply here. Best of luck to you!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0118.jpg   IMG_0145.jpg   IMG_1847.jpg  
nemier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 03:11 PM   #24

City: Courtenay, BC
Vessel Name: Steadfast
Vessel Model: 3870 Bayliner
I have boated all my life. Now 74. When I looked for my last new vessel four years ago, for cruising and live aboard, I capped my search at 50' length overall. The main reason is boating the PNW once you are over 50' your docking choices are drastically reduced. Also the larger the boat the more challenges docking in marinas. At that time I did a lot of solo boating.

However, with a good skiff one can anchor out & use the skiff as many do. I did not like that scenario.

It really boils down to what you want to do with your vessel along with your present and near future physical condition.
Slider70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 08:42 PM   #25

City: Port Deposit, MD
Vessel Name: Grand Day Out
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepblue View Post
I am retiring this year and upgrading my boat to travel 9 months a year with the wife. Plan includes both coast for a few years. I have 45 years of boating and 66 years old.The question i pose to the members is should I buy a 47 nordhavn which is a great boat or go for the 62 nordhavn which gives us more elbow room for live aboard , I am concerned that it is too big for us to handle ,the extra cost to run and the problem of getting slips that big. Thanks jp
9 months a year on your boat means it is your primary residence. If you can afford the purchase and operation of the bigger one, get it. If you are on a budget..get the smaller one. Worry about money in retirement will shorten your life.
stroutmail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 09:45 PM   #26

City: Newport Beach
Thanks for the info....yes I have decided to buy a 57 or 62 not a 47, we like the space for live aboard and guest. Did you write a book on the 62 you bought, great book!
deepblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 01:06 PM   #27

City: North Vancouver
Vessel Name: INFINITY ∞
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepblue View Post
Thanks for the info....yes I have decided to buy a 57 or 62 not a 47, we like the space for live aboard and guest. Did you write a book on the 62 you bought, great book!

Hi Deepblue,
Not sure if you were replying to my post above? If so, answer is 'no' - I have not written a book (yet), but there was one N62 owner who did. James Ellingford (6220 - Pendana). He has since sold the boat, and moved on to other projects.

There is a peach of a N57 available is you are interested. But situated in Hawaii, last I heard. Good luck!
nemier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 01:38 PM   #28
Guru

City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemier View Post
Hi Deepblue,
Not sure if you were replying to my post above? If so, answer is 'no' - I have not written a book (yet), but there was one N62 owner who did. James Ellingford (6220 - Pendana). He has since sold the boat, and moved on to other projects.

There is a peach of a N57 available is you are interested. But situated in Hawaii, last I heard. Good luck!
Ken Williams also wrote a book with his N62 on the cover - he is credited as a co-author on James Ellingford's book. I've never read Williams' book, but have read a number of his blogs (www.KensBlog.com). He's an exceptional writer - a very easy read.

https://www.amazon.com/Crossing-Ocea.../dp/1484890604
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote