New Trawler owner, but Lived aboard 5 years

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Don1500

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
M/V Nomad
Vessel Make
Camano Troll 31
I just sold my 34' sail boat, an Aloha 10.4. I have lived on her for the past 5 years and now I felt I wanted more. I loved living aboard and will never go back to owning a house.

I will be closing on my new (to me) 1985 Tradewinds 47. :dance:

newnomada.jpg

The boat is in Hilton Head now and I will be heading down to Florida as soon as I close and the refit is done.

Wow, big change for you going from a 34 blowboat to a 47 stinker. Welcome aboard!

Wow, big change for you going from a 34 blowboat to a 47 stinker. Welcome aboard!

We were looking at a Manatee before we got the Tradewinds.

As far as big, I never had a boat larger than a 16' Hobie cat before I got the Aloha. It's just a large step up, I'll figure it out.

Welcome to the forum! Looks like a nice boat.

Ted

Welcome! Also welcome to the "stick pots/mosquito killers!"

The Survey

OK, I had the survey done. Not too much to get done, but some of it can be expensive. The controls from the fly bridge were "sticky", in other words they locked up. The owners captain actually rammed the dock because he couldn't get them into reverse. One engine was hard to start, or rather hard to keep going for a while (looked like fuel starvation) this "corrected itself" and the engine ran till we go to the marina for haul out. But the engine was again hard to start when we started back. The Fuel gauges either don't work or there was no fuel in the tanks. Other small stuff, but the agent said he would fix everything. There was one other thing that was serious, A pinhole leak in a metal pipe that connects two raw water hoses. If the pipe is not connected to the boat ground this could just be an isolated failure, if it is connected then there could be other damage to the heat exchanger. This could have been caused by not replacing the zinc in the heat exchanger.

Well, now to see how well the agent carries through and gets the hit list fixed. He said two weeks, but I can see thanksgiving with me still in Myrtle Beach.

Last edited:
Looks like a lot of space to spread out and enjoy, make sure to bring some good mixers aboard. I can picture quite a few sundowners in the cockpit and up on the fly while docked or on the hook.

OK, I had the survey done. Not too much to get done, but some of it can be expensive. The controls from the fly bridge were "sticky", in other words they locked up. The owners captain actually rammed the dock because he couldn't get them into reverse. One engine was hard to start, or rather hard to keep going for a while (looked like fuel starvation) this "corrected itself" and the engine ran till we go to the marina for haul out. But the engine was again hard to start when we started back. The Fuel gauges either don't work or there was no fuel in the tanks. Other small stuff, but the agent said he would fix everything. There was one other thing that was serious, A pinhole leak in a metal pipe that connects two raw water hoses. If the pipe is not connected to the boat ground this could just be an isolated failure, if it is connected then there could be other damage to the heat exchanger. This could have been caused by not replacing the zinc in the heat exchanger.

Well, now to see how well the agent carries through and gets the hit list fixed. He said two weeks, but I can see thanksgiving with me still in Myrtle Beach.

Thanksgiving in Myrtle Beach can be nice. Sure beats breaking down on the way south.

Are you having the surveyor return when they say things are all fixed?

Are you having the surveyor return when they say things are all fixed?
No, I was there, I know what he saw, I found some of it. So I will take pictures and add them to the package. (Besides at $900/day I can't afford him.) Oh, yes, I have the hit list, and will be there when the mechanic is doing the work....I'm a pest. Also I was a marine engineer (Tug boat steering gear and autopilot systems mostly) until I moved over to aircraft.

Last edited:
No, I was there, I know what he saw, I found some of it. So I will take pictures and add them to the package. (Besides at $900/day I can't afford him.) Oh, yes, I have the hit list, and will be there when the mechanic is doing the work....I'm a pest. Also I was a marine engineer (Tug boat steering gear and autopilot systems mostly) until I moved over to aircraft.

Well, so far the best $900 you could have spent. Is your insurer not requiring a survey?

Nice boat, welcome aboard. Where in South Florida will tou go?

Well, so far the best $900 you could have spent. Is your insurer not requiring a survey?

Don't own the boat yet, the insurer required one on the last boat so I guess they'll require it on this one. I just had to send proof the hit list was accomplished. (Pictures)

Nice boat, welcome aboard. Where in South Florida will tou go?

First year maybe Ft. Myers or Sarasota

Next summer New York & Cape Cod, Then back to FL, the Keys, Marathon.

Oh yikes. Just saw the post about your brother. My thoughts are with you-- hang in there.

Our sincerest condolences.

I'll be in Ft Myers, call me to a beer

Things change.

I have been here in Punta Gorda for two years and in that time I have sold the Trade Winds 47 in favor of a Camano Troll 31. Loved the Trade winds but it was too much work, and cost. Now I've got the cost down and this boat has much less work to it.

I just sold my 34' sail boat, an Aloha 10.4. I have lived on her for the past 5 years and now I felt I wanted more. I loved living aboard and will never go back to owning a house.

I will be closing on my new (to me) 1985 Tradewinds 47. :dance:

newnomada.jpg

The boat is in Hilton Head now and I will be heading down to Florida as soon as I close and the refit is done.

Welcome to the forum, but Don, you have me confused. I've taken on board the above, (highlighted), so why is there a Camano Troll in your avatar...just askin'..? :confused:

Ok, sorry, just caught up with the fact this was an old thread re-visited. I get it now, ignore the above please. My bad, as they say - whoever 'they' are..?

The confusing thing is when an avatar pic is updated, it changes on all that member's posts, as far back as they go. Ideally it should only change from when the change is made. Maybe we need to look into the software on that..?

Last edited:
Things change.

I have been here in Punta Gorda for two years and in that time I have sold the Trade Winds 47 in favor of a Camano Troll 31. Loved the Trade winds but it was too much work, and cost. Now I've got the cost down and this boat has much less work to it.

Amen to less can be better. A 30-foot glass boat over a 42-foot woodie was a phenomenal change for me. How does your Troll compare in roominess to the old sailboat you had?

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom