New Trawler Owner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PeterOTampa

Hi everyone, I am on the verge of purchasing a 85 Chris Craft Catalina 42 that is equipped with twin Detroit Diesel 471's, which makes this boat a trawler. It has a nice layout with double queen size cabins. Does anyone have any experience with these boats? Thanks

Welcome aboard! A lot of good info on here! Good luck with her!

Hi everyone, I am on the verge of purchasing a 85 Chris Craft Catalina 42 that is equipped with twin Detroit Diesel 471's, which makes this boat a trawler. It has a nice layout with double queen size cabins. Does anyone have any experience with these boats? Thanks

Peter;

Welcome. Cannot give much info, however Chris Craft has a good rep and has been around for a long time. The DD 471 has been around a while as well. I am sure others will chime in that can give you more info.

Best of luck on the purchase.

Cheers

H.

The 71 Detroit series have been made since before WWII. I've been running them since I was a kid, a long time ago. 471 is still being made for generator and industrial applications. Parts are everywhere. I think they are the most reliable modern marine engine made. No injector pump-no bleeding, no electric requirements to keep running. With proper care and operation, will outlast typical recreational diesels. I have twin 671s in my current boat. One of the reasons I bought it.
Ebay is a good source for spare pumps, etc.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom