Old 06-24-2016, 04:57 AM   #1

City: JACKSONVILLE
Vessel Name: $20 and A Handshake
Vessel Model: Marine Trader '36
New Trawler Owner

Just signed up for this forum for help and advice since I just bought a used 1974 36' Marine Trader. It runs and floats, but has an empty shell/frame inside. I am looking to do the following as part of a partial refit.
a. Re-Fiberglass Boat
b. Gel Coat
c. Paint Exterior
d. Install new interior furniture/bulkhead wood
e. Install new electronics (Radar, Chart/Range Finder, etc.)

Is there a checklist for new Trawler owners for refit?

Thanks,

Hatch1906
hatch1906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 05:22 AM   #2
Guru

City: Sydney
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatch1906 View Post
Just signed up for this forum for help and advice since I just bought a used 1974 36' Marine Trader. It runs and floats, but has an empty shell/frame inside. I am looking to do the following as part of a partial refit.
a. Re-Fiberglass Boat
b. Gel Coat
c. Paint Exterior

Thanks,

Hatch1906
gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 05:23 AM   #3
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Welcome to the forum! You have quite the project ahead of you. Don't know if there is a check list, but there are a number of threads on building boats and refitting them. Best of luck with your project!

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 05:38 AM   #4
Guru

City: Biloxi, MS
Vessel Name: Cajun Rose
Vessel Model: Biloxi Lugger
Whew, Man I hope you got the boat for free! You can click on my link in my sig and look at my project and I don't know if I would do this again. Start with the glass, find a good glass guy and get ready to spend some money. Gel coat takes a lot longer then paint so I went with the paint on the top sides, we've been glassing and fairing for 6 months. I can't help you on the last two items because I've been doing the first 3 items for 9 years!
Good luck
swampu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 05:12 PM   #5
Guru

City: Solomons, MD
Vessel Name: Branwen
Vessel Model: Hatteras 48 LRC
1) Why did you go this route?

2) Why didn't you come here for advice before choosing this path?
GregBrannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 05:56 PM   #6
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
New Trawler Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregBrannon View Post
1) Why did you go this route?

Many folks go this route, few see it through to the end and even fewer still are willing to document the process completely warts and all online. TF has been blessed with folks like swampu, she-kon, hendo, anode, oc diver to name just a few.

By all means please allow this thread to be your online outlet to photo document the transformation of this project and allow us to enjoy it vicariously. We will provide advice and celebrate and commiserate along with you as the victories and inevitable mistakes come.

I'm reminded that pleasure boats never make any financial sense whatsoever. Everyone has a different hobby and thank goodness they do IMO.

Welcome to the forum hatch

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 06:53 PM   #7

I didn't have much money so I bought this '74 36' Marine Trader for $2,500. Would like to have found a 36- 40' for 10K-15K but could not find anything close.
Old 06-24-2016, 07:26 PM   #8
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Welcome aboard! My first thought was "partial refit ??", but you own it, you have a plan, you are looking for advice, which all makes sense. You will get plenty of help, viewing other refit threads, or from direct questions. Ask away, and I hope it goes well.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 07:29 PM   #9
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Welcome aboard.
Old 06-24-2016, 07:59 PM   #10
Guru

Cool, why do you want to redo or add more fiberglass?
Old 06-24-2016, 08:54 PM   #11
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
You've chosen quite a challenge there. Welcome aboard and don't forget to post your progress as things move along. Even though it's a project boat, try to get her on the water for some enjoyment while you refit, even if it is only to have an evening drink on deck. Take lots of pictures.

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 09:54 PM   #12
GT6
Veteran Member

City: Fall City
Coming from the vintage sports car world: the "cheap" car is usually the most expensive... Far less expensive, and far less hassle to buy a nice car from someone who bought it unrestored, and put a TON of money & labor into it...

We're currently looking for a very "nice" yacht...

Ed
GT6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 10:02 PM   #13
Guru

City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
Don't use polyester resin. It doesn't stick well to anything including itself. Use epoxy resin. If you check on line you can save $20 gallon compared to the local boat store. If money is tight, look for most of your supplies online. Some have free shipping on larger orders.
Fix things that effect floating 1st. Then things that need protection from rain next. Fresh water causes rot. Salt water preserves wood. Make sure the zincs are kept up so when you go cruising you still have a prop.
In a younger life I built and repaired many types of boats. I maintain this one now.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 10:13 PM   #14

City: Carrollton, Va
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
Coming from the vintage sports car world: the "cheap" car is usually the most expensive... Far less expensive, and far less hassle to buy a nice car from someone who bought it unrestored, and put a TON of money & labor into it...

We're currently looking for a very "nice" yacht...

Ed
Good thing this isn't your build. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Personally I don't mind a little project boat because I can bring it to my standards and liking. I know people who have bought very nice boats and gutted them more or less, and put them back together the way they wanted to. What's the difference?
SaltyDawg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 02:01 AM   #15
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Quote:
a. Re-Fiberglass Boat
b. Gel Coat
c. Paint Exterior

Thanks,

Hatch1906
Ok, welcome aboard the board.

It runs and floats, presumably means no leaks, and the engine and driveline work. Then it is indeed a boat. All the rest is just 'windowdressing', right..?

Firstly, why the re-fibreglass & gelcoat job..? I take it is a fibreglass hull. That basic hull then is probably ok. I doubt it has worn away, other than just powdering and degradation to the outer surface. Why can you not just sand her down well, and then re-spray her with several coats of a good 2 pack marine paint. It is what I had done to my hull which was looking decidedly dull and tired, (it is 1975 vintage CHB), and the finish is fantastic.

It is recognised that the new 2 pack paints are actually better protection than gelcoat, and much easier to apply. That's two jobs done in one hit. Make that three if you do the superstructure that way as well, or just use ordinary good marine paint for that, like Interlux TopLac as I did. Not as good as the 2 pack, but cheaper, and easier to do yourself, and still does pretty well. Frankly I would advise getting a professional to spray the 2 pack. I did and no regrets there, but you could save quite a bit by doing the prep yourself.

Then all you have to do is fit her out inside. Are you good at woodwork and cabinetry..? You're already halfway there...

Oh yeah...don't forget the progress photos...
Old 06-25-2016, 06:12 AM   #16

The gel coat is.peeling down to the fiberglass. Do I need to paint or put a new gel coat on then repaint?
Old 06-25-2016, 07:01 AM   #17
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Quote:
The gel coat is.peeling down to the fiberglass. Do I need to paint or put a new gel coat on then repaint?
My understanding is that there is no point in trying to replace gelcoat. That stuff does not go on at all well applied on the outside, it is usually put on the inside of a specially prepared female mold, and the GRP applied to it. In any case, several coats of a two pack paint over a smooth sanded GRP surface will end up easier to do and better. But check that out with a marine maintenance team. I think that's what they will also say.
Old 06-25-2016, 07:07 AM   #18
Guru

Do you see cracks or blisters? Can you post a picture? Pictures will help alot at this point.
Old 06-25-2016, 07:08 AM   #19
Guru

Quote:
First remove the peeling gel coat. Nothing will be long term if the underlying surface is peeling. I would go back with gel coat first. Painting over the gel coat is optional as many boats only have a gel coat exterior.

If you're not familiar with gel coating, read and completely understand preparation requirements before starting to prep the area.

Ted
Old 06-25-2016, 07:17 AM   #20
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
My understanding is that there is no point in trying to replace gelcoat. That stuff does not go on at all well applied on the outside, it is usually put on the inside of a specially prepared female mold, and the GRP applied to it. In any case, several coats of a two pack paint over a smooth sanded GRP surface will end up easier to do and better. But check that out with a marine maintenance team. I think that's what they will also say.
Clearly you don't understand gelcoat application. If you know what you're doing, gelcoat is about as easy to apply as latex paint. Much of the fiberglass work on my boat was over coated with gelcoat before painting. Gelcoat is an easily sandable surface that makes fairing fiberglass much easier and is significantly more durable than a bondo type fairing compounds.

Ted