New to Trawler Life

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Also an elementary teacher. I’ve been spending summers on my trawler to prepare for life aboard when I retire. It is the best!! I can not wait to finally retire! ;)

There are many safe bets when buying a trawler and the Mainship range is one of them. They are popular and probably will remain so for a future possible sale. Go to Yachtworld and in Advanced Search key in 'Trawler' and your price range. A list of possibles will pop up and you can spend many hours sifting through them all to give you an idea of possibilities.

This past Halloween I made the move myself to fulltime liveaboard,and wish I had done it so much sooner,but got a good jump on it now,maybe halfway threw my 1st winter on the north shore of Boston,and love it everyday,slowly working on my fixer upper,i bought a 36 sedan,full displacement,cruiser with a Detroit diesel,the only advice I can give you so far,is when you eventually find your new rig you will know deep down inside that it's the correct vessel for the mission,dont just buy any boat to get started,look around,figure what you want,what you dont need,start looking anywhere and everywhere with in your range,and she will eventually come to you

I like the grand banks, but I really want the doors on the back of the trawler. I just like the look better, but it's not a deal breaker. Thanks for the input!!

There are many safe bets when buying a trawler and the Mainship range is one of them. They are popular and probably will remain so for a future possible sale. Go to Yachtworld and in Advanced Search key in 'Trawler' and your price range. A list of possibles will pop up and you can spend many hours sifting through them all to give you an idea of possibilities.

https://www.denisonyachtsales.com/y...ship-34-Trawler-2005-Savannah-Georgia/7391855

this one is for sale in my area. WHat do you think? I feel like it might be a little over priced, but maybe not.

Isle of Hope Marina is probably the best in the area. A better marina, but farther south, would be Brunswick Landing.

I know people who work there. It is a great marina and in a pretty area. I like Delegal, too.

G'day from Melbourne, Australia. I'm in the process of buying a trawler, so I'm with you ?. Good luck and let us know how you go.

https://www.denisonyachtsales.com/y...ship-34-Trawler-2005-Savannah-Georgia/7391855

this one is for sale in my area. WHat do you think? I feel like it might be a little over priced, but maybe not.
Nice boat. It's sellers market these days and these are popular models. Separate shower is definitely a plus. Plenty of range and fuel to enjoy extended cruising in ICW or the Bahamas (weather permitting, of course).

Here's a walk through video of a sistership.

https://youtu.be/21B7TP3ACsM

And a review of the newer model Mainship 34

https://www.canadianyachting.ca/boat-reviews/72-power/3032-mainship-34-trawler

Good luck

Peter

Nice boat. It's sellers market these days and these are popular models. Separate shower is definitely a plus. Plenty of range and fuel to enjoy extended cruising in ICW or the Bahamas (weather permitting, of course).

Here's a walk through video of a sistership.

https://youtu.be/21B7TP3ACsM

And a review of the newer model Mainship 34

https://www.canadianyachting.ca/boat-reviews/72-power/3032-mainship-34-trawler

Good luck

Peter
Okay, cool. I have actually seen that Youtube video, but not the article. Very helpful, thanks! If you stumble across any boat you think is cool, feel free to send it my way!

Olivia - on an earlier post you mentioned you like the open doors on the back of the boat (similar to mine or the Mainship 34). These are called "Sedans" or "Convertibles" in boat marketing parlance. More common on west coast but worth a look are Bayliner 3870/3888 and it's little sister, the Bayliner 3270/3288. These are getting pretty old and a bit tired so I'm not sure I recommend them, but an amazing use of space. Some of the motoryacht style boats are decent liveaboards. That said, one thing I like about the Mainship 34 you sent is it's a single engine boat - in this size range, I lean towards singles for ease of access to the engines, but that's personal preference.

I too like sedan model boats as the outdoor space is great, especially this time of year (well, I'm guessing its still a bit cold even in Savannah - it's been a cool-ish winter here in St Pete). But you give up the sumptuous aft cabin.

Keep asking questions - ton of good knowledge on this forum.

Peter

Olivia - on an earlier post you mentioned you like the open doors on the back of the boat (similar to mine or the Mainship 34). These are called "Sedans" or "Convertibles" in boat marketing parlance. More common on west coast but worth a look are Bayliner 3870/3888 and it's little sister, the Bayliner 3270/3288. These are getting pretty old and a bit tired so I'm not sure I recommend them, but an amazing use of space. Some of the motoryacht style boats are decent liveaboards. That said, one thing I like about the Mainship 34 you sent is it's a single engine boat - in this size range, I lean towards singles for ease of access to the engines, but that's personal preference.

I too like sedan model boats as the outdoor space is great, especially this time of year (well, I'm guessing its still a bit cold even in Savannah - it's been a cool-ish winter here in St Pete). But you give up the sumptuous aft cabin.

Keep asking questions - ton of good knowledge on this forum.

Peter
Thank you for clearing up that these are called "Sedans" or "Convertibles." I mainly want a boat for outdoor space, that's what is going to sell me on the boat, I feel. The Manatee has both indoor and outdoor functions that I like a lot. The mainship has the outdoor area, too, but not as much as the Manatee. But, I'm not opposed to either. I will look into the Bayliner 3870/3888/Bayliner 3270/328.

Also, yes, it's cold in Sav right now... at least cold to this Georgia peach! Thanks again!

Thank you for clearing up that these are called "Sedans" or "Convertibles." I mainly want a boat for outdoor space, that's what is going to sell me on the boat, I feel. The Manatee has both indoor and outdoor functions that I like a lot. The mainship has the outdoor area, too, but not as much as the Manatee. But, I'm not opposed to either. I will look into the Bayliner 3870/3888/Bayliner 3270/328.

Also, yes, it's cold in Sav right now... at least cold to this Georgia peach! Thanks again!

That’s a good looking Mainship, not too old, but it all depends on how well the previous owner took care of her of course.

I would rather have a single engine setup to make it easier to work on the engine, but the twin engine setup will make it a little easier to handle in close quarters for a novice boater.

Here’s a cool boat you might like. Covered walk around decks. Good amount of interior room. Nice upper fly bridge area. Good dinghy davit system.

Plus it’s got a Single Cummins engine so cheaper to repair and pretty darn roomy in that engine room IMO. Has a bow AND stern thruster so super easy to maneuver at the dock.

It’s not too far away in Maryland (600 miles? Maybe take a week or so?), and I’m sure one of the nice folks here on the TF would help you bring it down. Or if not help in person, they can certainly tell you exactly how to do it from experience.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2004/mariner--38-orient-3711441/

Last edited:
That’s a good looking Mainship, not too old, but it all depends on how well the previous owner took care of her of course.

I would rather have a single engine setup to make it easier to work on the engine, but the twin engine setup will make it a little easier to handle in close quarters for a novice boater.

Here’s a cool boat you might like. Covered walk around decks. Good amount of interior room. Nice upper fly bridge area. Good dinghy davit system.

Plus it’s got a Single Cummins engine so cheaper to repair and pretty darn roomy in that engine room IMO. Has a bow AND stern thruster so super easy to maneuver at the dock.

It’s not too far away in Maryland (600 miles? Maybe take a week or so?), and I’m sure one of the nice folks here on the TF would help you bring it down. Or if not help in person, they can certainly tell you exactly how to do it from experience.

Wow, it does have a lot of interior space and not super old. Thanks! Maryland isn't too bad. Thanks for that! I heard that the number of engines is just a personal preference. I'm not sure how I feel about it yet but having less to break is always a good thing.

I LOVE that boat! Amazing space on the inside and out! I am going to start looking at these boats. I was hoping to get a boat out of Florida or the Carolinas, but I'm not opposed to something farther.

New Trawler

I have no interest at all in working 8 hours and coming home to some lame house I can afford lol I need more out of life. I also realize I'll be working far more than 8 hours day since boats are so much work... but I imagine WORTH IT! lol

I would love to get a Kadey Krogen, I have seen one 2 on the market within my budget but I have no idea if they will cost me a lot in the long run since they're on the cheaper side. But, I am open to other brands of trawlers between 34-42 feet in the $100,000 price range. I just don't want to get stuck with junk.

Marina slip availability is pretty good in Savannah. I also know someone who runs a marina here and they have a good bit of space available for liveaboards.

Grand Banks 36.

Back
Top Bottom