Old 01-12-2021, 05:56 PM   #21

City: Savannah
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnS View Post
I liked the Mainships for the openness of the cocpit and the walk-in to the saloon. Great spaces there, also fairly easy to get around on the side decks.
We chose our Cheoy Lee for the walk around queen master with a large shower, 6'6" head room, and the absence of the stern shiding glass doors.
When I worked offshore, we were caught in bad weather several times, and I was looking at worst cases when we selected our boat.
JohnS
Yes, I like the openness too! I really like the glass doors on the back. Why didn't you want that? Because of bad weather?

OliviaLubeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 09:36 PM   #22

City: Indianapolis
Vessel Name: MV La Vita Dolce
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 40 LRC
Yes. I have been caught offshore in bad thunderstorms on the Texas Gulf Coast and that much glass worried me.
But then I am a pessimist that way.
For the worst one, we were on a helicopter and couldn't outrun it. Shut down on an oil platform to wait it out, but the seas went to 25+ in shallow water, the winds went to 125, and the helicopter was torn from the tiedowns and tossed overboard.
Not usual weather, and long forecasted, but the sea can be unforgiving.
Keep an eye on the forecasts, DON'T try to keep a schedule, and have fun.
Fair winds, JohnS

Old 01-13-2021, 12:22 AM   #23

City: Kenosha, WI
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Vessel Model: Hershine 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by OliviaLubeck View Post
Hi! I am planning to dock at a marina in my area and live on the boat. I imagine I'll travel up/down the coast during summer. Since I work in Savannah during the school year, I will have to stay local unless I decided to move, which I don't think I will. I know hurricanes can be a problem and getting boat insurance for a trawler on the east coast is difficult I hear but I'll have to navigate it somehow I guess!

Get a quote before you buy! Many insurance companies will not insure a boater jumping up in size especially in an older boat.
Greatlaker221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 12:52 AM   #24
Guru

City: Gulf Islands
Vessel Name: Soo Valley
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
Olivia. Pick a boat you may be interested in and go to an insurance agent, to a marina of your choice and eliminate insurance and moorage as a obstacle. The threads here lately have centered on insurance, in named storm areas, for liveaboards, for those boating for decades.
Then when you eliminate your area, consider the PNW for a boat and a summer away adventure.
Soo-Valley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 08:57 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnS View Post
Yes. I have been caught offshore in bad thunderstorms on the Texas Gulf Coast and that much glass worried me.
But then I am a pessimist that way.
For the worst one, we were on a helicopter and couldn't outrun it. Shut down on an oil platform to wait it out, but the seas went to 25+ in shallow water, the winds went to 125, and the helicopter was torn from the tiedowns and tossed overboard.
Not usual weather, and long forecasted, but the sea can be unforgiving.
Keep an eye on the forecasts, DON'T try to keep a schedule, and have fun.
Fair winds, JohnS
That's so scary! I don't even have a boat yet and look at the weather every day. Those summer storms come on quickly and can be scary. Thanks for your input.
Old 01-13-2021, 08:58 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatlaker221 View Post
Get a quote before you buy! Many insurance companies will not insure a boater jumping up in size especially in an older boat.
Thanks for the comment. I will do that for sure.
Old 01-13-2021, 08:59 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soo-Valley View Post
Olivia. Pick a boat you may be interested in and go to an insurance agent, to a marina of your choice and eliminate insurance and moorage as a obstacle. The threads here lately have centered on insurance, in named storm areas, for liveaboards, for those boating for decades.
Then when you eliminate your area, consider the PNW for a boat and a summer away adventure.
Great advice. I will do that! Thanks!
Old 01-18-2021, 02:43 PM   #28
Veteran Member

City: Green Cove Springs
Vessel Name: Laa-Dee-Dah
Vessel Model: 64’ Grand Banks Aleutian
No advice here just a note for clarification. Boat US gave me a quote for a 64’ Grand Banks for anywhere in US or Caribbean less than a year ago so this policy of limiting insurance for smaller boats only must have changed.
garychurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 02:47 PM   #29
Guru

City: Fleming Island, Fl
Vessel Name: Sakura Perdido
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36 Classic
Trawlers

Quote:
I have no interest at all in working 8 hours and coming home to some lame house I can afford lol I need more out of life. I also realize I'll be working far more than 8 hours day since boats are so much work... but I imagine WORTH IT! lol

I would love to get a Kadey Krogen, I have seen one 2 on the market within my budget but I have no idea if they will cost me a lot in the long run since they're on the cheaper side. But, I am open to other brands of trawlers between 34-42 feet in the $100,000 price range. I just don't want to get stuck with junk.

Marina slip availability is pretty good in Savannah. I also know someone who runs a marina here and they have a good bit of space available for liveaboards.
KKs are fantastic boats. They (and similar boats) are referred to as "Expedition" Trawlers. Which means you are paying for strength and other features that you will never need or use. It's kind of like saying "I want a safe car" and someone suggesting that you buy a tank.

While I'm prejudiced, I think that for what you are describing, you can't beat a Grand Banks 36 Classic. Check them out online. You can get a nice one for $100k and it will hold it's value (as much as any boat does). You can find some with the wood decks already removed (as I did) or you can get one with all the wood still on it and that will give you something to do while dockside
You might be able to substitute large boat experience with a trawler course, of which there are several on the East Coast and maybe a Power Squadron class. Talk to GEICO/Boats US insurance, tell them about yourself and what you want to do and see what they will insure.

Then come back here and start asking questions. There are a ton of things you need to be aware of when buying an older Trawler, particularly if you aren't that familiar with large boats.

Good Luck!
Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 03:32 PM   #30

City: St. Louis, MO
Live aboard marinas in GA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
BTW - not sure about Savannah, but liveaboard slips in many areas can be difficult. May want to consider a marina and slip availability to make sure you get a hand-in-glove fit.
Isle of Hope Marina is probably the best in the area. A better marina, but farther south, would be Brunswick Landing.
Kintala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 04:29 PM   #31

City: Coventry
Also an elementary teacher. I’ve been spending summers on my trawler to prepare for life aboard when I retire. It is the best!! I can not wait to finally retire!
KFitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 07:41 PM   #32
Veteran Member

City: Naples Fl
Vessel Name: Phantom
Vessel Model: Cheer Men PT41
There are many safe bets when buying a trawler and the Mainship range is one of them. They are popular and probably will remain so for a future possible sale. Go to Yachtworld and in Advanced Search key in 'Trawler' and your price range. A list of possibles will pop up and you can spend many hours sifting through them all to give you an idea of possibilities.
mickand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 08:48 PM   #33

City: North
Vessel Name: Broadbill
Vessel Model: Willard 36
This past Halloween I made the move myself to fulltime liveaboard,and wish I had done it so much sooner,but got a good jump on it now,maybe halfway threw my 1st winter on the north shore of Boston,and love it everyday,slowly working on my fixer upper,i bought a 36 sedan,full displacement,cruiser with a Detroit diesel,the only advice I can give you so far,is when you eventually find your new rig you will know deep down inside that it's the correct vessel for the mission,dont just buy any boat to get started,look around,figure what you want,what you dont need,start looking anywhere and everywhere with in your range,and she will eventually come to you
Lostsailor13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 02:05 PM   #34

I like the grand banks, but I really want the doors on the back of the trawler. I just like the look better, but it's not a deal breaker. Thanks for the input!!
Old 01-19-2021, 02:07 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickand View Post
There are many safe bets when buying a trawler and the Mainship range is one of them. They are popular and probably will remain so for a future possible sale. Go to Yachtworld and in Advanced Search key in 'Trawler' and your price range. A list of possibles will pop up and you can spend many hours sifting through them all to give you an idea of possibilities.
https://www.denisonyachtsales.com/ya...eorgia/7391855

this one is for sale in my area. WHat do you think? I feel like it might be a little over priced, but maybe not.
Old 01-19-2021, 02:09 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kintala View Post
Isle of Hope Marina is probably the best in the area. A better marina, but farther south, would be Brunswick Landing.

I know people who work there. It is a great marina and in a pretty area. I like Delegal, too.
Old 01-20-2021, 05:04 AM   #37
Veteran Member

City: Melbourne, Australia 🇦🇺
Vessel Name: Markeeta
Vessel Model: 1982 Island Gypsy 32
G'day from Melbourne, Australia. I'm in the process of buying a trawler, so I'm with you 👍. Good luck and let us know how you go.
DeanOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 06:01 AM   #38
Guru

City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
Quote:
https://www.denisonyachtsales.com/ya...eorgia/7391855

this one is for sale in my area. WHat do you think? I feel like it might be a little over priced, but maybe not.
Nice boat. It's sellers market these days and these are popular models. Separate shower is definitely a plus. Plenty of range and fuel to enjoy extended cruising in ICW or the Bahamas (weather permitting, of course).

Here's a walk through video of a sistership.

https://youtu.be/21B7TP3ACsM

And a review of the newer model Mainship 34

https://www.canadianyachting.ca/boat...hip-34-trawler

Good luck

Peter
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 07:44 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
Nice boat. It's sellers market these days and these are popular models. Separate shower is definitely a plus. Plenty of range and fuel to enjoy extended cruising in ICW or the Bahamas (weather permitting, of course).

Here's a walk through video of a sistership.

https://youtu.be/21B7TP3ACsM

And a review of the newer model Mainship 34

https://www.canadianyachting.ca/boat...hip-34-trawler

Good luck

Peter
Okay, cool. I have actually seen that Youtube video, but not the article. Very helpful, thanks! If you stumble across any boat you think is cool, feel free to send it my way!
Old 01-20-2021, 08:33 AM   #40
Guru

City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
Olivia - on an earlier post you mentioned you like the open doors on the back of the boat (similar to mine or the Mainship 34). These are called "Sedans" or "Convertibles" in boat marketing parlance. More common on west coast but worth a look are Bayliner 3870/3888 and it's little sister, the Bayliner 3270/3288. These are getting pretty old and a bit tired so I'm not sure I recommend them, but an amazing use of space. Some of the motoryacht style boats are decent liveaboards. That said, one thing I like about the Mainship 34 you sent is it's a single engine boat - in this size range, I lean towards singles for ease of access to the engines, but that's personal preference.

I too like sedan model boats as the outdoor space is great, especially this time of year (well, I'm guessing its still a bit cold even in Savannah - it's been a cool-ish winter here in St Pete). But you give up the sumptuous aft cabin.

Keep asking questions - ton of good knowledge on this forum.

Peter

mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote