Old 08-29-2016, 11:12 AM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Central Florida
Vessel Name: Cocoa Beach
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Tradewinds 43'
Question New to The Trawler Forum

Hello All,
We are Newbies, so be Gentle. We are in process of purchasing a boat suitable for The Loop, with thoughts of becoming Live A Boards. We have Reached Out to a Trawler Forum member that currently owns The Same Boat we are about to Survey & Sea Trial with hopes of getting Real Time information on the boats Plus' & Minus'. We welcome input & opinions(Oh Yeah, we asked for it!!) as we look to possibly own a Marine Trader Tradewinds 43'. She is a 1990 with twin Cummins 210's, and other than needing a Good Detail, could be a good Starting Point as we try to make Her our own. Relatively low hours on the Twins at 1900, and a host of current electronics only installed a couple years ago, the boat has had its hull cleaned every 6 to 8 wks for years. We know price can be relative, but we believe we are seeing quite a bit of a difference in the quality, to many other Taiwanese Trawler of this era. For lack of a better term, the hardware & other equipment just seems 'Beefy." Very Solid. No leaks inside from any Window or Port hole. NO musty smell as you walk aboard, and the boat has been sitting unused for about 11 months. The current owner is now too old to cruise, and must pass it on. We negotiated down to the low $80's before the Survey - and will renegotiate from there if need be. Question? Have we reached a Good Place price wise, Give or Take a few thousand? We know what else we wish to do the boat initially, and see putting in another $10,000.00, for our comfort & piece of mind.
We Appreciate Any Information.
Tamara & Kim
Ransom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 11:30 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Welcome aboard, and glad to have you with us.
Old 08-29-2016, 12:34 PM   #3
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
Welcome aboard!!!! As far as your question goes, I do not know that market well but it does seem like a decent price by the way you describe it. Those engines should serve you well.
Meridian 411...T-Cummins 450C
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 12:41 PM   #4
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ransom View Post
Question? Have we reached a Good Place price wise, Give or Take a few thousand? We know what else we wish to do the boat initially, and see putting in another $10,000.00, for our comfort & piece of mind.
If you've found the boat that fits your needs and your wallet, then you've reached a good place. I'd say the same thing if you'd reached a price $10k higher or lower. For the loop and possible live aboard, it's all about finding the fit. Also, if a boat is in better condition than most of it's age and type, then paying that premium is nothing at all, because not only will you save, but you'll get to use it sooner.

I like the reason it's available. Logical. Not someone who just decided it was more trouble than it was worth. Instead, someone who loved it but has just aged out of it.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 08:06 PM   #5

City: St. Johns
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: C&L 39' Sea Ranger
Welcome aboard!!! As a new member (four months) the expertise here is phenomenal and the membership the friendliest I've seen. You've come to the right place, again welcome.
Saber4mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 08:17 PM   #6
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Welcome aboard.

May I ask, what is your boating history/experience?
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 08:53 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
If you've found the boat that fits your needs and your wallet, then you've reached a good place. I'd say the same thing if you'd reached a price $10k higher or lower. For the loop and possible live aboard, it's all about finding the fit. Also, if a boat is in better condition than most of it's age and type, then paying that premium is nothing at all, because not only will you save, but you'll get to use it sooner.

I like the reason it's available. Logical. Not someone who just decided it was more trouble than it was worth. Instead, someone who loved it but has just aged out of it.
Thanks for the Confirmation. Yes, the boat appears to Have Been Loved. It just got a little too much for the Owner & His Wife. They have owned the boat since 1996, and are now in the 80's. A little Updating and She'll be ready again.
Thanks.
KIM
Old 08-29-2016, 09:18 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
Welcome aboard.

May I ask, what is your boating history/experience?
Well, I have been boating since the mid 70's, and I learned to handle large vessels in the oddest of places. Would you believe I worked in Walt Disney's Navy.
I originally started on a 38' Motor launch moving people around from their hotel's to the Park. I then learned to operate a 66' twin screw Motor Cruiser, doing much the same thing. I then learned to operate a 100' operating side paddle wheel steamship. A very Cool Old Boat, but Cheated a little, it had a bow thruster. I then learned to operate a 120' 200 ton ferryboat. After a while, I was made a trainer, and taught others to operate the same. Yes, we were LandLocked on the Seven Seas Lagoon and Bay Lake, but have made literally many hundreds of docking's in some pretty lousy conditions. In the last 20 or so years we've pleasure boated in and around the Port Canaveral & New Smyrna area as well as many trips to the Key's to try to sweet talk a few lobster out of the homes. It is now time to take that practical experience and put it to Good Use.
Old 08-29-2016, 09:29 PM   #9

City: Florida
Vessel Name: Lady Di
Vessel Model: 2012 Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
Great experience! I'll bet you know the horn signals cold! Almost constant around the WDW lakes.
rclarke246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 04:41 AM   #10

City: Florida
Vessel Name: Lady Di
Vessel Model: 2012 Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
I'd guess that 90% of the boating public do not know even the most basic horn signals!

Even scarier, 50% of these don't use their radios either!
rclarke246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 06:27 AM   #11
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Ransom
Wow... great experience from the inland Navy.
Welcome aboard TF...a great bunch of folks here with common interest but vastly different experience...and sometimes opinions

Sounds like you have done your homework.
Good luck w the adventure
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 06:50 AM   #12
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ransom View Post
Well, I have been boating since the mid 70's, and I learned to handle large vessels in the oddest of places. Would you believe I worked in Walt Disney's Navy.
I originally started on a 38' Motor launch moving people around from their hotel's to the Park. I then learned to operate a 66' twin screw Motor Cruiser, doing much the same thing. I then learned to operate a 100' operating side paddle wheel steamship. A very Cool Old Boat, but Cheated a little, it had a bow thruster. I then learned to operate a 120' 200 ton ferryboat. After a while, I was made a trainer, and taught others to operate the same. Yes, we were LandLocked on the Seven Seas Lagoon and Bay Lake, but have made literally many hundreds of docking's in some pretty lousy conditions. In the last 20 or so years we've pleasure boated in and around the Port Canaveral & New Smyrna area as well as many trips to the Key's to try to sweet talk a few lobster out of the homes. It is now time to take that practical experience and put it to Good Use.
Very neat, are you still there or now retired?
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 07:03 AM   #13
Veteran Member

We are semi retired, have been for about 10 years. Our business interests should be able to be handled from the Loop. Communication being what is now - has made our lives much easier. The only thing that may not be easy is taking off and leaving an emerging Gaggle of Grand Children. Could be many quick trips home as we ease into this lifestyle.
Old 08-30-2016, 07:12 AM   #14
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Welcome, and sounds like you know enough already to be 'good to go', as they say.
Old 08-30-2016, 07:16 AM   #15

City: Marathon
Vessel Name: silver gift
Vessel Model: 45 jefferson
Welcome to the form. If you get to the marathon area on you loop trip stop by harbour cay club marina. We are living aboard for 5years now and love it. Hope you get the boat.
Deckape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 07:37 AM   #16

City: Merritt Island,Fl
Vessel Name: Sue Marie
Vessel Model: Prarie 29
Welcome aboard. Sounds like your going into this with your eyes wide open. Good luck and enjoy.

John
Sue Marie
Sortie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 07:52 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
Welcome, and sounds like you know enough already to be 'good to go', as they say.
If Perception Was Reality We'd Leave Tomorrow. There is still a Learning Curve to catch up too.
Old 08-30-2016, 02:18 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Thanks, You could very well see us there Winter after this one. When we should be making a turn to Port towards Lake OKeechobee, we're already talking about Wintering down there. You are off of Vaca Cut? We spent many Lobster Seasons all around the Big Pine Key area. Beautiful!!!!
Old 09-01-2016, 07:10 PM   #19
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Welcome to the forum, Steamboat Willie! Did you drive the boats in a costume or uniform? Bet you've got some good stories. Got any pics to show off?

Sounds like you're buying the boat at exactly the right time in your lives. Enough time to make it yours and ensure reliability while your getting to know her and while you're still working. If unexpected expenses arise, you'll be prepared to handle them...even if it means working another year or so. Once you retire, you'll be ready to cast off the lines and chase your passions. I think we can all relate to that.

I only have one question....

Were any of those Disney boats your drove being dragged around in a circle on an amusement ride in one of those lagoons in the park?

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 07:31 PM   #20
Guru

City: Trenton
I always wanted to run the boat on the "Jungle Cruise".
alormaria is offline   Reply With Quote