Old 06-07-2020, 01:44 PM   #1
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: SEA WOLF
Vessel Model: 1979 CHB 41 Trawler
New Trawler convert: CHB 41 in San Diego

Hi all,

I've been lurking here for a while soaking up trawler expertise as we carefully considered our transition from the Beneteau First 405 sloop we owned for the last 5 years. We're a young family of 5, 3 girls ages 6,10,12 based in San Diego. I was looking for more comfort for the family and a bit more space for extended coastal cruising.

A lifelong sailor, I never thought I'd be looking at "stinkpots", but after looking hard at what we actually like doing, and the reality of cruising out of San Diego (mostly motoring!) brought us to our new vessel, a three stateroom 1979 CHB 41, of which we will take possession on Tuesday. The family is very excited! Just ordered a #7 Super Sarca for the bow, and looking forward to a summer of cruising.

Looking forward to spending time here and getting tips on maintaining the acres and acres of teak...
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4200 2.jpg  
socalrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 01:55 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Welcome aboard. Congrats on your new boat. Have fun with it.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 02:09 PM   #3
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalrider View Post
Hi all,

I've been lurking here for a while soaking up trawler expertise as we carefully considered our transition from the Beneteau First 405 sloop we owned for the last 5 years. We're a young family of 5, 3 girls ages 6,10,12 based in San Diego. I was looking for more comfort for the family and a bit more space for extended coastal cruising.

A lifelong sailor, I never thought I'd be looking at "stinkpots", but after looking hard at what we actually like doing, and the reality of cruising out of San Diego (mostly motoring!) brought us to our new vessel, a three stateroom 1979 CHB 41, of which we will take possession on Tuesday. The family is very excited! Just ordered a #7 Super Sarca for the bow, and looking forward to a summer of cruising.

Looking forward to spending time here and getting tips on maintaining the acres and acres of teak...
I spent 4 years in San Diego Bay, three of them living aboard my Grand Banks 42 classic; so I know a thing or two about conditions there regarding teak. IMHO, the best thing you can do is to clean the decks once with Marine Tex TE-KA teak wood cleaner and thereafter wash the decks at least weekly with saltwater right out of the bay using mild soap and scrubbing ACROSS the grain of the wood so as not to tear out the softer fibers. If the teak is already badly grooved from incorrect directional scrubbing, a light sanding before TE-KA treatment will work. I had to do that once early on in my 29 years of owning that boat, but I never had to do it again because I cleaned the deck properly thereafter. Do not worry that after a year or so after the TE-KA treatment the wood turns to is natural weathered silver-gray. Just keep cleaning it as above. The light color reflects the sun's rays well. Don't make the mistake of thinking the teak needs to be a nice brownish color and attempt to maintain that by coating it with some oil or other finish. That might be ok in Seattle, but your childrens' burnt feet and cries of pain will make you regret the day you ever did it - I speak from my own sorry, very hot boat experience in San Diego Bay.

Glad to see you in out of the "lurk."
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 03:22 PM   #4
Guru

City: Nanaimo
Vessel Name: former owner of "Pilitak"
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Welcome to the "Dark Side" as well as this forum. Rich gave good advice about the teak. The only other issue that concerns me is all of the screws and potential leaks. Hopefully you don't have that, yet. I think you will like the fact that at least some of the exterior trim has covers. Keeps it looking better with less work! It sound like the boat will meet the needs of your family and I hope you can create many happy family times together, all while enjoying the many benefits of the "Dark Side" lifestyle.

Enjoy.
Old 06-07-2020, 04:31 PM   #5
Guru

Thanks guys!

Yeah, there are a few bungs missing but nothing to bad - the PO kept the boat in good shape. Though the decks are beautiful I'd prefer fiberglass! They should provide many more years of service if taken care of. I'll follow your advice and stay on top of the bungs as well. No signs of leak/rot, but according to my surveyor it can be tough to spot.

We're going to pretty much leave everything as-is for now and enjoy her over the summer; she has simple systems - minimal electronics, twin FL120s, etc. There are some projects but nothing urgent. I'm sure we'll have a long project list accumulated by the fall!
Old 06-07-2020, 04:55 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Yes, with as much teak as you have, keep on top of it as far as preventative maintenance as possible. Get the bungs replaced asap. Keep a close eye on the caulking and if you find a place where it has separated get it fixed right away. You don’t want leaking into the core. If you do get leaking into the core, you will be going to the fiberglass decks that you like...
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 06:59 PM   #7
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Socalrider said, (among other things)...

"Just ordered a #7 Super Sarca for the bow, and looking forward to a summer of cruising."

Socalrider, welcome to TF. Much has already been said, so I'll just say, from personal experience, I can assure you your choice of anchor will never be regretted.
Old 06-08-2020, 11:42 AM   #8
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
If you do get leaking into the core, you will be going to the fiberglass decks that you like...
Yup - the idea is to keep the teak up, but I've also factored the possibility of a deck removal job in; the price was reasonable enough that I wouldn't be devastated. Helps to have Mexican labor rates just around the corner. But certainly hoping to defer that expense for as long as possible so long as the maintenance burden isn't too bad.

From what I'm hearing it's pretty reasonable compared to the brightwork... kids were so excited by the boat that they swore up and down they'd learn to varnish. "Get it in writing!" a friend said. It does look nice, but I'd prefer something that could be maintained with a power washer

Taking possession Tuesday! Keeping the slip in Kona Kai for now. Psyched!
Old 06-08-2020, 01:02 PM   #9
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Power washers are nice, but they are death to teak decks.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 10:03 PM   #10
Guru

Vessel Name: North Star
Vessel Model: Lindell 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by socalrider View Post
Yup - the idea is to keep the teak up, but I've also factored the possibility of a deck removal job in; the price was reasonable enough that I wouldn't be devastated. Helps to have Mexican labor rates just around the corner. But certainly hoping to defer that expense for as long as possible so long as the maintenance burden isn't too bad.

From what I'm hearing it's pretty reasonable compared to the brightwork... kids were so excited by the boat that they swore up and down they'd learn to varnish. "Get it in writing!" a friend said. It does look nice, but I'd prefer something that could be maintained with a power washer

Taking possession Tuesday! Keeping the slip in Kona Kai for now. Psyched!
Good luck with the boat. Kona Kai is a great place to keep it. May see you down there in a few months.
Old 06-13-2020, 05:58 AM   #11
Veteran Member

City: Henderson, NC
Welcome aboard - for different reasons we too came to the dark side this spring. Sailing my entire life - but the Admiral thinks it good to do the loop in the comfort of a trawler. Good luck fair winds and following seas
TWille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 09:21 AM   #12
Guru

City: San Diego, CA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Hatteras 48 LRC
Welcome. I am right now anchored in the A1 anchorage of La Playa looking across at Kona Kai. Beautiful Saturday morning. If not already in a club I would welcome you to check out Southwestern Yacht Club. Great activities for families and an active cruisers club (once we return to normal). I am headed over along with a buddy boat to Catalina 6/26 if you are ready to start cruising yet. My current boat is Freedom a 1976 Hatteras 48 LRC. No name yet on the transom yet in case you are trying to spot it. Will be here until tomorrow afternoon then return to our slip at HIW. Your family will have great fun on your new boat.
READY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 06:15 PM   #13
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by READY View Post
Welcome. I am right now anchored in the A1 anchorage of La Playa looking across at Kona Kai. Beautiful Saturday morning. If not already in a club I would welcome you to check out Southwestern Yacht Club. Great activities for families and an active cruisers club (once we return to normal). I am headed over along with a buddy boat to Catalina 6/26 if you are ready to start cruising yet. My current boat is Freedom a 1976 Hatteras 48 LRC. No name yet on the transom yet in case you are trying to spot it. Will be here until tomorrow afternoon then return to our slip at HIW. Your family will have great fun on your new boat.
Thanks all!

We've been out at our boat every day since we got her. The family is just over the moon, and I'm really happy to be able to spend this much time on the water. Getting them to come for a sail was like pulling teeth every time. Going to overnight at the marina tonight. We're slowly figuring out all the systems, introducing the dog, etc.

READY, I'll say hi if I see you there this evening or tomorrow am - I've been pooting around the harbor shuttling kids to Kellogg Beach and generally enjoying life for the past several evenings in the little 11' Whaler tender that came with the mothership. I love the SW Yacht Club - had our older girls in the sailing program for a couple of weeks last year and it was great. I'd join but last I checked there was quite a wait for a 40' slip. Beautiful spot.
Old 06-13-2020, 06:26 PM   #14
Guru

Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgano View Post
IMHO, the best thing you can do is to clean the decks once with Marine Tex TE-KA teak wood cleaner and thereafter wash the decks at least weekly with saltwater right out of the bay using mild soap and scrubbing ACROSS the grain of the wood so as not to tear out the softer fibers. "
Absolutely correct! Below is my 14 year old cockpit deck.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1989.jpg