New to site

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

4Fun

I am in the beginning process of purchasing a used(2005 Main Ship trawler for my son. Reading some posts it appears they are out of business? Are parts hard to find? Does anyone know where to purchase the sofa-bed that was put in this boat originally? Thank you

I am in the beginning process of purchasing a used(2005 Main Ship trawler for my son. Reading some posts it appears they are out of business? Are parts hard to find? Does anyone know where to purchase the sofa-bed that was put in this boat originally? Thank you
Welcome aboard TF
We have a 2008 34 HT.
What model / size are you looking at?
Yes MS is out of business but most parts are available. Like most boat builders the components and appliances are fairly common suppliers.
Many prior & current MS owners here on TF and most are happy with their boats.
AFA the sofa, I believe my '08 it was made for MS so not available directly. IMO it was not very comfortable as a sofa and we replaced it w 2 recliners. Sold ours to a MS owner that was doing some refurb. Many replace it with home or RV furniture, futons, etc.

Like Don says, there really is no such thing as a "Mainship" part right down to the knobs on the doors. About the only thing original to MS is the mold for the hull, not unlike all boat makers.

BTW, if you are looking to adopt, I find myself available.:dance:

Welcome aboard. Mainships are nice boats if they were maintained, just like any other boat...

So Dad, are you in the market for another son?

pete

LOL, I am the mother, no Dad...........but always room for great boaters

Thank you for your information. I am looking for a 40ft trawler, right now the main ship seems to fit most of the bill. It is a 2007

Greetings,
Welcome aboard. Aw snap! Is it too late to get into the adoption line?

iu

I come with a GREAT apple pie recipe...

Thank u so much for your information. Do u know what size generator is generally used on this boat. The boat I am looking at does not have a generator so I will need to purchase one. Is there anything in particular that is disliked about this boat that u know about? Thanks .”, bonnie

We have a 41’ trawler. Our genset is a 9KW Onan. Personally I think it is a bit too big and would be happy with a bit smaller one since we usually don’t load this one up enough to make it work.

Hi Bonnie, and welcome to the site. You are a very generous mother!
I don't have a lot of familiarity with the exact model you are looking at. Have you considered other makes and models, as getting focused too early in the process of buying a "first boat" could lead to a less than optimal decision? I am not saying anything bad about this boat, just trying to ensure that you end up with a boat that meets the needs and wants of your son.
As far as generators go, I have a 9 kilowatt Onan as well. If you want and regularly use air conditioning, a 9 KW is probably OK. I dont' have AC, so as Dave says, I have to run electric heaters on deck sometimes (on hot summer days) to load it up properly. I would be better with about a 5-6 KW. My boat is a Nordic Tug 37, so about 40 feet overall, so a similar size to what you are looking at. Northern Lights makes a good unit.

Good luck in your hunt, and your son is a lucky guy!

Probably half the boats on this site are from manufacturers who are out of business. Realize a boat is kind of like a bicycle. On a bike, the manufacture might only make the frame, the rest of the parts are out sourced. Same with a boat, so engine made by one company, fridge by another, electronics by another. So getting a boat that is made by a manufacture that is out of business isn't as critical as you might think.

Yes, the manufacturer of our boat has been out of business for many years now. It isn’t a problem.

Sorry, Mom.. So do you want to adopt another son? I promise I will call you three times a week, I have three children who come looking for a grandma and seven grandkids who would be your new great grandkids.

We are kind of a "package deal", Ill even drag my wife into the deal and you can call her your new daughter in law.

pete

Thank you so very much. You said exactly what I feel. I wonder if my son has explored all boat possibilities. We have looked at a number and cost is a factor. He likes the “tug” but from what we found a bit on the more costly side. Thank you for your information on generators, I admit I know nothing except the most popular brands. So your response is very appreciated. I love adding to my sons happiness. He is so good, works 7 day’s a week sometimes 2 jobs a day. He’s a gray son. Have a beautiful day

Cute. LOL. Thanks for the laugh. Enjoy your day. Lucky family!!!!!!
Bonnie

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom