New to the site

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ramkay

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Ramkay
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 32
Hello, can anyone let me know please what is the rated total capacity in terms of persons and weight of a GB32 and if there is a manufacturer's rating plate on the GB32 year 1978? Thank you girls and boys.
Ramkay

Welcome aboard Ramkay. AFAIK, unlike dinghies and small outboard boats, larger boats like trawlers do not have a rated carrying capacity.

As a practical matter, I wouldn't put more than 4 people on the fly bridge of a GB 32 if underway in any kind of sea. While tied to the dock or even anchored I could go with more, maybe 6-8 up there, more in the main salon.

David

Wild assed, semi scientific guess would be that your boat weighs about 15,000 pounds with a single engine. Should be able to carry up to a dozen passengers in calm seas with only a few on the fly bridge. About half that number for a rough crossing.

Welcome Aboard,

pete

Thanks David. Here in France, boats that are less than 20m LOA have to comply with the French chartering requirements for up to 12 passengers. All navigation is in interior waters, rivers and canals which are mirror smooth with no turbulence whatsoever and maximum speed of 15kms/hour. So my aim is to provide the river authorities with some kind of official manufacturer's specs from American Marine Ltd., the builder of the GB32 in that regards. Appreciate the help. Best regards.

Thanks Pete. Do you by any chance know anything about the brand and model of the hydraulic bow thruster used on the GB32 manufactured in the seventies? Mine just went bust last week.

Thanks Alaskan, good to be here. Miss my RI Narragansett Bay though.

Not familiar with your bow thruster. They are usually pretty easy to find and identify. It's under the "V" berth, just behind the chain locker. Lift a few cushions and a couple boards and there she is.

Sure, they wear out and go "bust" but tell us a little about the symptoms. As often as not they are a shear pin or electrical connections problems.

pete

Boat capacity plates in the USA

Under the U.S. Coast Guard Federal Boat Safety Act of 1971, boats less than 20 feet powered with an inboard, outboard, or stern drive engine manufactured after November 1, 1972, must display a capacity plate defining the safe load limits.

Pete, under my V berth is the tunnel with the hydraulic hoses connection. No access to the bow thruster unless the boat is out of the water. Photos attached.

Attachments

• 20200316_171238.jpg
    20200316_171238.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 29
  • 20200316_171317.jpg
    20200316_171317.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 27
  • 20180827_114824.jpg
    20180827_114824.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 28
Someone explain to me the relationship of a thruster to the person-capacity of a boat. You know, one can start a new thread on a totally unrelated topic.

Regardless of a boat's carrying capacity, too many persons aboard will interfere with the boat's safe operation (distractions, interrupting visibility, and so on)

Start with the boat's sleeping capacity, and if day sailing, a few more. Twelve would be crowded on a 32-foot boat. Eight would be plenty. Best to query the French with your boat's specifics.

Got enough personal flotation devices aboard?

Last edited:
Thanks Mark. Indeed the bow thruster issue has nothing to do with the boat capacity, it's a totally seperate issue. All the charter cruises that I'm booking are for few hours on the Seine River in Paris and mainly not exceeding 6 to 8 passengers. In order to bring my boat up to par with the French and since there is no capacity plate on the boat, I was just wondering if anyone from you, well experienced guys, could assist me with this info. And yes, plenty of flotation devices.

That, my friend is a hydraulic thruster. Not often seen on boats as small as yours. They are good and bad as they can be run almost non stop without overheating but there is a lot of extra pumps, hoses and switches involved.

To identify it you could probably look at the main hydraulic pump, might be on the engine or some remote location.

Possibly repairable but it looks to be in pretty bad condition. I would consider replacing it.

pete

I dont care what the capacity plate says, WHY would I want more than 6 people on board for a day trip? Why would I want more than 4 people on board for an over night trip?
Space will be at a premium while underway and you sure dont want a mess of folks moving to one side of the boat to look at something "interesting".
There was a ship that was swamped in Chicago, many years ago. It was a factory picnic and before they untied, everyone went to the dock side of the boat, tipping it over. 100s drown
Of course if you are involved in a Dunkirk style evacuation, that's a different story. Distribute the weight evenly and make them stay put.
Just make sure you have enough PFDs on board.

Last edited:
Hydraulic bow thruster 1978 GB32

Hello everybody, my hydraulic bow thruster on my 1978 GB32 just let go. Lost all the hydraulic fluid and there's only a grinding noise when I move the joy stick. Does anyone knows what model thruster is that? Also where can I find a replacement for it that would match. The hydraulic lines are relatively new as well as the hydraulic casing.

Attachments

• 20200316_171317.jpg
    20200316_171317.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 20180827_114824.jpg
    20180827_114824.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 20200316_171238.jpg
    20200316_171238.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 20191106_114409.jpg
    20191106_114409.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 10
Is it possible that you have a shear pin on the prop?

I'm sorry but I don't know what that is. I had an underwater inspection prior to this happening and everything seemed to be fine. I was seeing an oily sheen on the water surface every time I was using the thruster lately though. Could it possibly be seals that need to be replaced and the thruster overhauled instead of replacement. It's the original thruster 42 years old.

Only one way to find out, gotta haul the boat.

Yea I guess so, that's what I was afraid of. Here in France in the Paris region not too many boat repair facilities. I'll have to take a 4 day trip on the river to get to a qualified boatyard in Normandy. Bummer

Yea I guess so, that's what I was afraid of. Here in France in the Paris region not too many boat repair facilities. I'll have to take a 4 day trip on the river to get to a qualified boatyard in Normandy. Bummer

A four-day trip down the Seine; are we supposed to be feeling sorry for you? :flowers:

������of course!

But of course! Don't you know it's a long boring ride?

Attachments

• 20200731_200214.jpg
    20200731_200214.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 5
But you are on your boat; so it balances out.

Back
Top Bottom