New owner of a trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ostriman

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Our Happy Place
Vessel Make
Kha Shing Vista Sundeck Aft Cabin 46
We will close on our new boat this week. She will be renamed OUR HAPPY PLACE and will live up to that moniker. We are moving up to a Kha Shing Vista Sundeck 46 from a Carver Montego 32. It was just a bit crowded on weekends with only the 2 of us. I still believe the visit 6, feed 4 and sleep 2 rule will apply like in the land based 5th wheel.
We hang out at Galveston Yacht Basin, so stop by. The Keurig will have a hot cup waiting!
Any words of wisdom on moving to the much bigger boat and diesel over gas engines? I am pretty good with a wrench. I know the muffler has a water leak and the hand pump on the port fuel needs rebuilding. The radar may be toast or a good soak in electronic cleaner.
See you out there!

We will close on our new boat this week. She will be renamed OUR HAPPY PLACE and will live up to that moniker. We are moving up to a Kha Shing Vista Sundeck 46 from a Carver Montego 32. It was just a bit crowded on weekends with only the 2 of us. I still believe the visit 6, feed 4 and sleep 2 rule will apply like in the land based 5th wheel.
We hang out at Galveston Yacht Basin, so stop by. The Keurig will have a hot cup waiting!
Any words of wisdom on moving to the much bigger boat and diesel over gas engines? I am pretty good with a wrench. I know the muffler has a water leak and the hand pump on the port fuel needs rebuilding. The radar may be toast or a good soak in electronic cleaner.
See you out there!
Welcome aboard and congratulations for your new lady!

L

Welcome aboard. Congrats on your new boat.

Greetings,
Welcome aboard. You mention a hand pump on the port fuel. What's that? The priming lever on the fuel lift pump? If it IS the priming lever, they will appear to be inoperative if the internal pump lever is sitting on the high spot on the camshaft lobe. Try bumping the engine over a bit and see if the pump lever works. What engine(s)?

Make sure you have all new fuel filters. That pump on the port engine may be a problem if you need to use it to bleed the fuel system after changing the fuel filters.

I picked up my first diesel boat years ago and drove it 80 miles to its first home. Didn't change the filters 'cause the broker said they were fine. By the time we reached home, starboard and generator engines had shut down so we had to get home on port engine. When we checked the fuel filers (separator and two primaries on each engine), they looked like someone had slathered tar all over them!

Why do people sell their boats? Mainly because they are not using them. Diesel boats that sit build up all kinds of stuff in their fuel!

Welcome to the forum

Welcome aboard

Welcome to Trawler Forum

Welcome aboard TF

Welcome, I am sure you will enjoy your time online with the TF bunch.

Welcome. Look for us in a couple of months around GAL, the only Krogen Manatee in TX.

Congrats on the upgrade! Looking forward to hearing about your adventures.

Welcome aboard. I have a 1983 Kha Shing 40. Built like a tank and engineered very well. You will be very comfortable aboard. In regards to the engines I would:

1. Change the fluids (oil, coolant, transmission)
2. Change the filters (oil and air)
3. Replace the impellers (unless there is a recent record)
4. Track down any leaks (Volvos have complex cooling systems that are prone to leak)
5. Check all hoses and hose clamps
6. Check raw water strainers

If you look after a diesel and it will take care of you; however, maintenance is key. Let them warm up before powering up and you should be all set. You'll never go back to gas after experiencing a reliable diesel engine!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom