Old 04-13-2017, 07:04 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Stafford, VA
Vessel Name: Proud Mary
Vessel Model: 29 ft Prairie Coastal Cruiser
New name "Proud Mary" and a new story

We are the new owners of Proud Mary formerly known as Una Mas. A 29 foot Prairie Trawler. This is my first entry and I'll try not to botch up the forum. We're in the process of getting the boat ready for the Great Loop or at least sea worthy for travel up and down the east coast as we become confident and bolder.

We have previously owned 17 to 21 ft runabouts with gas outboards. However, we have never owned a diesel boat with a single prop, rudder and a bow thruster. This should be interesting.

Proud Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 07:36 PM   #2
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Welcome to the forum! Congratulations on the new boat. The adventure begins!

Ted

"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 07:54 PM   #3
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Welcome to this forum, and to Prairie ownership. There are a few of us here. Well, there are few of us ANYwhere, but enough here that any questions you have will probably be answered fairly quickly. I can't promise they'll be answered correctly, just quickly

Anyway, the point is, don't ever be afraid to post a question here.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 08:28 PM   #4
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Welcome from Alaska- As our boats are somewhat similar, I know you will enjoy ownership. Fine craft from all that I have read. As stated, you will find joy and comfort on this site.
Al-Ketchikan
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 08:45 PM   #5
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
https://boats-from-usa.com/not-speci...airie-29-68512

That looks like a beautiful example of a Prairie 29. A lot of boat for its size. Well done.

Tell us about your plans to "make her mine". We're really good at finding new ways for you to spend your money. We're also good at worrying about things that really don't make a big difference. Then we'll argue for days about which LED is a better color tone. BTW, have you considered ER cameras? (One is NEVER enough!)

It's part of the sickness known as Trawler Trash Syndrome. You'll get used to it...

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 09:19 PM   #6
Veteran Member

City: Stafford, VA
Vessel Name: Proud Mary
Vessel Model: 29 ft Prairie Coastal Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
https://boats-from-usa.com/not-speci...airie-29-68512

That looks like a beautiful example of a Prairie 29. A lot of boat for its size. Well done.

Tell us about your plans to "make her mine". We're really good at finding new ways for you to spend your money. We're also good at worrying about things that really don't make a big difference. Then we'll argue for days about which LED is a better color tone. BTW, have you considered ER cameras? (One is NEVER enough!)

It's part of the sickness known as Trawler Trash Syndrome. You'll get used to it...

To make her mine we're replacing the original Windows, wall panels, galley, cabin sole and fuel tanks. Then we'll add a windlass and clean up the gel coat and teak trim. I think a few weeks, OK months of work is involved.
Proud Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 09:44 PM   #7
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud Mary View Post
To make her mine we're replacing the original Windows, wall panels, galley, cabin sole and fuel tanks. Then we'll add a windlass and clean up the gel coat and teak trim. I think a few weeks, OK months of work is involved.
Call it years, rather than weeks or months, but hey, it's all meant to be part of the fun. Actually it is, because it was when I ran out of major projects to do on my boat I first starting thinking of selling her. I felt at a bit of a loose end with nothing to plot and plan for. Nothing I could justify anyway, let's say.
Old 04-13-2017, 10:47 PM   #8
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
Call it years, rather than weeks or months, but hey, it's all meant to be part of the fun. Actually it is, because it was when I ran out of major projects to do on my boat I first starting thinking of selling her. I felt at a bit of a loose end with nothing to plot and plan for. Nothing I could justify anyway, let's say.
A honest statement!! Recently came to the conclusion that at my age, "Two Footids" had and has come to an end. The boat is complete with no additional needs, and so I--------- Damn! hey, even though I don't travel at night, a new led light quad for night running would fit under the radar platform, Okay, THEN the boat will be complete.

Al-Ketchikan
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 07:25 AM   #9

City: LAFAYETTE,LA
Vessel Name: Relenti
Vessel Model: Atlantic 30, 1983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
My thoughts exactly-I bought my '83 Atlantic 30 (Newer version of the Prairie 29) to see if I would like the trawler lifestyle and also have something to tinker with. I love piddling with boats. Running out of projects. ANYWAY!!
Welcome aboard and good luck with the adventure.
ddalme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 05:40 PM   #10
Guru

City: Cape Cod
Vessel Name: Slip Aweigh
Vessel Model: Prairie 29
Welcome!!!! Great little boat. Enjoy the time.

Yeah. I'm debating changing fuel tanks as well. There's never a lack of projects. Some necessary. Some wish list. Post pics. (Of the boat!)
cappy208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 07:31 PM   #11
FOG
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: DreamQuest
Vessel Model: Prairie 36
Welcome aboard. A solid boat with good bones for improvement projects.
We hope our Prairie 36 is ready for out "Loop" adventure next spring.

FOG is offline   Reply With Quote