New member, starting research

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DeputyKev

Howdy,

I've been around boats much of my life and considering some adventures next year. I'm really big on researching before diving into rather expensive activities :)

Nearing "retirement" and my bride and I have been exploring the Grand Loop and may try to do a section with a rental/lease before embarking on a 6,000 mile cruise with our own craft.

I'll be looking into boats, best practices, and learning from the community here. I will do my best not to ask questions already answered...

Safe travels to all.

Howdy,

I've been around boats much of my life and considering some adventures next year. I'm really big on researching before diving into rather expensive activities :)

Nearing "retirement" and my bride and I have been exploring the Grand Loop and may try to do a section with a rental/lease before embarking on a 6,000 mile cruise with our own craft.

I'll be looking into boats, best practices, and learning from the community here. I will do my best not to ask questions already answered...

Safe travels to all.

I'm considering the same but with the cost of such a lease (if you can find one) is astronomical. I'm thinking more along the lines of a well maintained Europa style trawler and been searching far and wide for the right one.

My advice in your search. Write down the must haves. Do you need pressure water? Do you need a shower or can you use shore side facilities? Do you need a king size bed?

After you have your list of must needs, look for the smallest boat that has these needs.

Don’t ask one engine or two. Make up your own mind about expenses vs redundancy, there is no correct answer. Don’t ask about fast or slow, that is a personal choice only you can answer.

Expenses, be prepared to buy one engine and one transmission and then hope it doesn’t happen.

My advice in your search. Write down the must haves. Do you need pressure water? Do you need a shower or can you use shore side facilities? Do you need a king size bed?

After you have your list of must needs, look for the smallest boat that has these needs.

Don’t ask one engine or two. Make up your own mind about expenses vs redundancy, there is no correct answer. Don’t ask about fast or slow, that is a personal choice only you can answer.

Expenses, be prepared to buy one engine and one transmission and then hope it doesn’t happen.

Wise counsel...

We applied similar decision logic to several of our RV purchases over the years. While a single power plant increases efficiency, I have enjoyed the maneuverability of a twin screw to be advantageous. I haven't played with thrusters yet, so that could change my perspective a great deal. Much to learn...

Greetings,
Welcome aboard.

iu

Deputy.....some say the main point is not more than 4' draft and 14 in the air. Other than that just personal preferences.

Thank you and that sounds like sound advice. After focusing on the classic 36 it seems you are looking at a project boat if it's under 100k and I don't mind a little work but I am not looking for a nightmare. I have decided twin screws as maneuvering with a single screw is a pain. I would also plan on a little island hopping and would like that redundancy as well as a little better cruising speed in the advent of weather. I never plan on going out in bad weather but have learned that sometimes it can sneak up on you.

New Member, starting research

Welcome, and listen to all that has been said above. That is why I am here. :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom