Old 06-03-2017, 12:47 PM   #1

City: Swansea
Vessel Name: Alys Bach
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42 Classic
New member requiring assistance

Hi All

Let me introduce myself, my name is Paul & my wife is Carol and we keep our GB42 classic in Swansea, South Wales in the UK.

Our GB is called Alys Bach (Welsh for Little Alice) and we have owned her for 11 years. She was built in 1999 and belonged to the GB distributor for may years before we purchased her. We don't live on board full time but spend about 3 days a week living on board.

Anyway, enough about us, here's the assistance I require.

We have an LPG cooker on board which is quite tired now after 11 years of use.

We'd like to replace it but cant find a direct replacement in the UK for it. It's a Princess 3 hob cooker with an oven.

Has anyone any idea where we could get a replacement? Or, has anyone found an alternative make that fits directly into the aperture that would be left when the princess is replaced?

It's 21 and 7/8" wide (including the stainless side bars), 22" high and 19 and 3/8" deep.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Paul & Carol
AlysBach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 02:14 PM   #2
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Welcome aboard. Are you looking for a domestic (EU) replacement or are you willing to import from America? If the latter, there are numerous sources which would most probably ship to you. Do a web search for your current model.
Old 06-03-2017, 03:06 PM   #3
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
This will give you some idea of brands and dimensions available.

Marine Fixed Propane Gas Stoves / Ovens
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 03:10 PM   #4
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
This will give you some idea of brands and dimensions available.

Marine Fixed Propane Gas Stoves / Ovens
That was a very nice reply to a fellow cruiser.
Old 06-03-2017, 03:23 PM   #5

Hi

many thanks for your reply.

We think our only option is to import from the US. We have spent weeks looking in Europe without any luck.

We found one site in the US that advertised the cooker a "Seaward Princess" only to find out it was no longer available (AHHHHHH!!!!) This was on West Marine's web site. https://www.westmarine.com/buy/seawa...e-oven--118606

I'm sure there must be someone in the US that will have one in stock but we cant find one. Perhaps someone who sells GB's may have one? I'm open to any link to someone who may know where one is for sale.

Kind regards

Paul
Old 06-03-2017, 03:37 PM   #6

Smile New member requiring assistance

Hi Cpt Bill

it looks like there may be a Force 10 cooker to fit the bill (pardon the pun)

I'll have a good look at their web site and see which fits and get back to let everyone know which will work.

I may even be able to buy one in Europe somewhere, hopefully France that will give me the excuse to cruise there

will keep you posted

Cheers

Paul & Carol
Old 06-03-2017, 03:47 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Welcome to the forum. Keep us posted as to what you find.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 04:02 PM   #8

Hi All

what a friendly bunch you are.

I wish we had a forum like this in the UK for trawler people.

There are two GB's in Swansea marina out of about 300 boats and I only know of one other GB trawler yacht in the Bristol channel although there are a couple of swift trawlers.

I suppose there aren't enough of us here in Wales to fill a fly bridge. Perhaps we should set up a Welsh are of the trawler forum

Thanks for all your help

Safe cruising, will be back soon with the results

cheers

Paul
Old 06-15-2017, 04:33 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlysBach View Post

Our GB is called Alys Bach (Welsh for Little Alice) and we have owned her for 11 years. She was built in 1999 and belonged to the GB distributor for may years before we purchased her.

Prior to your buying, was she the GB 42 called "Un Named" & kept in Southampton by the Grand Banks UK dealer ?
User915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 04:49 PM   #10
Guru

City: Vallejo, California
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic
Paul,

We have an acquaintance in Holyhead, Wales. His name is Tom Overs and owns a GB-32.... I'm throwing it out here because it is truly a small world at times.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Giggitoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 05:16 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggitoni View Post
Paul,

We have an acquaintance in Holyhead, Wales. His name is Tom Overs and owns a GB-32.... I'm throwing it out here because it is truly a small world at times.
Ray, Tom Overs is famous for having cruising to Scotland through the Caledonian Canal & the Loch Ness aboard his GB 32 "Little Ship".
Old 06-15-2017, 05:27 PM   #12
Guru

City: Vallejo, California
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by omc View Post
Ray, Tom Overs is famous for having cruising to Scotland through the Caledonian Canal & the Loch Ness aboard his GB 32 "Little Ship".
Tom also knows "Little Ship" inside and out. We've heard that he rebuilt her starting with a keel and a bolt!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Giggitoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 11:30 PM   #13
Guru

City: Bayview
Vessel Name: Puffin
Vessel Model: Willard Vega 30
Dickinson also make a very nice stainless 3 burner combo.

http://www.suremarineservice.com/00-...BCBELe_x-g_wcB
Old 06-15-2017, 11:47 PM   #14
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Custom Aluminum 52
I just ordered a Dickinson 3-burner! Yesterday. Problem is, I can't tell when I'll get it, let alone give you a report. They are not the prettiest stoves but they are solid, well-built and appear to have the best BTUs of the lot. They are also made here locally in Canada so you will benefit hugely from the crappy Canadian dollar, but shipping might hurt. The closest store to you that I am aware of is Binnacle in Nova Scotia. That might be your best bet to have it shipped from there, or Google Steveston Marine in Vancouver, they sell them. I don't know if it will go to you direct from the factory, you will have to check.

Tom Overs is the discoverer of the Bilge Ferret! All that boating stuff is a red herring. If you know Tom, say hello to him for me, I lost contact when I got the boot from the Grand Banks site.

By my reckoning, a Dickinson stove will cost you pounds 990 including tax, then plus shipping.

I forgot to mention, the faceplate names and numbers are not perforated by the laser any more, just etched. They also sell it with the front piece as one piece now instead of two. It comes off with two acorn nuts for cleaning. If you get a stove with the two-piece, pierced front they will change it for you if you wish.

Good luck, welcome and keep us posted?
Old 06-16-2017, 12:10 AM   #15
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Custom Aluminum 52
The new Plate:
Attached Thumbnails
Med Control Panel.jpg  
Old 06-16-2017, 02:33 AM   #16

Hi All

I'm amazed at all the replies.

Let me start, yes our boat was known as Un Named in Southampton and was owned by the Grand Banks dealers there.

I know Tom Overs and have met him a couple of times, he's a smashing guy. I haven't spoken with him for ages, but now you have reminded me, I'll be giving him a call on Skype.

Someone sent me a private message, I don't know how it happened but I cant seem to find it?

my email is paulalexanderbreen@gmail.com if you would like to send it again.

Quick update on the cooker. I had all the details emailed to me of one that may fit, I'll be checking it out this weekend to see how it works out.

Kind regards and thanks for all the replies.

Cheers

Paul & Carol
Old 06-16-2017, 07:06 AM   #17

Quote:

Someone sent me a private message, I don't know how it happened but I cant seem to find it?

my email is paulalexanderbreen@gmail.com if you would like to send it again.
It was I who sent you a Private Message.

Your question about how to replace LPG cooker :

My Grand Banks 42' Motor Yacht came with a 3-burner electric range with oven. At my request, the local GB Service in South of France replaced it with a Plastimo Three-Burner Propane Range Oven mounted which is fitting and working perfectly, quite frankly they done a very clean and good job. Indeed I didn't like much to run the Onan generator while anchoring, the current Lutin is my 4th Grand Banks, I always had Three-Burner Propane Range Oven aboard my 3 previous GB, I am comfortable with that.

The outside gas storage (under port side fly-bridge seats), the galley, and the engine room have simultaneous dual mode detector (alarm buzzers & flash light). There are 2 safety gas pressure regulation systems ideally placed, one inside the gas bottle storage, also one close to the oven, to ensuring for safety and efficiency, and to match my requirements of security.

Also I have an electric induction hot plate which we use when berthed in a marina even if we don't cook much, we mostly go to restaurant, there are some good places to eat over here (induction instead of standard electric plate, for safety purpose in my opinion).

I just sent you photos by email.

Feel free to contact me if you need more information or photos, I am not in France right now but my on-site crew can take more photos for you next week.

PS. Good to see a new member from the European continent.
Old 06-16-2017, 07:14 AM   #18
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
I wish we had a forum like this in the UK for trawler people.

I think you're seeing that you DO have a forum like this in the UK for trawler people. And it's here. Just everyone isn't physically in the UK.

If your using a browser interface, upper right corner under your login name, you'll see a link to "Private Messages."

-Chris
Old 06-16-2017, 09:33 AM   #19
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
"We have an LPG cooker on board which is quite tired now after 11 years of use.

We'd like to replace it but cant find a direct replacement in the UK for it. It's a Princess 3 hob cooker with an oven."

Just my curiosity driving his.

What parts of your Princess stove is "tired" at only 11 years of use? I don't have a princess, but after 11 yrs of use I sold a sailboat with a very cheap knockoff from the RV world, and it was not yet "tired" I know of several older sailboats still using their Princess stoves after up to 30 yrs of steady use, and theirs are not yet "tired".

When I bought my present trawler, in 1994, it was 14 yrs old and had a cheap knockoff stove, Propane with 4 burners and oven. I swapped it out within a few months, for a diesel stove, but put it into the sailboat I was selling, and its installation immediately brightened up the galley, leading to an almost immediate sale.
The dimensions of the Diesel stove were significantly different from the Propane stove, so some serious mods to the cabinetry were required to allow the fit. No problems doing those mods, so I would expect that mods to your GB's woodwork would be less difficult to fit a differently configured European Propane stove. Should your attempts to get an identical stove fail, you could consider this approach.
Old 06-16-2017, 09:42 AM   #20
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. k. Well, Mr. AB is Welsh. Maybe it leeks...