New Member from Perth Western Australai

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RAD

Hello Everyone my name is Robin. I am 65 years of age and are now semi retired from my Architectural Design business. I have joined this forum as I have now decided to purchase a GB 55' Alaskan, price and availability permitting, and thought it would be most prudent to seek advice from those who know as I have not owned a large vessel previously. I have admired the 55' Alaskan greatly over the years and are now saving my pennies to be able to get one. I will want to undertake some alterations on the vessel, however, I am finding it very difficult to acquire any existing layouts, profile drawings or brochures online or indeed anywhere. GB or even their representatives in Australia don't seem to be very helpful either. Has anyone got any suggestions of where I may try? Thank you, Merry Christmas and fair weather sailing to you all. I hope to join you on the water in about 2 years, regards Robin.

Welcome aboard. For some cursory info and layouts maybe check out Power Boat Guide. Not in depth details but some place to start. Yachtworld is another place to look if there happen to be any for sale. However their website is not as easy to navigate as it used to be. Good luck.

Thank you for your response. I'll look at Power Boat Guide now. Also, I agree Yacht world isn't what it use to be is it. Regards Robin.

Welcome Aboard Robin. I suspect the GB55 Alaskan may be a rarity in Australia. No longer built it appears,a pilothouse seems a priority, you may need to widen your search, but it`s early days.
To my knowledge, we have just one Australian TF member associated with a larger GB, a 52. You`ll have seen the Aleutian for sale (POA), seems that`s as close as it gets for now. Good luck with your enquiries and search.

Yes, I think you are right. No chance of getting a 55' in Australia and an Aleutian is beyond my budget unfortunately. The problem I see is "Can you put a Wooden Hull vessel, bought overseas, on a Boat and transport it to Australia or does this way of transportation cause drying out problems with the Hull". Thank you for your comments, BruceK. Regards Robin.

wood hull and exterior teak? No thanks.
I suspect you can better boat closer to you

G'day Robin:

"Can you put a Wooden Hull vessel, bought overseas, on a Boat and transport it to Australia or does this way of transportation cause drying out problems with the Hull?"

I would imagine (based on my experience forty years ago with two dried-out, leaky, unsafe wood hulls) that drying out could be one of several problems associated with ship-transporting an old large wooden hull to Australia.

You've got guts wanting to buy an older wood hull. I'm with Old Dan; if I wanted to throw my time and money overboard, I'd buy an old wood hull boat.

But my opinion is based largely upon my age, which is the same as yours. A younger me had the time and energy to spend on maintenance and refit. It was fun! Now I prefer to spend my "boat time" cruising.

Cheers and Good Luck,
Mrs. Trombley

Last edited:
Sadly Robin, posts regarding importing a large older wooden boat are correct. The last Alaskan for sale I remember was in Qld, at about $300,000, and took years to sell. Online boating sites like www.boatsonline.com.au at boats 50ft>, will show what is available and how they are configured.
There are some large Island Gypsy boats (of Halvorsen origin),sometimes with pilothouse(PH), which are attractive, but one I saw in Sydney being repaired after sinking was built of meranti. Their interiors are stunning, a spiral staircase connects the decks. Later ones may be fibreglass.

Greetings,
Welcome aboard, mate. I agree with the previous posts. Don't do it. I understand there IS a domestic (AUS) market for used timber vessels. Given the variety of numerous potential problems with importing, you might be better to spend your pennies on customizing a more readily available boat.

Plenty of good timber boats getting around in Oz, no need to bring one in.
Probably more robust build as well.
But have you got any good timber guys in Perth?
That's a question you should get an answer to first.

Oh and welcome. (-;

Hello Everyone. Thank you for your valuable comments. I have a lot to consider. It just may be that the GB 55' will have to be replaced with something else that is available more readily in AUS. Thanks again Regards Robin.

There’s an old 49’ Alaskan for sale in Alaska, might have a similar layout if a bit smaller:

https://www.alaskaboatbrokers.com/boat-details/?g2185-boatid=2890

If you want a pilothouse boat with a similar layout in fiberglass you might look at a Defever. The Defever 49 was essentially a GB Alaskan in fiberglass (Art Defever designed the GB Alaskan) and there are some larger versions out there.

There’s an old 49’ Alaskan for sale in Alaska, might have a similar layout if a bit smaller:

https://www.alaskaboatbrokers.com/boat-details/?g2185-boatid=2890

If you want a pilothouse boat with a similar layout in fiberglass you might look at a Defever. The Defever 49 was essentially a GB Alaskan in fiberglass (Art Defever designed the GB Alaskan) and there are some larger versions out there.
Ah....the Perth in question is in Australia. Were you aware of that..?

Yes I was aware of that. OP was inquiring about the layout of the boat and that listing has a lot of photos and I thought it might be helpful.

Yes I was aware of that. OP was inquiring about the layout of the boat and that listing has a lot of photos and I thought it might be helpful.

OK. ☝️ Good thought that. :)

To be fair, I`m not entirely sure Perth, or "Western Australia" generally, is still "in Australia".:) We still can`t go there, and if the OP came to the east, I`m unsure he could return.

Last edited:
Thanks Guys. I'll definitely have a look at the Defevers and the Alaskan site has plenty of photos to for me to browse over. Thank you both. I was unaware that Defever designed the Alaskans. I had always assumed Tony Fleming had designed them before he left and started Fleming Yachts. BK I think you have a devious sense of humor which I am just starting to appreciate. I'm beginning to think our Premier in WA is a secret secessionist. Thanks again, Regards Robin.

In case you’re interested, here is a nice summary of a lot of Defever designs:

https://www.defevercruisers.com/defever_designs.asp

Thanks BM75. I am really interested in the Defevers. I had a quick look this afternoon and I think you have solved my problem. Great vessels and some at a very affordable price. Regards Robin.

Robin, remember the cost and time to maintain the exterior teak and decks

Given the current insurance climate can you insure your choice once it arrives in Australia?

This is something RAD needs to consider, Aus companies, although underwritten by the big internationals, are toughening up on their risks, requiring a resume of past history, and I’m sure issues like construction will come into evaluating premiums.
A consultation with a marine insurance broker will clarify the situation.

Thanks SB. GoneDiving comments have been understood and thank you for reiterating them. I have already asked my insurance broker to give me all the info they can give to me. Just as an update for those who are helping me through this great journey of buying my first big boat. From your valuable advice to me and after checking all the details, there is no way I am going to import a wooden vessel into Australia. That means no 55 ft GB Alaskan. I like the DeFever 570 LR. Not sure about the displacement hull and a cruising speed of 8.5 knts though. I must also say the price of the Australian models for sale would stretch my budget though. Overseas though may be OK. So I am still looking. Thank you everyone for your very kind advice. It is helping me greatly. Regards Robin.

Not sure about the displacement hull and a cruising speed of 8.5 knts though. I must also say the price of the Australian models for sale would stretch my budget though. Overseas though may be OK.

What's your question about cruising speed? Hull speed for that size is ~10kn so 8.5 sounds pretty close. Is that too slow for you? Getting 50t up on plane will need serious hp and fuel.

If you are looking for a lower price point and are prepared to forgo the name brands then there are many very nice converted commercial or research vessels available at 500 to 1000k. These often have serious off shore capability. Obviously check closely on the conversion workmanship and maintenance.

Hi Robin, from what I have heard, boating in WA is mainly based around the short Indian Ocean cruise to Rottnest Island, the more serious cruise to the Abrolhos Islands and beyond or a short Swan river sheltered waterways trip, so the Caribbean/Bertram or Riviera planing hulls seem the popular choice.
I can understand your thinking towards semi-D speeds like your classic West Coast crayfish/lobster boats for offshore stability, and also your attraction toward the pilot house marques you have previously mentioned, and as you have already discovered the late model De Fevers are bringing big dollars, like any late model boat, and early ones are full displacement, so stabilisation would be a consideration.
Good luck with your search, please update the thread as things develop, the main thing I learned during my search and acquisition is the compromising involved, but it was worth it in the end.

Robin,
Welcome to TF.
Six years ago I was in your position - commencing the search for a suitable trawler style vessel, under 50 feet. It took 9 months and I luckily found probably the best GB 42 Classic (LOA=49 feet), in Australia. She is now penned at Fremantle Sailing Club.
I live in Perth, WA and I would be happy to chat with you by phone, email or catch up for a coffee/initial chat.
My mobile number is 0418923103 and my email is denis@denisglennon.com.
Regards,
Denis.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom