Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Robin, remember the cost and time to maintain the exterior teak and decks
Old 12-03-2021, 02:22 PM   #22

City: Tasmania
Vessel Model: Sea Ranger 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneDiving View Post
Given the current insurance climate can you insure your choice once it arrives in Australia?
This is something RAD needs to consider, Aus companies, although underwritten by the big internationals, are toughening up on their risks, requiring a resume of past history, and Iím sure issues like construction will come into evaluating premiums.
A consultation with a marine insurance broker will clarify the situation.
Southern Boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 12:11 PM   #23
RAD

City: Perth Western Australia
Thanks SB. GoneDiving comments have been understood and thank you for reiterating them. I have already asked my insurance broker to give me all the info they can give to me. Just as an update for those who are helping me through this great journey of buying my first big boat. From your valuable advice to me and after checking all the details, there is no way I am going to import a wooden vessel into Australia. That means no 55 ft GB Alaskan. I like the DeFever 570 LR. Not sure about the displacement hull and a cruising speed of 8.5 knts though. I must also say the price of the Australian models for sale would stretch my budget though. Overseas though may be OK. So I am still looking. Thank you everyone for your very kind advice. It is helping me greatly. Regards Robin.
RAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 12:45 PM   #24

City: Cairns
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAD View Post
Not sure about the displacement hull and a cruising speed of 8.5 knts though. I must also say the price of the Australian models for sale would stretch my budget though. Overseas though may be OK.
What's your question about cruising speed? Hull speed for that size is ~10kn so 8.5 sounds pretty close. Is that too slow for you? Getting 50t up on plane will need serious hp and fuel.

If you are looking for a lower price point and are prepared to forgo the name brands then there are many very nice converted commercial or research vessels available at 500 to 1000k. These often have serious off shore capability. Obviously check closely on the conversion workmanship and maintenance.
GoneDiving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 02:14 PM   #25

City: Tasmania
Vessel Model: Sea Ranger 46
Hi Robin, from what I have heard, boating in WA is mainly based around the short Indian Ocean cruise to Rottnest Island, the more serious cruise to the Abrolhos Islands and beyond or a short Swan river sheltered waterways trip, so the Caribbean/Bertram or Riviera planing hulls seem the popular choice.
I can understand your thinking towards semi-D speeds like your classic West Coast crayfish/lobster boats for offshore stability, and also your attraction toward the pilot house marques you have previously mentioned, and as you have already discovered the late model De Fevers are bringing big dollars, like any late model boat, and early ones are full displacement, so stabilisation would be a consideration.
Good luck with your search, please update the thread as things develop, the main thing I learned during my search and acquisition is the compromising involved, but it was worth it in the end.
Southern Boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 07:19 PM   #26

City: Perth, Australia
Vessel Name: Grand Spirit
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42 Classic
Robin,
Welcome to TF.
Six years ago I was in your position - commencing the search for a suitable trawler style vessel, under 50 feet. It took 9 months and I luckily found probably the best GB 42 Classic (LOA=49 feet), in Australia. She is now penned at Fremantle Sailing Club.
I live in Perth, WA and I would be happy to chat with you by phone, email or catch up for a coffee/initial chat.
My mobile number is 0418923103 and my email is denis@denisglennon.com.
Regards,
Denis.
Denis Glennon is offline   Reply With Quote