New member with old boat and first post

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Poppy21

Vessel Name
Mister Butch
Vessel Make
1940 Homemade Workboat / Pleasur
I just got finished restoring an old 32' Cypress boat from South Louisiana. I have owned boats since I was young but this is the first time I have owned a wooden boat. It was built in 1940 and used in the south for transporting goods along the coast. It was modified to be used as a pleasure boat used in the south to travel the bayou. I have the privilege to own the boat and finally have it like I want it. It has been a learning experience since last year and looking forward to getting good information and advise on how to have maintain and have fun with it. So I may say some stupid stuff but bare with me as I learn.

IMG_0203.JPGIMG_0206.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome and of course we need pictures. It sounds like the boat may have been built with old growth too. Your area has several great and interesting wooden boat shows too. If you are not familiar with this one, its a small one but has some neat traditional putt-putt boats as a rule too. And the food and conversation is truly local fare.

The Seventh Annual Bayou Teche Wooden Boat Show, April 21-23, 2017 »

Welcome to the Trawler Forum Poppy!

Welcome and of course we need pictures. It sounds like the boat may have been built with old growth too. Your area has several great and interesting wooden boat shows too. If you are not familiar with this one, its a small one but has some neat traditional putt-putt boats as a rule too. And the food and conversation is truly local fare.

The Seventh Annual Bayou Teche Wooden Boat Show, April 21-23, 2017 »

I will attach pictures soon as I figure it out and get in from offshore. Slow systems out here. I'm from Covington and keep my boat in Madisonville, La. I'm sure it's old growth. It was built in the Morgan City area. IMG_0206.JPG

Does it have an old flathead engine?

Welcome to TF. Say stupid stuff, do ya? You will fit right in with the likes of me. The guys on here who have knowledge are pretty easy to get to share it with those who lack that same knowledge.

Anyone who maintains a wood boat is worthy of extra praise.

Beautiful classic lines on your restored boat. Please, tell us more about the restoration (and engine)!:popcorn:

Welcome to TF . That's a cool looking boat .

Finally another brother with a wooden boat. First secret to longevity for her is to keep her in water. When annual haul comes around no more than 10 days on the hard. Plan work accordingly. Welcome aboard.

Does it have an old flathead engine?

It had a Grey Marine flathead 6 cylinder at one time then it was changed out to a Ford Lehman 120 diesel. It purrs like a kitten and gets about 8 knots. The four blade prop keeps it right st 1800 rpm.

Welcome to TF. Say stupid stuff, do ya? You will fit right in with the likes of me. The guys on here who have knowledge are pretty easy to get to share it with those who lack that same knowledge.

Thanks.

Beautiful classic lines on your restored boat. Please, tell us more about the restoration (and engine)!:popcorn:

The boat was donated to me after the gentleman that owned it passed. His widow knew how much I loved the boat and decided it would be best kept if I had it. I was flabbergasted. They also did a bottom job and painted the hull before giving it to me. I did all of the top sides work. There was very little wood wood rot so that was easy. I striped all of the cabin and back decks out and painted and re-installed. The stern needed some reinforcements. That was probably the hardest part. I left all of the big boat bits on the vessel to keep some of its original features. I have not had to do a single thing to the engine.

Last edited:

The engine is perfect. No problems at all. I did a lot of sanding, scraping, and painting. Rearranged the cabin a little. Scratched my head until I figured out the wiring and bilge systems. Great boat!!

Finally another brother with a wooden boat. First secret to longevity for her is to keep her in water. When annual haul comes around no more than 10 days on the hard. Plan work accordingly. Welcome aboard.

Ok, before I took control of the boat a bottom job was done. I work offshore and leave for 14 days and home for 14 days. While I was gone the bottom job was completed. It had been out the water for 5 weeks. They left it in the slings barely in the water for a week before they put it in a slip. When I got home it was bilging every hour. I was scared to death. The boat yard owner that did the work said not to worry that it would swell and seal. It took about 2 months and a lot of sleepless nights before that happened. Now it seems to be pretty much sealed.IMG_1950.JPGIMG_0206.JPG

Last edited:
I have two Lehman 120's on JL & 1800 Rpms is Optimal for cruising. Those babies purr. Keeping her in and planning work on 10 day hauls keep the screws from torquing! Seeing light through the planks is heart renching.

Welcome , that's a fine looking boat! We have visited Madisonville in our boat a couple of times and enjoyed it, we hope to get over your way this fall. If it works out we'll contact you, where do you keep her?

Last edited:
Welcome , that's a fine looking boat! We have visited Madisonville in our boat a couple of times and enjoyed it, we hope to get over your way this fall. If it works out well contact you, where do you keep her?

Thanks, I keep it in Madisonville and plan to put it in the wooden boat festival this fall. Hope to see you there.

Welcome from a fellow woody! She is a good looking girl. What's next?

Bob

They left it in the slings barely in the water for a week before they put it in a slip. When I got home it was bilging every hour. I was scared to death. The boat yard owner that did the work said not to worry that it would swell and seal. It took about 2 months and a lot of sleepless nights before that happened. Now it seems to be pretty much sealed.

The boat yard owner is pretty darn knowledgable, leaving it in the slings in the water for a week to allow the wood to re-absorb and swell back up.
:thumb:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom