New member from the Northeast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BriBri

Vessel Name
Not For Sail
Vessel Make
Chris Craft Catalina 281
Hi folks,

I just joined the forum and wanted to briefly introduce myself. My name is Brian and I am from the Northeast (New England) coast. I have for many years been interested in 'extended-range' cruising, and particularly the mechanical/electrical/plumbing systems on larger vessels, and have allowed the 'bug bite' to fester to the point where I have put aside my cruise ship exploits and this past spring purchased my own 'cabin cruiser' - a 30ft Chris Craft Catalina. Having subscribed to Passagemaker and other similar magazines, and cleaned up my drool off of the Nordhavn and Grand Banks ads, have also hammered the proverbial 'nail in the coffin' to solidify my interest in the 'trawler lifestyle'.

My current vessel floats, the motors run (twin gas V8s), and the systems are functional. However, I purchased this particular vessel as the mechanicals, electricals, and plumbing need a bit of 're-organization' and general 'cleaning up', and I believe I got a lot of boat for what I paid (compared to NADA and other price comps). So, while perhaps not a true 'project boat', I have so far enjoyed working on the various systems in an effort to 'get it right' and learn as much as I can about how the various marine systems are designed and function (I get a little geeky about these things).

This being my initial foray into powerboating (aside from a few years with a 15' outboard runabout), I am planning on using my current vessel as a learning platform, both of the systems, and of seamanship in general. I don't want to be 'that guy' that experienced boaters try to avoid in the marine or in open water. So my philosophy is to take it slow, learn the correct way to do things, and do it that way. All of this with the intention of satisfying my 10-year/10-foot illness, when I trade up to my Nordhaven 40 :) (it's wishful thinking, I know).

So, in summary (my apologies, as I know I said this introduction would be brief), I look forward to 'lurking' around the various threads and contributing to the best of my ability (I am certainly not an expert on anything - I have to be honest with myself). I am sure I will learn much from reading the threads.

Thanks for having me.

-Brian

Welcome! from the Gulf Coast

Welcome from the Great Lakes! Bought my last boat in your neighbourhood. Have fun, that's what it's all about.

Welcome from Scotland Bob , great old boats Chris craft ,
All the best ! Andy

Brian

Welcome I am very new to the forum and although I have a life (well at least 50 years of it) of boating and sailing experience virtually. It is amazing the knowledge in this forum I have been reading the old and new posts almost daily, as I do my list of desires changes for my next boat

again welcome

Welcome from Scotland Bob , great old boats Chris craft ,
All the best ! Andy

Thanks Andy. I've spent quite a bit of time in Edinburgh (and the Highlands) on business during the last decade. My current job position no longer requires me to travel. But I do miss Scotland. It's truly God's country.

Slàinte mhath!

Back
Top Bottom