Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-08-2020, 11:27 AM   #1
Newbie
 
City: Blounts Creek
Vessel Name: S/V Lucky Linda Lee
Vessel Model: Pearson 36-2
Join Date: Dec 2020
Posts: 2
New Member in New Bern

Howdy,
I am new to this forum and new to boating. Although my boat uses sails, it has a motor as well - so I figure I can fit in with folks on this forum.
My wife and I are retired, with me spending time on the water and she spending time on her farm. (Loves animals)
I have had my boat for 4 years and have spent some good time with my grandkid on board. We both love the water and sailing.
Greg AKA Suddy
__________________
Advertisement

Suddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 11:44 AM   #2
Guru
 
timb's Avatar
 
City: Oriental N.C.
Vessel Name: true heading
Vessel Model: marine trader 38 dc
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 554
welcome .I see new Bern in the title and Blount's creek in the city. is your boat in the Neuse or Pamlico ? I probably talk to more people around oriental with sail boats just because trawlers are outnumbered in Oriental .I'm stuck on the hard at duck creek at the moment .
__________________

timb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 11:46 AM   #3
Guru
 
rgano's Avatar
 
City: Southport north of Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,140
Yo, Suddy, welcome aboard. There are plenty of former sailors here to help out with snailbote-related questions (I am not one of them ). Systems you have on your vessel are undoubtedly same or similar to trawlers, just as my non-trawler 30 Pilot II has similar systems. You will find this place an excellent source of help, sarcasm, irony, humor, consolation, and general life advice - whatever you need that can be provided over the wire, we got it.
__________________
Rich Gano
FROLIC (2005 MainShip 30 Pilot II)
Panama City area
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 12:01 PM   #4
Guru
 
City: Northwest Nevada, currently
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 628
Welcome. Years ago I worked at Cape Lookout NS. Love your little city, it's on my list of top five places to live if my wife ever let me move east of the Mississippi again (not likely)
Alaskaflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 12:07 PM   #5
Enigma
 
RT Firefly's Avatar
 
City: Slicker?
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 15,466
Greetings,
Welcome aboard y'all.
__________________
RTF
RT Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 12:15 PM   #6
TF Site Team
 
Comodave's Avatar
 
City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 11,473
Welcome aboard.
__________________
Boat Nut:
If you are one there is no explanation necessary.
If you aren’t one, there is no explanation possible.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 07:19 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
kokopelliTim's Avatar
 
City: New Bern, NC
Vessel Name: Ikarus
Vessel Model: Prairie 29
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 216
Welcome aboard!
I keep my boat at Bridgeton Harbor! New Bern and surrounding waters are great to sail, cruise and enjoy.

I was a sailor (as many here were) and moved to trawlers because I enjoy the niceties

Might want to also join cruisersforum.com for sailing specific issues.

And stay here as boating is boating in so many ways and we all learn from each other. You can teach us some.

Tim
kokopelliTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 10:05 AM   #8
Guru
 
timb's Avatar
 
City: Oriental N.C.
Vessel Name: true heading
Vessel Model: marine trader 38 dc
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokopelliTim View Post
Welcome aboard!
I keep my boat at Bridgeton Harbor! New Bern and surrounding waters are great to sail, cruise and enjoy.



Tim
they need to expand your marina I tried to get a slip there and there was no room for me. I never thought it would be hard to get a slip in New Bern.

Tim
timb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 11:02 AM   #9
Valued Technical Contributor
 
DavidM's Avatar
 
City: Litchfield, Ct
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 5,828
If you are new to New Bern, check out the Neuse Sailing Association and the Oriental Dinghy Club, both racing/cruising clubs based in Oriental. Their events are undoubtably curtailed now due to CV but should get going later next year.

David
DavidM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 01:09 PM   #10
TF Site Team
 
City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 2,992
Welcome Aboard!!!

If you haven't yet, also check out our sister Forum:

https://www.cruisersforum.com/

That site is more specific to sailing, though there is a powerboat sub-forum over there.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 10:33 PM   #11
FWT
Scraping Paint
 
City: Centreville
Join Date: Dec 2020
Posts: 190
I spent a weekend in New Bern several years ago, traveling by land.

We flat fell in love with it. Great place.

And I could lunch at Moores BBQ every day, given the chance.
FWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 08:11 AM   #12
Guru
 
timb's Avatar
 
City: Oriental N.C.
Vessel Name: true heading
Vessel Model: marine trader 38 dc
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by FWT View Post
I spent a weekend in New Bern several years ago, traveling by land.

We flat fell in love with it. Great place.

And I could lunch at Moores BBQ every day, given the chance.
I'll try Moore's .MJ's raw bar has broken my wallet before .
timb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 08:21 AM   #13
Guru
 
caltexflanc's Avatar
 
City: North Carolina for now
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 6,562
We live on the south side of the Trent River, across from the west end of Trent Woods. Keep our little Whaler docked in back; actually faster to get into town than driving. When we had our old Hatteras, we docked it for awhile at the Galley Store, but moved to Morehead City as there is so much more close by to do with a boat there.
__________________
George

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 08:36 AM   #14
Guru
 
timb's Avatar
 
City: Oriental N.C.
Vessel Name: true heading
Vessel Model: marine trader 38 dc
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
We live on the south side of the Trent River, across from the west end of Trent Woods. Keep our little Whaler docked in back; actually faster to get into town than driving. When we had our old Hatteras, we docked it for awhile at the Galley Store, but moved to Morehead City as there is so much more close by to do with a boat there.
I'll be back in my slip oriental by spring . I may spring for a month of two in Morehead or Beaufort but I can't afford it year round even if I rent my slip out. my boat is slow it would take me all day to get to the inlet from here.
timb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 07:27 PM   #15
Member
 
City: Oriental
Join Date: Dec 2020
Posts: 16
Nice to see a large group of baiting fans in the area. The admiral and I are relocating to Oriental in June of 2021 once we get our last two through graduation.

No trawler for now, but in the plans.
Macrophylla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 06:17 PM   #16
Member
 
City: Washington, NC
Vessel Model: 1973 Marine Trader 34 Sedan
Join Date: Dec 2020
Posts: 16
Welcome.. I just joined yesterday and am in Washington on the Pamlico.
kingthrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 06:44 PM   #17
Guru
 
caltexflanc's Avatar
 
City: North Carolina for now
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 6,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by timb View Post
I'll be back in my slip oriental by spring . I may spring for a month of two in Morehead or Beaufort but I can't afford it year round even if I rent my slip out. my boat is slow it would take me all day to get to the inlet from here.
That's the big reason we moved and never for a minute considered Oriental as an alternative. As far as really cool places to go in a day from Oriental, in a slow boat, there's Ocracoke and South River, and that's about it. I take it you own a slip or have one at your house?

Both Morehead City Yacht Basin (our home port once we stopped cruising full time) and Beaufort City Docks have big discounts on winter rates; we caught a lot of nice days during the winter when we could go over to Cape Lookout or Shackleford and have it virtually to ourselves; wonderful. Maybe think of that kind of like you were cruising for a month or two.
__________________
George

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 06:45 PM   #18
Member
 
City: Bolling AFB
Vessel Name: None Yet
Vessel Model: None Yet
Join Date: Dec 2020
Posts: 6
Welcome aboard!
PracticalNavigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 07:30 PM   #19
Guru
 
timb's Avatar
 
City: Oriental N.C.
Vessel Name: true heading
Vessel Model: marine trader 38 dc
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
That's the big reason we moved and never for a minute considered Oriental as an alternative. As far as really cool places to go in a day from Oriental, in a slow boat, there's Ocracoke and South River, and that's about it. I take it you own a slip or have one at your house?

Both Morehead City Yacht Basin (our home port once we stopped cruising full time) and Beaufort City Docks have big discounts on winter rates; we caught a lot of nice days during the winter when we could go over to Cape Lookout or Shackleford and have it virtually to ourselves; wonderful. Maybe think of that kind of like you were cruising for a month or two.
I don’t know why you never thought about oriental . I takes us about 3 hours to get to morehead and my boat is slow. New bern makes it around 6 to morehead.6 would eat up too much of the day.(and make planning getting to Beaufort docks at slack tide more difficult) I only own a slip .I live 3 hours away mid nc 48 years old so I have some working left in my future
timb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 11:50 AM   #20
Newbie
 
City: Blounts Creek
Vessel Name: S/V Lucky Linda Lee
Vessel Model: Pearson 36-2
Join Date: Dec 2020
Posts: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by timb View Post
welcome .I see new Bern in the title and Blount's creek in the city. is your boat in the Neuse or Pamlico ? I probably talk to more people around oriental with sail boats just because trawlers are outnumbered in Oriental .I'm stuck on the hard at duck creek at the moment .

Sorry for the late response. The Lucky Linda Lee is in Northwest Creek Marina in New Bern on the Neuse River. Trawlers are outnumbered here as well. My boat is a sailboat, by the way.
Suddy
__________________

Suddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Trawler Port Captains
Port Captains are TF volunteers who can serve as local guides or assist with local arrangements and information. Search below to locate Port Captains near your destination. To learn more about this program read here: TF Port Captain Program





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012
×