Old 11-14-2021, 08:28 AM   #1

City: Brandon
New Member from Mississippi

Hello All,

I'm a boating newbie, especially powerboats. Owned a 26' MacGregor in the 90s on an inland lake, the Ross Barnett Reservoir. Looking to learn everything I need to know for coastal cruising and one day, possibly passage-making. Semi-retiring at the end of this year.

Thanks to all for this platform and for your patience with me.

JimmyB...
JimmyB62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 08:52 AM   #2
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Welcome aboard y'all. US Power Squadron boating courses are a good way to start. Rules of the road, and all that. ONE advantage of taking a "classroom" course (if they're being offered in these unsettled times) is you connect with like minded individuals (boaters). Nothing wrong with building a boating network.

We got lotsa patients...

Old 11-14-2021, 09:13 AM   #3
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
Totally agree with RT.

So, a few questions....
Do you plan to move to the coast for your coastal cruising? Or live on a boat?

And/or, are you going to get a boat for the lake for awhile? And can I assume the lake does not connect to the Loop route anywhere?

You have lots of options, but agree some training and some boating experience on any size boat would be valuable, preferably similar to what you want to end up with.

And there's an argument to get a boat that you plan on replacing in a few years.... a "learning" boat. And part of the learning is to learn what you really want and what fits your wants, needs and pocketbook.

My learning boat was a 27 ft Sundancer. Could do most everything with it on a small scale.... cruise, island hop, overnights, marinas, etc., etc. One of the things I learned is that IOs suck, even though I stupidly bought a few more before going to "diesel church".
Old 11-14-2021, 12:54 PM   #4

Training and Questions

Thank you for the suggestion, RT Firefly, about training. I appreciate that very much. I've been looking and trying to sort out just what would be best for me, training wise. So, I'm taking your suggestions to heart. I most likely will look for an in-person class.

And SeeVee, here are the answers to your questions. I appreciate your thoughts.

Q. Do you plan to move to the coast for your coastal cruising? Or live on a boat?
A. More like 'live on the boat' with a trip home (3 hours) periodically. Periodicity, yet to be determined.

Q. Are you going to get a boat for the lake for awhile?
A. No, just the ICW/Loop.

Q. And can I assume the lake does not connect to the Loop route anywhere?
A. Correct. Closest point for me would be Vicksburg, ~50 minutes away.

JimmyB...
Old 11-14-2021, 01:16 PM   #5
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Having lived along the northern Gulf coast with a large boat to care for since 1990 and having recently survived a direct hit by category five hurricane, let me be the first to advise you to have a hurricane plan in mind before you close on a boat you can't put on a trailer in a hurry. Storms are indeed getting worse every year. Tying up tight in any marina I am aware of on the Mississippi Sound is a non-starter for hurricane planning.

Welcome aboard!
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 04:04 PM   #6

Reply - hurricane plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgano View Post
...<snip>... have a hurricane plan in mind before you close on a boat ...<snip>... Storms are indeed getting worse every year. Tying up tight in any marina I am aware of on the Mississippi Sound is a non-starter for hurricane planning.

Welcome aboard!
Thank you, rgano. Sounds like very good advice.

May I inquire generally as to what others might do for a 'hurricane plan' for boats large enough to be non-trailerable?

Thanks again,

JimmyB...
Old 11-14-2021, 04:17 PM   #7
Guru

Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyB62 View Post
Thank you, rgano. Sounds like very good advice.

May I inquire generally as to what others might do for a 'hurricane plan' for boats large enough to be non-trailerable?

Thanks again,

JimmyB...
The best plans involve (after removing oneself from marinas) being as far away from a crowd of anchored vessels as possible, preferably up some secluded waterway with protection from the expected wind direction and firmly secured to land. My Hurricane Michael survival depended heavily on a friend with a canal lot with the boat anchored fore and aft on the axis of the narrow canal and lines ashore from both sides of the bow and stern. Even then, this happened, but it was far better than what would have eventuated with the boat left at the pier. Hurricane holes around here are like good fishing holes, closely guarded secrets.
Attached Thumbnails
Frolic with tree 3.jpg   Boatlift wreck 5.jpg  
Old 11-14-2021, 04:17 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Welcome aboard.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 05:49 PM   #9
Veteran Member

City: Moreno Valley
Welcome to the forum.
Rusty Scupper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 06:00 PM   #10

Reply - hurricane advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgano View Post
The best plans involve (after removing oneself from marinas) being as far away from a crowd of anchored vessels as possible …<snip>… Hurricane holes around here are like good fishing holes, closely guarded secrets.
rgano, those are some amazing pics. Yes, surely the damage would’ve been much worse had you not moved it.

I will have to study a hurricane plan and nearby inland rivers. Very close to Mobile bay. Perhaps something in that direction.

Surely good advice to think about it now.

Cheers,

JimmyB…
Old 11-14-2021, 06:27 PM   #11
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
Quote:
Thank you for the suggestion, RT Firefly, about training. I appreciate that very much. I've been looking and trying to sort out just what would be best for me, training wise. So, I'm taking your suggestions to heart. I most likely will look for an in-person class.

And SeeVee, here are the answers to your questions. I appreciate your thoughts.

Q. Do you plan to move to the coast for your coastal cruising? Or live on a boat?
A. More like 'live on the boat' with a trip home (3 hours) periodically. Periodicity, yet to be determined.

Q. Are you going to get a boat for the lake for awhile?
A. No, just the ICW/Loop.

Q. And can I assume the lake does not connect to the Loop route anywhere?
A. Correct. Closest point for me would be Vicksburg, ~50 minutes away.

JimmyB...

Good info.... so here's some thoughts....

Gut feeling you might want to find a spot to put your boat on the inland rivers. Still fairly close to you and lots of good choices... one good choice seems like Aqua Harbor (good reviews) close to you but there's more... worth searching out.

And gut feeling you might still consider a "beginner boat". One that's easy to buy and easy to sell, popular. Get the feeling of boating and learning what you like and don't like. Then shop for your "real" boat in a year or two.

As for what Rich says... listen to him. There's a REAL risk with hurricane, but can be mitigated with a good plan... and some luck.

I was really concerned for my friend when Micheal hit, but all of them "survived". Was glad Rich found his hurricane hole, and another friend also abandoned his slip for a friends dock in a hole. His marine was totally destroyed and no boats survived.

At my home base, I've got a canal end that has pretty good protection to tie the boat in the middle and ride it out... but haven't faced a really nasty one... YET.

Keep us posted!
Old 11-14-2021, 06:32 PM   #12
Guru

Quote:
rgano, those are some amazing pics. Yes, surely the damage would’ve been much worse had you not moved it.

I will have to study a hurricane plan and nearby inland rivers. Very close to Mobile bay. Perhaps something in that direction.

Surely good advice to think about it now.

Cheers,

JimmyB…
If you are near Mobile Bay, the best way is NORTH into the Tennessee-Tom Bigbee Waterway whose mile zero is right over the tunnel in Mobile Bay. Run up there ten or twenty miles and find a narrow spot off the river. Lots of space there.
Old 11-17-2021, 08:18 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
… <snip> … US Power Squadron boating courses are a good way to start. Rules of the road, and all that.
I’ve been looking at USPS courses and they look exactly like what I need. However, all are located remotely from my current location. And most appear to be one day a week or less frequently. I wonder if you or others might be aware of a daily, one to two week course? Say 40 to 80 hours?

Thank you,

JimmyB62
Old 11-17-2021, 09:09 AM   #14

City: madisonville la
Vessel Name: Princess M
Vessel Model: 2006 Mainship 34
During your boat search be sure to check out the north shore of lake ponchatrain. Fresh water and very safe during hurricanes. Madisonville had more or less direct hits from Ida and Katrina with minimal boat damages.
The towns of Mandeville and Covington are loaded with fine dining and shopping. Ponchatrain Yacht Club is a great social outlet. Madisonville has two marinas with floating/covered docks. They are rather expensive but safe! I had 110kt winds with Ida with no damage!
keith c is offline   Reply With Quote