New member from Maine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Penobscot

Vessel Name
Mortal Stakes
Vessel Make
1977 Grand Banks 32
Hello to all. My wife and I recently bought a 1977 Grand Banks Sedan and will keep her in our home town of Belfast, Maine on Penobscot Bay. We moved to Maine just over two years ago (me retired, she almost) with boating experience pretty much limited to capsizing a Sunfish on a small reservoir. We had fun this summer with a recently acquired 26 ft pocket cruiser until we befriended trawler owners, and experience on their boats converted us pretty quickly. We are both clinical psychologists with mechanical skills— and this is not much of an exaggeration— only slightly better than those of Kenzie, my 5 month old Golden Retriever. But I’ve got some great teachers up here and can measure my progress by an increasing ability to comprehend posts in the General Discussion section which has so far been invaluable. The marine survey found the boat to be in remarkably good shape for her age (2004 engine, new fuel tanks for eg) but we’ve got a sizable list of improvements to make over the winter and some cosmetic work in the spring. Many thanks for a great forum and look forward to much more learning and perhaps meeting some of you along the way.

—Al

Attachments

• FA733BA3-4CA9-42C1-8C36-2FC2F571A32E.jpeg
    FA733BA3-4CA9-42C1-8C36-2FC2F571A32E.jpeg
    69.5 KB · Views: 16
Al,
Welcome to the forum. Your boat looks great, and GB have a good reputation. We all had a lot to learn, no one was born with this knowledge, some just received the lessons earlier and/or from different sources. :) Enjoy your new boat, and the processes involved (learning).

Welcome aboard the Forum. I recognize that bridge in your pic/avatar. We are just across and around Cape Rosier from you eastward. I have been here and boating on Penobscot Bay since I was 8 months old 74 years ago. Are you wintering at Front Street Boat Yard? Hope to see you on the water 2021.

Last edited:
Welcome!
I’m a GB 36 owner in ME also but either along the mid-coast it south depending on time of year. PenBay is the greatest for cruising! We’ve spent the last 30 yrs plus cruising during summer vacations from the corp rat race. Oh, BTW, I’m mechanically inclined and have been doing all my own boat work since I was 10 yrs old. Feel free to reach out. Good luck!

Welcome aboard the Forum. I recognize that bridge in your pic/avatar. We are just across and around Cape Rosier from you eastward. I have been here and boating on Penobscot Bay since I was 8 months old 74 years ago. Are you wintering at Front Street Boat Yard? Hope to see you on the water 2021.

Thanks for the welcome David. I’m sure you do recognize the boat. I bought it from Jon Buck who owns the marina in Bucks Harbor, your home port. I’m wintering in Winterport where the boat’s been kept the past five years. I’m sure we’ll cross paths next year. Al

Welcome Aboard! You will learn as you go. Don't start too many projects at a time, maybe one inside project and one outside project. One for sunny days, one for rainy days. It's also nice to be able to leave a project for a few days "think time" while you work on another thing.

pete

Welcome!
I’m a GB 36 owner in ME also but either along the mid-coast it south depending on time of year. PenBay is the greatest for cruising! We’ve spent the last 30 yrs plus cruising during summer vacations from the corp rat race. Oh, BTW, I’m mechanically inclined and have been doing all my own boat work since I was 10 yrs old. Feel free to reach out. Good luck!

Many thanks for the kind offer. I’ve taken flying lessons and was a motorcyclist for many many years and I’ve always regarded mechanics largely as a black box that someone else would take care of. With a boat those days are over. Hope the learning curve is steep and don’t be surprised if you hear from me.

Al,

Welcome aboard. I have lots of time at sea in Maine, but live in MA. Keep us posted on your upgrades and don't be afraid to ask questions of the board!

Welcome aboard - I'm from Derry, just up the country a bit! (That's a Northern Ireland joke BTW) :)

What's behind the boat name?

Welcome from a GB ower also. 1969,42ft Classic. Hull#125.
I also have a list as long as your arm of things to do .
And i agree,a trawler is the way to ho....especially a Grand Banks

Back
Top Bottom