Old 12-06-2016, 05:16 PM   #1
Memorial Member

City: Lafayette,LA
Vessel Name: Evangeline
Vessel Model: 35" Flybridge Sedan Senator
New Member from Louisiana

G'day Y'all.
Between boats at the moment. Recently retired from 41 years in aviation.
I've been searching for a diesel Fly-bridge sedan in the 35 foot range for sometime now. Tricabin/sunroofs almost make it but a small or no cockpit and steps to a small swim deck don't make it for us. I (we) also don't need two heads or engines. ICW, Gulf coast and maybe the loop in 2018.

In the words of Ernest Gann "I want a boat that drinks 6, eats 4, and sleeps 2."

CWO KPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 05:51 PM   #2

City: Lafayette, LA
Vessel Name: presently boatless
Comment ca vas, Welcome aboard. Bunch of South Louisiana boats on here. Good luck and have fun in your search!

ragin cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 06:27 PM   #3
TF Site Team

City: Cameron, La
Vessel Name: Baobab
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788
Welcome to the Trawler Forum!
dimer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 06:54 PM   #4
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Welcome aboard.
Old 12-06-2016, 07:42 PM   #5
Guru

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Scot Free
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 53' Efficient
Welcome. I am currently in New Orleans. Feel free to swing by to talk about boats. Or flying for that matter.

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
McGillicuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 09:19 PM   #6
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
Welcome! I live in Thibodaux and keep my boat, Gumbo, in Houma just off the ICW.
Old 12-06-2016, 09:57 PM   #7
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl
Check out Timjets 355 Carver. It is a twin diesel if thats a deal breaker for you. Well maintained and equipped. Ready for action and adventure.
Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 10:06 PM   #8
Memorial Member

Carver

Thanks, I have been watching Timjets 355, very nice. I looked at and made an offer on a 354 last year it was accepted, but wifey said not what she wanted..... That one was gas and really did not fit our plans.
In any case I no longer feel the need for speed after a few years of Mach .9 at FL510 in a LR40
Old 12-07-2016, 04:06 AM   #9
omc

City: South
Vessel Name: LUTIN
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42' Motor Yacht
Welcome to our American cousins in Louisiana, good luck in your search.
Old 12-07-2016, 07:18 AM   #10

City: LAFAYETTE,LA
Vessel Name: Relenti
Vessel Model: Atlantic 30, 1983
Welcome-look me up at cypremort point if you get out that way.
ddalme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 12:34 PM   #11
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Welcome to Trawler Forum!

We must live on opposite ends of a parallel universe! Four years ago I retired from 39 years in aviation. I went from 8 miles per minute to 8 miles per hour and love it! Five years before retirement, I bought my retirement boat with similar wants, except I like the redundancy and maneuverability of twins. I used those 5 years to tweak my boat to my likes and purchase the items needed to upgrade her into 'my boat'.

I've often said my boat is the perfect size for me to 'drink 6, feed 4 and sleep 2'. It also fishes 4 OK or 2 in comfort and style.

For me, diesels were a 'must have' as I didn't want the risks or high burn rate and operating cost of gasoline engines. This quickly led me to the 34-37' size bracket since most boats I was viewing smaller than 34 didn't have diesels. Although my boat is called a 34, it's actually closer to 37 LOA. I really wanted wide walkarounds, a good sized fishable cockpit and the ability to walk a fishing rod around the perimeter of boat while fighting a fish without passing it around supports or rails. This steered me toward sedans and ruled out Europa models.

Once I nailed down a realistic budget, my search narrowed to a few boats which included my current 34 LRC Californian. No regrets here....it's been a good fit.

I hope you enjoy your hunt for a new boat and report back often on the process and your thoughts as you progress toward the purchase. It's a fun hunt that many of us still practice even though we're not actually looking to buy again!

Cheers!!

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 05:02 PM   #12
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWO KPM View Post
G'day Y'all.
I've been searching for a diesel Fly-bridge sedan in the 35 foot range for sometime now. Tricabin/sunroofs almost make it but a small or no cockpit and steps to a small swim deck don't make it for us. I (we) also don't need two heads or engines. ICW, Gulf coast and maybe the loop in 2018.

In the words of Ernest Gann "I want a boat that drinks 6, eats 4, and sleeps 2."
Well G'day to you too. I have just finished a remarkable book by Gann, about the early days of commercial aviation in the US, I found it in a second hand book store, a terrific story.

I think Flyright is on the money regarding the type of boat that may suite, particularly the walk around decks, by the way Flyright nice new Avatar you have there.

Oliver, good to see you posting, Lutin is one of my top five favourite boats on the forum.
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 05:43 PM   #13
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
G'day Y'all.

Wifey B: Oh, yes you do. Trust me. You do. You may not know you do, but you do. You have six drinking, 4 eating and 2 sleeping, you need two heads.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 06:41 PM   #14
Guru

City: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Old School
Vessel Model: 38' Trawler custom built by Hike Metal Products
Welcome and glad to have another LA guy here. I'm in BTR, boat is in a marina near Springfield LA, about an hour east of home. I have 1 engine, diesel, and 1 head, don't listen to the twin engine guys, twice the problems. Same w/ two heads Mrs. Wifey B, twice the problems. That being said, my girlfriend and advisor on any and all topics would love to have her own.
Gulf Comanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 02:03 AM   #15
Memorial Member

Wink

Wifey B:"Oh, yes you do. Trust me. You do. You may not know you do, but you do. You have six drinking, 4 eating and 2 sleeping, you need two heads."

Not all at the same time!
75% of the time will be just me, Miss Micki can only handle so much solitude and togetherness.

GC, #1 child (daughter) went to LSU. #2 (son) is going there in the fall. Don't know whats wrong with ULL, it's 5 blocks from the house.

I have been watching this 35 Senator for over a year. Originally listed at over 60K. It was sold and the buyer rejected it for blisters. Hence the very expensive bottom job. I spoke with the yard owner and he says all the claims are true. Maybe a couple of small soft spots and the bright work needs freshening, we'll see.
My friend/broker (100 ton Master) said let's make them an embarrassing offer contingent on inspection, survey and haul out. They accepted so I am going to see it next week.

1985 Senator Flybridge Sedan Trawler Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Old 12-08-2016, 12:04 PM   #16
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Wifey B: #1 child (daughter) went to LSU. #2 (son) is going there in the fall. Don't know whats wrong with ULL, it's 5 blocks from the house.
Wifey B: You answered your own question, exactly what's wrong with ULL, it's only 5 blocks from the house.

Just be glad at least they're choosing a state school and not private or out of state.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 12:49 PM   #17
Memorial Member

Lsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: You answered your own question, exactly what's wrong with ULL, it's only 5 blocks from the house.

Just be glad at least they're choosing a state school and not private or out of state.
That was a rather rhetorical question wasn't it?
Two big rivers and 52 miles away.
As it is, from birth we slowly put back 50K each for higher education. #1 got a merit based scholarship (TOPS) and a check from me for 22k on graduation. We have yet see how #2 fairs.
Old 12-08-2016, 02:30 PM   #18
Guru

City: Las Vegas/West Coast
Vessel Name: Pairadice
Vessel Model: Selene 47
Good luck on the boat search. Retired military? Just guessing by CWO

Cheers
Crusty Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 03:00 PM   #19
Memorial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty Chief View Post
Good luck on the boat search. Retired military? Just guessing by CWO

Cheers
3 years Aircraft mechanic, 1 year WORWAC Flight School and 4 years a Warrant Officer aviator then some reserve time. Out by 24, all in all "a great place to start". Pretty much ruined me for real work.
Old 12-08-2016, 03:41 PM   #20

City: Matagorda Bay
Vessel Name: Salty
Vessel Model: 2005 Defever 44
Welcome aboard from another misplaced LA boy, CWO!

"Don't know whats wrong with ULL, it's 5 blocks from the house."

Ha!...Nothing wrong with ULL (or USL as we older folks still call it!). I paid for two Master Degrees there....neither of the kids are working in that field any longer though... I have to agree with B&B....ULL was probably too close to dear ol' Dad for the kids!

greysailor is offline   Reply With Quote