New Member Looking to Switch to a Trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scottdantis

Vessel Name
Scott Free and Gigi Too
Vessel Make
Silverton 2002 392
Hello everyone I am new member with a Silverton 392. I have been boating for over 30 years in Long Island, New Jersey and now I have moved our boating to the Chesapeake Bay in Rock Hall MD. We primarily cruse for the long weekends locally.

Our Silverton certainly is not a Trawler, with large 8.1 crusaders and very high fuel consumption. We are looking to move over to a Trawler style in a smaller boat over the next few years as we retire. Any suggestions or feedback is greatly appreciated as we learn about the new Trawler style boating lifestyle.

Thank You

Welcome to the trawler life Scott. I am new to trawlers myself, and I am very much enjoying reading up on these forms and learning new things.

Thanks so much looking to learn more , and get guidance on my final boat.

Thanks so much looking to learn more , and get guidance on my final boat.

Welcome Scott.

Firstly, there is rarely a final boat.

Secondly, you need to be a little more specific in what you are looking for in your next boat if you want some valuable suggestions. Saying "I want a trawler" is barely better than "I want a boat". Budget? Age? Size? Intended purpose? Engine type and how many? etc etc etc

Lastly whatever boat you decide on will come with a terrible anchor that needs replacing.

Welcome aboard. Final boat??? We are on our 24th boat and 4 or 5 ago was going to be our final boat.

Welcome. I can’t help with your boat choice but you’ll get lots of info hanging out on this forum. Where in Rockhall do you dock the boat? We visit the area to fish and crab and usually anchor in Swan Creek and go to the gin mills in town. Last season the town trolley ceased operations and transient boaters lost l the only public transportation to local establishments. Rumor mill has it returning,let’s hope so. Best of luck with finding your next boat.

Welcome. I can’t help with your boat choice but you’ll get lots of info hanging out on this forum. Where in Rockhall do you dock the boat? We visit the area to fish and crab and usually anchor in Swan Creek and go to the gin mills in town. Last season the town trolley ceased operations and transient boaters lost l the only public transportation to local establishments. Rumor mill has it returning,let’s hope so. Best of luck with finding your next boat.

Not sure I've been to a gin mill, but sounds like my kind of place!

RTF
14999! One more welcome from you and it will be 15000!

Scott, I hope you see what you have done! Welcome aboard.

...and now I have moved our boating to the Chesapeake Bay in Rock Hall MD. We primarily cruse for the long weekends locally.

Our Silverton certainly is not a Trawler, with large 8.1 crusaders and very high fuel consumption. We are looking to move over to a Trawler style in a smaller boat over the next few years as we retire. Any suggestions or feedback is greatly appreciated as we learn about the new Trawler style boating lifestyle.

Not sure how it works with gas engines, but in the meantime you can maybe run your 392 slow like a trawler (under hull speed) and call it good. Your hull form and that boat shape maybe won't be great in all sea states and all weather, but then again that's a factor that affects many other boats too.

-Chris

Thanks David we keep our boat at Osprey Point Marina and are new to this spot. We also are looking forward to the trolley coming back to town again.

Thanks Chris, we are going to try running at hull speed this summer for some runs on the bay. The Crusader 8.1 are not very fuel efficient, I normally cruise at 3200-3400 RPM which burns 32 GPH at 19MPH. I estimate my waterline length at 31.9 feet which should be a hull speed of about 8.7 MPH. I also installed a SIMRID IS35 digital display connected to my NMEA 2000 network with a Fox Marine ECM/PCM Engine Gateway which plugs in to the 4-pin diagnostic connector. This will give me a very accurate true burn of fuel or gallons per mile based my movement with GPS.

My boat only has 500 hours on the engines, and we are considering moving to smaller platform like a Ranger R29 or 31 to use in retirement. We do enjoy the larger accommodations with our Silverton with the way we use the boat now as a weekend cruiser. I think you are all correct their is no such thing as your "last boat".

Generally you'll want to be just below hull speed so I would shoot for 8 MPH which should dramatically improve your MPG I would think. (or better yet, around 7 knots)

We are considering moving to smaller platform like a Ranger R29 or 31 to use in retirement. I like the idea of being able to move the boat with a trailer for winter storage, or trailer the boat to a destination. Not sure if we can live with the smaller size as we appreciate the space we have now. The other consideration is taking the boat from the Chesapeake to trips to Florida for some extended trips, our boat today is not practical with it's fuel consumption, and I am going to test some runs at hull speed this coming season.

We do enjoy the larger accommodations with our Silverton with the way we use the boat now as a weekend cruiser. I think you are all correct their is no such thing as your "last boat".

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom