New Member looking for advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lhcboy

Hello folks, my name is Tim and currently reside in Lake Havasu City AZ. I am 43 and at a crossroads in life. I have spend the last 20 years in this town and have 100s if not 1000s of hours of boating on our lake along with the Colorado River.

My wife is originally from Daytona Beach and her son lives in Winter Haven FL and we have decided that within the next five years we are going to rent out our house and head to Daytona Beach.

Which brings me to why I am looking for advice. I currently am in the car business I.E. sales and I really don't want to spend the rest of my life on a car lot and I love the water.

So I have decided to embark on a new career so I can be prepared for when we arrive. I am currently training for my Master Captains License to operate on inland waters . My goal is to one day Captain a vessel on the intercostal water along the east coast mainly in the Halifax River area.

So over the next five years I will work weekends and evenings running friends boats doing sunset charters, weekend cruises and towing for Vessel Assist on our current lake to build hours with a Captains License.

My question for anyone that is a Captain or has had the chance to work in the area (Daytona Beach) is this a pipe dream or is there real opportunity out there to make a few bucks and enjoy what I really love doing. What are going to be some road blocks or hurdles that I might expect.

I apologize in advance for the long introduction and also thank you in advance for the advise.

Tim

Welcome aboard TF
I can't add any info re: intercoastal commercial opportunities.
I do recall a member posting about his Capt license and his working for Disney running their boats on Disney lake (s)...maybe he will chime in. Might try a search to see if you find his posts.
Best of luck persuing the dream.
If the Capt route doesn't pan out how about combining prior sales experience into boating?
Boat sales? Brokering? Delivery Capt for a builder? Or combination of above.

Forgot SeaTow or TowBoat US...there are certainly opportunities along the coast / intercoastal

There are captain jobs around....and also many peole with Captain licences looking for any or better work.....and a dream

Entry level jobs are hardly a living wage, but some nice jobs can pay well.....

Not a lot of salt water right at Daytona to support an industry because little to no ocean access...but spread out and include the inland waters to Orlando and it might be a different story.

Thanks for the replies and look forward to following this forum for years to come.

Welcome Tim. There has been folks here on TF that got tired of the north and moved to Florida. They are doing well....

I agree with Don! Check out being a Broker. You have that specialized experience and it gets you on the water.

Welcome Tim. There has been folks here on TF that got tired of the north and moved to Florida. They are doing well....

I agree with Don! Check out being a Broker. You have that specialized experience and it gets you on the water.

Was speaking to my wife about that this morning. Going to start looking in that direction and maybe relocate a little further south. We have lots of time. Thanks for the input

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom