New Member Intro and Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nordski

Hi All,

I’ve been lurking on TF for some time but never posted.

After 40 plus years of sailing we’ve been thinking about making the jump to power for a while. After several years of looking and researching what features we would like in a trawler and making a list of next-boat-must-haves (which we figured we'd never find), a boat-house kept CHB Europa 42 appeared locally that had everything we had on our list.

She came with the name Island Song and her homeport is Bellingham Washington. We store her out of the water in the off season as we don’t in live nearby and are busy with winter activities. So if you are part of the PNW cruising scene you’ll see us June-September out and about.

I have been told she is 42’ LOA, has a beam of 14’ and displaces 26,000 lbs. Can anyone on the list confirm or update those numbers? How about draft and waterline length?

She also came with a 25 lb plow anchor. We had a 33 lb Bruce on our 13,000 lb sailboat so 25 lb’s is obviously not big enough. I plan to stay with a Bruce as I have confidence in the design and I can get one used for much less than one of the current anchors du jour. The charts show a 44 lb Bruce as the appropriate size. At twice the displacement my common sense says that’s not big enough. I have an all chain 3/8’ rode. Any thoughts on anchor size would be appreciated.

Lastly, we are considering a repower. She currently has a single Volvo TAMD61A rated at somewhere around 300 hp. I have seen the same boat online with a single Ford Lehman. My question is: how much horsepower do we need in a new engine?

Welcome aboard. If you are looking for a cruise speed of 8 knots or so I would look at a 6B Cummins reman. I think they are 210 HP and they are a great engine. Parts are available everywhere. Good luck.

Hi All,

I’ve been lurking on TF for some time but never posted.

Lastly, we are considering a repower. She currently has a single Volvo TAMD61A rated at somewhere around 300 hp. I have seen the same boat online with a single Ford Lehman. My question is: how much horsepower do we need in a new engine?

Welcome to the forum!

Engine size is relative to how fast you want to go...and how much fuel you want to burn. I would guess the Lehman would go maybe 9 knots and the Volvo made 10 to 11 knots. I doubt you will get it up on plane. The already mentioned Cummins 6BT 210 HP woud be a good choice. The Cummins 6B 135 HP would be an excellent choice. The 210 is available as a factory reman; the 135 is essentially the same engine without a turbo. You would have to find a used one and have a top rebuilder make it good as new.

Lots of other good choices, but I prefer quieter low RPM diesels.

Ted

Back
Top Bottom