Old 06-02-2017, 03:53 PM   #21

City: Hood Canal
I'm new to the forum just looking for info with likeminded folks. I have an older trawler 79 Albion with lots of miles. Just getting back from the Broughtons in BC. Heading back home to Hood Canal Wa. I had some minor issues (part failures) am currently in Heriot Bay BC waiting out wind to make it to Cambelll river BC. Ever tried to get parts on line within a reasonable time frame? Frustrating. Gene M

Gene M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 04:03 PM   #22
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene M View Post
I'm new to the forum just looking for info with likeminded folks. I have an older trawler 79 Albion with lots of miles. Just getting back from the Broughtons in BC. Heading back home to Hood Canal Wa. I had some minor issues (part failures) am currently in Heriot Bay BC waiting out wind to make it to Cambelll river BC. Ever tried to get parts on line within a reasonable time frame? Frustrating. Gene M
Are you saying you're trying to order parts online? Rather than through a yard or supplier?

BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 04:46 PM   #23
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Welcome aboard.
Old 06-02-2017, 04:56 PM   #24
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
Glad to see a new face on the forum, welcome.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 11:33 AM   #25

City: Cape Coral, FL
Vessel Name: Pizza Money
Vessel Model: Symbol 44 Sundeck
Smile

Thanks! New member from south florida. Purchased an 86 Symbol 44' Sundeck with cummins V555 diesels. Looking forward to meeting everone!
Pizza Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 12:12 PM   #26
Enigma

Greetings,
Welcome aboard.
Old 06-13-2017, 02:21 PM   #27

City: greensburg pa
Geoff & cathy geier
We operate on the east coast and a 58 hatteras lrc
geoff geier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 10:07 PM   #28

City: St. Louis
Hi. I'm new to boating, trawlers and the forum. My partner and I just bought a 2002 Monk 36. Getting captain training next week. And probably the week after that, and the week after that..... I'm kind of a slow learner.
Squiresg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 02:01 AM   #29
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squiresg View Post
Hi. I'm new to boating, trawlers and the forum. My partner and I just bought a 2002 Monk 36. Getting captain training next week. And probably the week after that, and the week after that..... I'm kind of a slow learner.
Welcome, and enjoy. And I bet you don't need more than one (or max of two) training sessions. It's not rocket science, handling a boat. It's largely logical application of physics. Big boats have lots of inertia, and are slow to accelerate or stop, but they are predictable and less affected by wind etc than small boats. You learn to use this to your advantage.
You just need to relax, think ahead, and try to predict how situations will play out before you get into them, then you have a plan of action. It's actually quite easy. You wil find a lot of info on here also.
Old 06-24-2017, 04:24 AM   #30
Enigma

Greetings,
Welcome aboard.
Old 09-30-2017, 08:30 AM   #31
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
I suggest you put this in a correct sub forum and start another thread.
Old 10-02-2017, 12:47 PM   #32
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
7 years in the Navy, MM trained in nuclear power, submarines, main propulsion. One Med cruise on a destroyer a year younger than me. Got out, went to college, came out with a BS, major in forestry. Professional forester: 22+ years.
I currently own a documented 2008 American Tug 34ft long. They still make the same boat but now is documented as 36ft long... The builder now adds in the swim platform for the OAL. 400 gal fuel, 150 gal water, 45 gal holding tank, 6 kw Northern Lights gen. Engine: Cummins QSB 5.9 Model 380 HO

I owned a Norhavn 46 that was already for an extended cruise... during the final yard visit.... the yard worker pulled a jack prior to placing a new jack first. Results: fell off the jacks, drove the port stabilizer into the owner's stateroom = constructive loss.

Ah the American Tug was a perfect boat when I bought it. LOL I discovered quickly there was not really enough storage for two people. I have added a cabinet in the galley starboard next to microwave, another cabinet just aft and starboard overhead of the stove for spices, a cabinet on the port side aft in overhead for books.

A medicine cabinet in the head, an overhead cabinet in owner's stateroom at the end of and centerline of the end of the house. Added 5 compartment fans, replaced both A/Cs, 500 gpd water maker, 2 solar panels, added a 3rd house battery (3X200 amps), replaced the tender (Apex 10Ft) and bought a Honda 7HP motor, added a Splendie washer/dryer. I am still stuck with the one small hanging closet.... No hope to expand that closet. Replaced the carpet too. I added an independent depth sounder and rudder indicator.... with separate displays, in case the other system goes down. Put in dripless shaft seal and rudder seal. I do believe I have maxed out the upgrades with the exception of the electronics.

I think that is all I have done to date. I have come to the conclusion, I am doing this all for the next owner. I have said many times, "That's a lot of perfume on the pig." The next owner will either be very happy or find another boat.

Anything else you want, either look it up on the internet or ask me. I will be more than happy to answer you.
Dan.
OldDan1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 01:29 PM   #33
Enigma

Greetings,
Welcome aboard.