New Member from Glacier Bay

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ak-guy

Vessel Name
Troll Hunter
Vessel Make
Allweather
I am sure I have seen some of you in Glacier Bay where I work. I work for Glacier Bay National Park as a captain. I operate the park vessel that delivers park rangers to and from cruise ships. We operate just like a pilot boat.

I have just bought a 26' Allweather, see allweatherboats.com The boat is somewhat of a basket case but the quality construction has stood the test of time. I will be replacing all the wiring, refurbishing the interior, replacing the fuel delivery system and many other things. The engine is good I think, a Yanmar 3HM. I am layed off in the winter and needed a winter project.

Welcome. I checked out the link and they boat looks interesting. Good luck with the project. Remember we will want pictures.

Welcome aboard! Oh boy, another project boat to follow! We look forward to your progress, be sure to take plenty of pics!

I am sure I have seen some of you in Glacier Bay where I work. I work for Glacier Bay National Park as a captain. I operate the park vessel that delivers park rangers to and from cruise ships. We operate just like a pilot boat.

I have just bought a 26' Allweather, see allweatherboats.com The boat is somewhat of a basket case but the quality construction has stood the test of time. I will be replacing all the wiring, refurbishing the interior, replacing the fuel delivery system and many other things. The engine is good I think, a Yanmar 3HM. I am layed off in the winter and needed a winter project.

Wifey B: We loved Glacier Bay so thanks for all you do. How many months of the year is the Park open?

Interesting boat and project. If it's too cold to work, isn't it too cold to work on a boat? :eek:

Welcome to the forum! Know all about boat refits. Enjoy the process but don't get consumed by it.

Ted

As mentioned in another thread; welcome aboard, and congratulations on finding an Allweather!

Looks like the Allweather would ride waves like a Surf Scoter...have you been able to test that theory of mine in nasty conditions yet?

The boat hasn't been in the water for 6 or so years. I have never been on this or any other Allweather but I hope to be.

Wifey B: We loved Glacier Bay so thanks for all you do. How many months of the year is the Park open?

Interesting boat and project. If it's too cold to work, isn't it too cold to work on a boat? :eek:

The park is open year round but very few visitors in the winter. My job has to do with cruise ships and there are none in the winter.

Most of the work I need to do is inside, at least there is plenty to last the winter. Next summer Iwil be doing some exterior work when I have time.

The park is open year round but very few visitors in the winter. My job has to do with cruise ships and there are none in the winter.

Most of the work I need to do is inside, at least there is plenty to last the winter. Next summer Iwil be doing some exterior work when I have time.

Wifey B: We were there late June, 2014. It was cold enough then. Don't think I could take winter, plus the short days. :ermm:

ak-guy,
3HM is a good engine. I had one in my previous boat .. Albin 25. A bit noisy. I had some harmonic vibration issues that may not have been the fault of the engine but the structure of the boat hull.
Some day you may want a steadying sail.
I saw an Alweather in Craig a few years ago.
Any ballast?

I once had ambitions of fishing out of Gustavus .. hand troll. When I announced I was bringing my trailer home out there the So Gustavus hippies of the day politely ran me out of town.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom