Old 11-23-2020, 08:24 AM   #1

City: BIG PINE KEY
Vessel Name: Farside
Vessel Model: Glen-L Hercules
New Member in the Florida Keys

Bought a Glen-L Hercules a few years back in need of some renovations and had found one of the previous owners in a search in a thread on this forum. Have been searching for it's previous owners and will be posting more about them and looking for other information any members may have.

Looking forward to talking with others.

Keith
ksipes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 08:59 AM   #2
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
Bought a boat? Welcome to the funny farm.
Old 11-23-2020, 09:56 AM   #3

Owned many boats, this is just the latest!
Old 11-23-2020, 10:36 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Welcome aboard. Congrats on your new boat.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 10:41 AM   #5
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Welcome aboard.
Old 11-23-2020, 10:58 AM   #6
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksipes1 View Post
Owned many boats, this is just the latest!
Ah ha. You missed the upgrading, maintenance and the drain on your economic resources so you bought another boat. Got it!
Old 11-23-2020, 12:56 PM   #7
Guru

City: South Florida
He's in the Keys, of course he's owned many boats, and even knowing the "upgrading, maintenance and the drain on your economic resources" he bought another boat, that's a symptom of Keysdisease!

Keysdisease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 01:30 PM   #8
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keysdisease View Post
He's in the Keys, of course he's owned many boats, and even knowing the "upgrading, maintenance and the drain on your economic resources" he bought another boat, that's a symptom of Keysdisease!

One does not have to live in the Keys to catch this disease.
Old 11-23-2020, 06:57 PM   #9
Guru

City: South Florida
Perhaps not, but I would wager a refreshing beverage the % per capita of boat owners is higher in the island chain than on the mainland

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
One does not have to live in the Keys to catch this disease.
Keysdisease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 07:10 PM   #10
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Welcome aboard. With you having owned many boats, I dare say, you may have lots to offer here.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 08:35 PM   #11
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl
Did a prevoius owner build it with Glen L plans or was it professionally built? Steel or FG over Ply?
Old 11-24-2020, 05:07 AM   #12

Glen-L Hercules

First owner Louie built L's Belle from Glen L plans in North Florida back in 1993. He built it with plywood over frame and epoxy over glass cloth. Since then their have been at least 4 owners I have been able to track and possibly more.

I bought it for a very low price knowing it need a lot of soft wood replaced and considerable epoxying and lots of old paint grinding and a complete repainting. I pulled it and configured and old trailer to hold it and work on it in my yard when I have time.
Found some information on the boat here on this forum.
TRAILER TRAWLER
https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/...-tug-1129.html
Its a great little boat and is packed with electronics and features and I plan on having it back in the water this spring.
Look forward to hearing from anyone who may have any info on this boat and any other Hercules owners.
Old 11-26-2020, 12:25 PM   #13

City: Ellington
Hi Ksipes1:
I'm new to the forum as well, just posted my introduction thread a few minutes ago...

I am looking to move to Marathon soon, probably in early spring.

I'm looking for property and a boat but it's hard when I am in the midwest.
I may be flying down to look at some possible homes and boats in Jan. I have several realtors keeping an eye out for me.

I see you are close to Marathon, maybe after I move down we can get acquainted :-)

I wanted to get a good sized boat but the only home with it's own dock on a canal I can find (that I can afford) can only handle a 30ft boat...you can see a photo of this dinky place in my introductory post.

I do like the look of your boat..it looks like a mini-tug. How long is that boat?
Bobalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 06:10 PM   #14

It's 24 feet long and basically a twin of the Nordic Tug you are looking at buying but made of wood covered with epoxy. You might want to look at homes in Big Pine Key. Lots of canal homes but probably not much inventory right now.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3657.jpg   IMG_2834.jpg  
Old 11-27-2020, 08:13 PM   #15

City: Ellington
I will look at home possibilities in Big Pine Key...

Your boat is extremely cute :-)

I wish I could get away and come down to the keys but I'm too busy just now. I'd like to go get a close-up look at that tiny island called Money Key... Only by actually walking around on it and looking at the water surrounding it could I get a good idea of what it is. The island is less than an acre when water is its highest but the title covers about 3.5 acres which is the island and the surrounds. I think I could tell if it would be easy or difficult to construct docks if I could see with my own eyes.

In your boat photos the bench-seat across from the galley looks like it could make a nice place to sleep.

That boat, when finished, will be as nice looking as the Nordic Tug I am interested in and it costs 69,000.00 Will you power it with an outboard motor? It is small enough for that I think.
Bobalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 06:31 AM   #16

The boat basically is finished. I bought it two years ago and have used it a lot. I just pulled it and put it on a trailer so I could repaint it. It used to be all black and the paint was cheap, old, and chalky. I also took the time to replace some soft wood and epoxy it while taking off the many layers of paint the boat had over the years. It is all repainted now with Awlgrip as you can see in the picture. I am am almost done replacing the windows the were leaking and it will be back in the water very soon.
It already has a Perkins 30 hp. diesel that was put in new back when it was built in 1993 that is low hours and runs great. The boat cruises at 7 knots and has 80 gallon diesel tanks and 40 gallons of water. It is a fully equipped boat. It has a 12 volt/110 volt refrigerator, alcohol/electric stove, hot/cold running water, air conditioning, electric head, hot/cold shower, new 7" Garmin color gps/fish finder, radar, auto pilot, and much more.
The back of the couch you mentioned folds up and out to an upper bunk along with the lower bunk.
I looked at the Chip Ahoy Nordic Tug you are considering buying in Naples and my Glen-L Hercules is very similar and possibly better equipped but around $63,000 less in cost.
Good luck with your journey down to the Keys!