Old 11-28-2020, 08:41 AM   #1

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Yofi
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug / 32
Hello from the PNW

Homeport is Seattle, cruise with my wife. I am a long time lurker - new poster. I just popped up a WTB ad (nordic 32 or similar) and would love the hive mind to help me out with some ideas and "brain re-tuning".

You DO seem like a friendly bunch compared to a lot of places on the internet - Respect!

Greg
Greg Salish Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 10:13 AM   #2
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Greg, welcome to TF and good luck with your search. You might start looking for a slip now as I understand there's a waiting list at most places. It's better to get your slip then your boat than to get your boat and not have a place to dock it.

Also, have you taken WA's boater safety course yet? It's required unless you're and old fart like me.
Old 11-28-2020, 10:16 AM   #3

PNW cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC View Post
Greg, welcome to TF and good luck with your search. You might start looking for a slip now as I understand there's a waiting list at most places. It's better to get your slip then your boat than to get your boat and not have a place to dock it.

Also, have you taken WA's boater safety course yet? It's required unless you're and old fart like me.
Thanks! - yes, boater safety course is long done... And we have a slip at Elliot Bay Marina. I need to sell my Sailboat along the way. Do you know of anyone looking for a "sloop rigged" trawler?
Old 11-28-2020, 10:20 AM   #4
Veteran Member

City: Santa Barbara
Vessel Name: WILSON
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 32-260
Greetings. This is indeed a fine group. I lived in the PNW for a couple of years and made a career move back to So Cal. I miss PNW boating and continue to dream about bringing my NT32 up for a season or two. Tough decision - that's a big commute and I can't afford two boats.

I love my NT32. If I could afford a larger slip I would have bought an NT37. A separate cabin is a luxury for sure, but the separate shower compartment is really nice.

As an ex-sailor in a cruising area where protected harbors are rare, I would suggest that you research "wave slap" and make sure you are up to speed on how to deal with it. In a protected anchorage or one where you can pick your spot carefully you may be OK. I have sailor friends here (ex: Beneteau and Jeanneau boats) who sleep in their cramped V-berths rather than the main cabin because of the noise of wind driven chop at night.

I have to run, but I will check back or answer any questions you want to throw at me later.
dwilkieo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 10:39 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Welcome aboard. Have fun looking for the boat.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 01:19 PM   #6
Guru

City: Nanaimo
Vessel Name: former owner of "Pilitak"
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Hi Greg,
Welcome to the Forum!
A lot of us are former "rag hangers". I used to own a Bavaria 36 and have since moved (up) to a Nordic Tug 37. It may seem unnecessary, but taking some time to ensure you get it "right" for your next boat is worthwhile IMHO.

Figure out how you will likely use the boat. For example, lots of guests (regularly), kids, or hardly any guests. Long extended trips, or shorter (week long or less) trips. Mostly anchoring or marinas. Etc.
From there, what features are must have, what are nice to have, and what are DO NOT WANT. Personal preference really comes into this. For example, for us we did not want screwed down teak decks, exterior wood work, and twin engines. The twins was because in the size range we looked at, the ER was very cramped with twins, difficult to work on engines, double the cost and maintenance.
Once you have those lists compare with your significant other and compromise, and it will become apparent what boat(s) best fit your desires.
It is very unlikely that you will find any boat that is perfect for you, so be prepared to compromise on some things.
Enjoy the process!
Old 11-28-2020, 01:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehoser75 View Post
Hi Greg,
Welcome to the Forum!
A lot of us are former "rag hangers". I used to own a Bavaria 36 and have since moved (up) to a Nordic Tug 37. It may seem unnecessary, but taking some time to ensure you get it "right" for your next boat is worthwhile IMHO.

Figure out how you will likely use the boat. For example, lots of guests (regularly), kids, or hardly any guests. Long extended trips, or shorter (week long or less) trips. Mostly anchoring or marinas. Etc.
From there, what features are must have, what are nice to have, and what are DO NOT WANT. Personal preference really comes into this. For example, for us we did not want screwed down teak decks, exterior wood work, and twin engines. The twins was because in the size range we looked at, the ER was very cramped with twins, difficult to work on engines, double the cost and maintenance.
Once you have those lists compare with your significant other and compromise, and it will become apparent what boat(s) best fit your desires.
It is very unlikely that you will find any boat that is perfect for you, so be prepared to compromise on some things.
Enjoy the process!
Tom - that looks a heck of a lot like the list I put in the WTB section this morning! Have a look.