new member from Canada

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newtoCHB

Vessel Name
SULA
Vessel Make
CHB 34
I have just acquired a 1979 CHB 34 that needs TLC and I am looking for help already. There is no owner manual with the documents. There is a fair amount of water in the bilge and I cant find the midship bilge pump. Can anyone tell me where it is usually located?

Welcome newtoCHB,

I have a similar boat to yours. There is a forward bilge pump that captures water from the anchor locker and the forward head. There is also a aft bilge pump located by the gear box that captures water from the stuffing box, the aft head and the lazarette. There is no bilge pump for the area under the engine as it is probably contaminated with oil from the engine. The only way I can get water in that area is from water leaks or spills the cooling system. I keep engine diapers under the engine in that area.

Hope that helps.

Welcome to TF. This is a great place to hang out and, as NWSeadog has already shown, a good place to get your questions answered.

I have seen reference to a "mid ship bilge pump" in comments elsewhere so I assumed there must be one somewhere. There are two bilge pump switches on the main panel but neither seems to be connected to a pump. I found the forward pump and it works but the manual override input has been disconnected. In my boat there is a metal oil trap under the engine and above the bilge. I thought to trace the pump back from the outlet pipe but I cant find one in the engine room so I thought it might go through into another compartment.

Greetings eh?
Welcome aboard. A 1979 Taiwanese vessel may NOT have, what might have been, factory installed equipment in the "usual" places. A lot may have been changed, added or eliminated by DPOs (Dad-gummed Previous Owners) some of whom were probably "rocket scientists" from my experiences. You will also probably discover new and exciting electrical, plumbing and mechanical "modifications" which will cause you to add to "the list" (see below).

To address your second question:

What you might have to do initially is suck the bilge water out with a wet/dry vac keeping strongly in mind what Mr. NWS noted regarding oil contamination. I suspect you will have to find an environmentally friendly way of disposing of that contaminated bilge water.

No problem with needing or asking for help. You have a new mistress and you have to get to know each other...intimately. Now is a good time to start that infamous "to do" list (at least volume #1).
I would suggest you start exploring and writing down anything and everything you find as well as taking copious pictures. You WILL eventually need diagrams of what is where, what goes where and where the h*ll is ??? Ooops, you've already not found something.

Keep VERY strongly in mind that although you will get a LOT of advice from members, not ALL of it will be applicable nor of the best quality but the majority should be.

A bit about yourself, please? Boating experience? Anticipated uses for boat etc.

Thanks and personal info

Thanks for the greetings and suggestions so far. I have been a sailboater since the 1960's. Sailed in NZ and then Canada lakes in Quebec and Ontario, more recently BC on the sunshine coast. Getting too old to handle a sailboat in strong weather. Plan is to restore the CHB and continue to explore Desolation Sound and further north.

Welcome to the Dark Side. We love converts and we love Canadiens, Eh?

I am pretty sure a 34 CHB will be a single engine. Probably a Ford Lehman 120. Right under the front of the engine should be your shower sump, right in front of that should be your main bilge pump.

If you have a genny, there may be a second bilge pump slightly under the rear platform for the genny.

A manual would not be any help to you. They seldom show accessories such as bilge pumps and yours is most certainly "Owner Modified" over the past 40 years.

B.T.W., F.W.I.W. (By the way, for what its worth) All boats leak, especially Taiwan Trawlers. Some from the bottom half (stuffing box, rudder box, thru hulls) some from the top half, (decks, windows, hatches.) Just find the leaks one at a time and patch them, don't fret about them

pete

Welcome aboard newtoCHB We are just South of you,good luck
and hopefully see you in the future.

I assume you are at the Texada boat club or Marble bay? I'm right across from you. Did you buy the boat locally? As you probobly know, there are a few CHBs in the North Harbour, South Harbour and Beach Gardens.

Hi Northern Spy.
You guess correctly we are at Texada Boat Club - or will be as soon as engine cooling is fixed and we can bring her over. There seems to be quite a community round here.

I have just acquired a 1979 CHB 34 that needs TLC and I am looking for help already. There is no owner manual with the documents. There is a fair amount of water in the bilge and I cant find the midship bilge pump. Can anyone tell me where it is usually located?

Welcome aboard. Yes, been there - done that. Ours was a sedan version of '75 vintage, called a Clipper 34. Made in same yard as yours though. Spent over 30k doing what you're about to do. She was never perfect - not even in excellent condition ever, but we loved her, and enjoyed her for 16 years, then sold for not much less than I paid for her, so enjoy. You'll have your moments, but the satisfaction of improving things outweighs the let-downs - mostly... :D

Oh, sorry, nearly forgot. That bilge pump should be in the bilge down for'd of the bottom of the steps down into the engine room, just aft of the bulkhead (wall) between ER and forward cabin/head, etc.

Attachments

• 5510A40B-ED3C-4C01-A1D1-36EFD93A957F_1_105_c.jpeg
    5510A40B-ED3C-4C01-A1D1-36EFD93A957F_1_105_c.jpeg
    93.3 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom