Old 05-16-2021, 02:18 AM   #1

City: Athens, Greece
Vessel Name: LOLITA
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 32
Smile New member from Athens, Greece, in the Med

Hello there to all you passionate boaters!
I am a seasoned sailor with vast experience on different types of boats but it is my first time on a Grand Banks 32.
My first impression has been totally positive and I am looking forward to learning a lot about this boat from your awesome website and also to contributing whatever knowledge I can, in return.
You seem to be a very friendly and helpful bunch of people and I am looking forward to interacting with you.
With sunny regards from a country that is just opening up from covid restrictions.
I am covid free and I have been vaccinated.
We have just been allowed to go back on the water and it is so refreshing.
Nothing on land can equal being on the water - my humble opinion.
Fair winds to all.
Octaman
Octaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 02:37 AM   #2
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Welcome to TF. You'll not lack for advice and knowledge on here.

Just out of interest, is your (excellent) English your first or a second language..?
Old 05-16-2021, 02:48 AM   #3

Thank you Pete for your message.

Well, maybe I should say that English is my first language because my initial schooling was in English. However, my parents are both Greek and I went to university in Greece so my Greek is not lacking. Can I say that I have two first languages with my being more fluent in Greek today simply because, over time, living in Greece, my English has become a little rusty perhaps?

Octaman
Octaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 05:12 AM   #4
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Being truly bilingual must be quite an asset. My native language is Kiwi English, but I though I had a bit of a grasp on French, but found once in France it was sadly lacking. I read and write it better than speak it.
Old 05-16-2021, 07:01 AM   #5
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
Welcome and glad you are allowed back on the water.
I barely speak English (my first language) and currently busy forgetting the nouns.
Old 05-16-2021, 07:21 AM   #6
Guru

City: Malmö
Vessel Name: ABsolutely FABulous
Vessel Model: Greenline 33 Hybrid (2010)
Welcome aboard, Octaman!
We hope to be cruising in your country in ~2023...
Old 05-16-2021, 07:41 AM   #7

I appreciate your sense of humour Old Dan 1943.
In that case, I am just learning (smile)
Thank you for your message.
Octaman
Old 05-16-2021, 07:45 AM   #8

That is a very nice boat you have ScottC.
It is the way things are heading. The future is already here.
And with all the sun in the Med you should be more than amply sustainable.
You will like Greece when you get here.
What is different in the East Med compared to where you are is the quality of the water, it is more transparent and clear, and the quality of the light. Photographers have a lot to say about it. Your solar panels will love it. (smile) And the people on the Greek islands are very friendly and the food is excellent!
Bon voyage.
Octaman._
Old 05-16-2021, 08:25 AM   #9
Guru

Thank you, Octaman!

I certainly do like what the solar panels can do. But I also have to admit that I may be experiencing some solar panel facts-of-life first hand. When in Scandinavia, during the summer, we can have ~14-18 hours of daylight where I cruise. While the sun is not at the optimal angle off the horizon, this fact is largely offset by the sheer number of hours of daylight. In the limited time I've been in the Med, where the sun is at a more optimal angle, I've noticed that my total daily power production is close to what I'm used to experiencing in Scandinavia. I suspect this is probably due to shorter days and to the fact that solar panel efficiency drops with high temperatures.

Compared to the Baltic, I am of the opinion that the Western Med is as clear as glass. Hard to imagine I will experience even better when moving east!
Old 05-16-2021, 08:50 AM   #10

That is a very interesting observation ScottC.
Of exceptional value coming from a man that has been in two different parts of the world with your solar boat.
Thank you for sharing.

As for water clarity, you will be in for a pleasant surprise when you head east. Particularly in the Greek Aegean Sea.

We did not talk about the wind; we have the meltemi, strong northerlies, blowing in summer in the Cyclades and it takes some planning to make the crossings.
All good.
Thanks.
Old 05-16-2021, 09:11 AM   #11
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Welcome aboard.
Old 05-16-2021, 06:29 PM   #12
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octaman View Post
Hello there to all you passionate boaters!
I am a seasoned sailor with vast experience on different types of boats but it is my first time on a Grand Banks 32.
My first impression has been totally positive and I am looking forward to learning a lot about this boat from your awesome website and also to contributing whatever knowledge I can, in return.
You seem to be a very friendly and helpful bunch of people and I am looking forward to interacting with you.
With sunny regards from a country that is just opening up from covid restrictions.
I am covid free and I have been vaccinated.
We have just been allowed to go back on the water and it is so refreshing.
Nothing on land can equal being on the water - my humble opinion.
Fair winds to all.
Octaman
Wifey B: Oh so excited reading your post and being allowed back on the water. We're totally vaccinated and leaving for Italy on Monday, arriving on Tuesday to spend the summer on the water in Europe, including several days in Greece. While I didn't know what might be possible this summer I tried to control my excitement but now it's totally over the top and I'm

You'll love your GB 32 and the time on the water.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 07:26 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Welcome aboard. What engine is in the GB?
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 03:18 AM   #14

Well, Good for YOU, Wife B.
I am sure you will have a great time. Italy is also a fantastic destination. And it only makes sense that from Italy's heel you cross over to the first island of Greece which is Othonoi and then on to Corfu and all the islands of the Ionian Sea. You have every reason to be excited. Enjoy and thank you for your note.
Old 05-17-2021, 03:22 AM   #15

Comodave,
It is a bright red Ford Lehman 120hp, naturally aspirated. The original. the hourmeter seems to have low working hours and I am only guessing that it may have been overhauled in the past. She is ticking nicely. I should be in a position to have a better opinion after a couple of trips here and there.
Seems very promising.
Thanks,
Octaman._
Old 05-17-2021, 08:36 AM   #16

City: West Med
Vessel Name: La Mer
Vessel Model: Fleming 55
Kaliméra. Ti kanété ?

Prestigious and worldwide leading New-Yorker travel publication*Condé Nast Traveller*has presented the 10 most beautiful countries in the world and it comes as no surprise that Greece has made it onto their most exclusive list. There you can find anything; beaches, montains, forests, some of the most ancient monuments in the world, beatiful cities such as Thessalonika, Nafplio e.t.c., beautiful islands, a proud welcoming people, friendly and helpful, and the list goes on and on. There is nothing that you can not find in Greece.

I would divise the Mediterranean into two natural areas even they were unified under the Roman Empire, the Latinate West and the Hellenistic East. In previous times Hellenistic-Byzantine & late Ottoman, Greek élites have played a vital role in Mediterranean.

In 2015 went to Lefkas where we rented a Marine Trader 44 Sundeck and hired a crew for exploring the coast of western Greece and its dreamy Ionian islands.

Last year in August I shipped my boat as deck cargo from France to Piraeus and back; loaded directly from the water by shore crane in cradle supplied by the carrier. As it was conventional deck cargo shipping, mast, radar, antennas and rigging were left intact. Nothing beats the feeling of being onboard your own vessel.

After a first stop in Ydra island and a short ferry ride to Ermioni we sailed Agean Sea and stunning Cyclades islands. Very surprised how the weather was perfectly not windy at this time of the year, a cruise in paradise.

Kalosorisma
Attached Thumbnails
841D9C56-FE38-452A-9D60-E0CD228B4E19.jpeg   193A50ED-B0DE-4583-9BC5-FC848E6A452E.jpeg   A2336517-1102-4CF7-8557-5EE64775C61A.jpeg   AE8BDE58-184D-4D7B-B5EA-762B12EDAF16.jpeg   1257B8BE-270F-4231-905B-BE5F2A0FC84F.jpeg  

3C2E94D2-EE81-4391-8886-9DC9EEE11FFA.jpeg   D0618741-DBE7-441C-B31E-0BC491610A38.jpeg  
La Mer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 08:40 AM   #17
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Mer View Post
Kaliméra. Ti kanété ?

After a first stop in Ydra island and a short ferry ride to Ermioni we sailed Agean Sea and stunning Cyclades islands. Very surprised how the weather was perfectly not windy at this time of the year, a cruise in paradise.

Kalosorisma

Wow! I can't wait!!!
Old 05-17-2021, 09:08 AM   #18

Kalosorisma (Welcoming)

La Mer!

Eimaste kala - Euxaristw
(We are well - thank you)

What a lovely tale and beautiful photos of Santorini.

Thank you for the 'Kalosorisma'.
I am guessing you will continue to cruise in Paradise.
I have travelled extensively in earlier days and there are certainly many other beautiful and interesting places on the planet, but Greece and the Greek islands continue to be my number one! I agree with Conde Nast.

I am posting a photo from the Ionian to share with you - taken with my drone whilst cruising on the boat in the photo 2 years ago.

[IMG][/IMG]

Octaman._
Old 05-17-2021, 11:11 AM   #19
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octaman View Post
Well, Good for YOU, Wife B.
I am sure you will have a great time. Italy is also a fantastic destination. And it only makes sense that from Italy's heel you cross over to the first island of Greece which is Othonoi and then on to Corfu and all the islands of the Ionian Sea. You have every reason to be excited. Enjoy and thank you for your note.
Wifey B: If you only had time to make 5 stops in Greece, what ports would you choose?
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 02:53 AM   #20

Smile

Hey Wifey B,
That is a tough question; especially as I am in love with all the Greek islands and I find that every place has something unique to offer.
Anyway, having said that and assuming you will be coming in from Italy, I expect you want five suggestions for the Greek Ionian islands.
Here are five:
1. You want to do Corfu, the main town. It is where you will probably check in to the country with the port authorities. You can anchor out in front of the yacht club. Or go into the yachtclub if they have a berthing. Alternatively you can go to the nearby marina in Gouvia a few miles off. The town is busy but beauriful.
2. I think it is worthwhile making a stop at Sivota and spending the night in one of the beautiful bays of the little islands there.
3. Definitely Paxoi - one night in Longos and one night in the main town further south in the channel between the main island of Paxoi and Aghios Nikolaos.
4. Definitely Antipaxoi. Go into the bay just north of Agrapidia near the end of the day when most boats are leaving, stay overnight and leave in the morning when the first day-cruise-tourist-boat arrives after ten.'
5. That is easily more than five stops, really. But if you go further south you don't want to miss Fiskardo in Kefalonia.
Hope this helps.
Octaman._