The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sscan

Hello all,

Just joined this forum. We dont own a boat yet but are leaning towards Mainship boats. Semi retired engineer currently in Silicon Valley but actively planning to relocate to the Sarasota area for winters sometime in 2022. Active private pilot with commercial and instrument rating, limited boating experience and love the gulf coast of Florida. Completed the US Powerboating Cruising Course. Looking forward to learning from the experienced captains on this forum before making a purchase decision.

Welcome. You are READY. Lots of Mainships in Florida, especially down south. They seem to mostly sport 4- and 6-cylinder Yanmar engines in the never versions, although the 1980s versions seemed to have had some Perkins engines. My 6-cylinder, 315HP yanmar is quite different than the Yanmar 6-cylinder model in the trawler style MSs. Once you have settled on a boat model, you could join boatdiesel.com and subscribe to the engine series you might own to get a good feel for the engine, the single most important piece of equipment aboard outside of your brain.

Mainship Pilot Boats

Thanks rgano,

I have been looking at the Mainship pilot series and like them a lot. My mission goal is to boat around Sarasota Bay and once I get enough experience and confidence to make the trip down to the Florida Keys. I realize that I am some ways away from that goal especially since I dont even own a boat yet. As they say in the aviation world, there is no substitute for "stick time". I am familiar with the Marlow 34 which is what I trained in for the US Powerboating course.

As they say the "hunt" for the boat maybe is the best part of the boating experience.

Thanks

Welcome, this is the right place to learn about trawlers. Hard to beat Florida for boating options and destinations. Enjoy your journey.

John T.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom