The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TRW

New Boat Owner - joined the forum to learn about all aspects of boat ownership. We just purchased a 37ft CHB Puget Trawler. It in excellent condition but time to update some systems. Starting first adding a fuel gauge

Greetings,
Welcome aboard. I would strongly suggest you NOT make any major changes for the first year. Leak mitigation and mechanical repairs are the exception.

We're down the road from Bainbridge Island, one peninsula over in Sequim. We just joined and have just started looking for a boat.

I hope you find one. We were totally lucky! A friend was selling his boat to a friend of his and it fell through... We just happened to hear about it and wham... boat ownership

Welcome aboard. Congrats on your new boat.

Reactions: TRW
It is your boat and if you want a tank minder system, to feel safer, by all means, have one installed and calibrate against your sight glass reading. This may take a while..... depending on where you stated.
If you are lucky, you have rectangular tanks, you can figure out gallons per inch. Blue tape near the sight glass, magic marker, and you can at least figure the gallons per inch. Over time, you can calibrate the tank minder for your fuel tanks. Of course, this will be much easier if you have room in one tank to transfer fuel, one tank to another...... calibrate the sight glass. Fill one tank full, calibrate the tank minder to full then transfer fuel between tanks, calibrating the sight glass and the tank minder. Yea, I know, what I am saying is a bit foggy but think about it and it will all become clear.

Thanks for the advice.... But why wait a year?

To learn what you really need and/or want.

You will find that after months or years of ownership, what you feel you need or want will shift, sometimes significantly as you gain experience and usage of the boat.

Your first project, fuel gauges seems obvious, but you may find you rarely use them if it has sight gauges that work well, or you might find them invaluable. It all depends on how you use the boat and your personal preferences.

Greetings,
Mr. TRW. As Mr. sb notes. This is a new space for you. That "ideal" spot for whatever (toolbox/spare canned goods/extra lines etc.) may not be so "ideal" after things settle to a comfortable routine. By major changes I mean relocating bulkheads, installing lockers or similar. You may not be able or willing to re-do any "improvements" after the fact. Enjoy as she is currently. LOTS of time to think about "what-ifs".

My $.02.

To each his own, we just bought a new boat and I immediately started ripping into things to fix things I didn’t like. However this is our 24th boat so I know what I want to do with a boat. Make a plan on what you want and need in and from your boat and then work the plan. Good luck and have fun.

When you get a tank tender system, make sure you get a system to include all your fuel tanks, water tanks and black water tanks. Then, where to place the read out.

Back
Top Bottom