New member.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gman pearce

Hello.
My name is Gary and my wife is Elizabeth but she likes Liz.
We are looking to get into the Trawler life in about two years when I retire.
I have been a sailor since 1983 all on sailboats. Our current boat is a Beneteau First 235.
We are looking at Trawlers and Tugs in the 30 to 40 foot range.
We will be asking a lot of questions about the Trawler life, seeking advise and opinions.
We have two boats at the top of our list. First is the Eagle 32 Trans pack and the second is the Lord Nelson Tug 37.
Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome aboard Gary and Liz.

Where will your planned cruising grounds be?

We would like to do the Great Loop first. Take about two years to really explore and if we find some place we really like might just stay for awhile.

Welcome to the forum! The Loop is a wonderful trip!

Ted

Visit as many boats as you can, to get an idea of what feels comfortable in a boat as a place to live for 2 or more years.
Important factors for our comfort were wider side decks for docking and boat handling, 6'4" headroom, a useably large shower, a decent galley and a walk around queen bed.
An overview of older powerboats can be found in Pascoes' Mid Sized Powerboats, though it seems he didn't like any of them.
Chartering a twin diesel trawler with a training captain for a weekend should get you up to speed on handling differences, as well as trying on a trawler for "fit".
Good luck in your search.

Gary and Liz,
Welcome to the forum and I hope your boat hunt goes well. Tugs can be great boats for meeting the needs and wants of many people, but like most things, not for everyone.
I have seen, but not been aboard the Lord Nelson, but I am familiar with the Eagle. Good boats from what I have heard and seen.
Besides the usual 'comfort' things people discuss, also examine a potential boat from the viewpoint of future maintenance and repairs. Access to the critical engine and/or generator items that need regular attention like: filters, pumps, impeller changes, raw water components, coolant changes, batteries, etc. On some boats I "checked out" in the 30 to 40 foot range, you would have to be a small contortionist to be able to get to some of these items in some of the engine rooms or mechanical spaces I found. Just more to consider. Remember, boats involve compromise. It would be rare to find the "perfect" boat from all aspects.
Good luck.

Welcome aboard!

Two perfectly fine boats you're looking at. And with your sailboat experience, having a single screw trawler should be a fairly straightforward transition. The only real difference in terms of handling will be the fixed windage a trawler represents (and keel configuration, if you are used to fin keels).

We belong to the Port Townsend Yacht Club, and out of approximately 120 members we have FOUR Lord Nelson Victory 37 Tugs on our roster!

Darren.
First thanks for the warm welcome and advice.
We have friends in Port Townsend and they got us hooked and converted to the Trawler/Tugs.
We spent a weekend on their converted Salmon trawler “Sockeye“. Love their boat.
I bet you have seen their boat.
We hope to relocate up in your neck of the woods after we do the loop. The loop is not set in stone and we may skip that part.
Gary and Liz.

We would like to thank everyone for the warm welcome.
Looking forward to the conversations with all.
We look forward to our next chapter in our lives as trawlers.
Gary and Liz.

Back
Top Bottom