Old 09-16-2015, 02:15 PM   #1

City: West falmouth

Hi everyone.
My name is Jeremy. I live in West Falmouth on Cape Cod. I am a 35 yr old male, Architect by trade, and am transitioning to living on a trawler, the wife said she was into it, so I am jumping all over it. Right now I am shopping and trying to find the right fit. So...Hi, glad to be here.
Jjackpepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 02:19 PM   #2

City: Florida
Vessel Name: Lady Di
Vessel Model: 2012 Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
Welcome aboard. Tons-o-stuff here.
rclarke246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 02:26 PM   #3
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Jeremy
Welcome!
You are in the right place - lots of good info & good boat people here.
A good place to start might be Boat Search 101 - a "Sticky" in the General Discussion section. There of course are others you may find with a little creative searching. I also know there are experienced members in the Falmouth area that may be able to give some first hand insights and maybe a "peek in their porthole"...
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 02:27 PM   #4
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Welcome aboard.
Old 09-16-2015, 03:24 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

City: Cameron, La
Vessel Name: Baobab
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788
Welcome to the Trawler Forum!
dimer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 03:28 PM   #6
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Where are you planning on keeping your boat? Are they a year round marina? Have you talked to other liveaboards there?

I'm asking these questions as the challenge in your area is making things both livable and affordable over the course of the winter. Still there are those who do it very well.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 03:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Where are you planning on keeping your boat? Are they a year round marina? Have you talked to other liveaboards there?

I'm asking these questions as the challenge in your area is making things both livable and affordable over the course of the winter. Still there are those who do it very well.

Kingmans in Cataumet has bubblers and year round slips that are affordable. During the warm season I would probably keep it on the hook either at Kingmans or Parkers. I know both well, and as of now both have openings for next season.
Old 09-16-2015, 03:40 PM   #8

Thanks everyone for welcoming me.
Old 09-16-2015, 03:50 PM   #9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjackpepper View Post
Kingmans in Cataumet has bubblers and year round slips that are affordable. During the warm season I would probably keep it on the hook either at Kingmans or Parkers. I know both well, and as of now both have openings for next season.
They look like a very nice marina. A bit of a challenge getting in and out but that provides great protection. I've only seen it from the water as we saw it when we were exploring in our RIB.

What are the popular boats among the current liveaboards? Have you and your wife determined what size you are looking for?
Old 09-16-2015, 03:52 PM   #10

I know the winter will be tough. You are correct, one thing I have to do is go down there and pick the brains of some of the full timers to get a full handle on exactly what it takes to stay on through the winter. Last year was brutal, hopefully this one wont be so bad, but I doubt it.
Old 09-16-2015, 07:25 PM   #11

Im not sure what the popular live-aboards are yet, I should find that out. Initially Ive been looking at flybridges like the 38 Blackfin, because thats a popular boat around here and I was thinking about seaworthiness and resale, however, I don't think the spaces on them will work for me. The boat starts getting too big, in order for the interiors to be livable. I don't really want to go over 42. Ideally 38 would be nice, but I think its all boat dependent. How about some decent trawler recommendations. Theres a 36 sabreline for sale in va in my price range right now, however, it feels like there is something wrong with the boat since its been for sale since '08.
Old 09-16-2015, 08:16 PM   #12
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjackpepper View Post
Im not sure what the popular live-aboards are yet, I should find that out. Initially Ive been looking at flybridges like the 38 Blackfin, because thats a popular boat around here and I was thinking about seaworthiness and resale, however, I don't think the spaces on them will work for me. The boat starts getting too big, in order for the interiors to be livable. I don't really want to go over 42. Ideally 38 would be nice, but I think its all boat dependent. How about some decent trawler recommendations. Theres a 36 sabreline for sale in va in my price range right now, however, it feels like there is something wrong with the boat since its been for sale since '08.
It looks a bit to me like an owner who overpriced it and now, by the time he's willing to drop price, it's old and stale.

In that price range there are a lot of Mainship and Bayliner's and Carver's,plus Sea Ray Aft Cabin's, all worth considering as coastal cruiser liveaboard's. There's another Sabreline even less expensive in Jupiter. There are some Hatteras and Grand Banks but they'd be much older to be in the same price range. Not very many boats I'd refer to as "Trawlers" but a lot that you can enjoy doing most of the "Trawlering" things with (although not commercial fishing).
Old 09-16-2015, 09:08 PM   #13

City: Knoxville
Vessel Name: Pura Vida
Vessel Model: 08 Meridian 490 Pilothouse
Welcome y’all
Pura Vida is offline   Reply With Quote