Old 09-11-2020, 08:17 PM   #1

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Jus Say'n
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 50
First Trawler - Marine Trader 50

Hi all,
We are a first time trawler owner, having sailed/cruised for many years.
We are very happy with our new boat, and are in a crash course to learn to maintain, manage, and cruise our vessel. Our plan is to start cruising the Caribbean and later, the Loop.

Our 1984 walk-around MT LRC was recently renovated by the previous owner, but the documentation is severely limited, and so much of our initial effort is to understand the systems and set-up. And so I hope you will bear with me if I seek input and suggestions. This forum is the best I've seen, and I've spent much time already perusing the topics.

I look forward to the upcoming conversations and future meetings… and thank you in advance for your time and expertise to help us "newbies".

Rick and Margaret McGregor ("Jus Say'n", formerly "Mu Juk")
macsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 08:44 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Welcome aboard and congrats on your new boat. Have fun learning about it and don’t feel bad asking questions. We all ask some dumb questions. So ask away.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 09:16 PM   #3

City: Indianapolis
Vessel Name: MV La Vita Dolce
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 40 LRC
Welcome aboard. A great boat, which should serve you well for many years.
You might consider using an Excel type spreadsheet to collect the info about your boat as you gather it. Pics, text, and numbers are easily entered, and organized.
In the Library here, or on internet? is the databases written by the Captain of the Dirona, who has set them up for maintenence scheduling as well.
Even a notebook, with references to pictures will help. As you look at a system or part, record its' make, model, install date, and where to get more of them. Say a fresh water pump.
I also use the Msoft ToDo list as a place to make notes of tasks that I want to do, and what I need to get to do it. Undated, but otherwise I forget what I need to do next.
I keep one list with the numbers I may need on short notice, such as insurance policy number, Fed Registration number, MMSI number, dinghy registration number, etc.
If you dont have a copy of Nigel Calders' Boatowners Mechanical and Electrical Manual, get one, 4th edition, about $42 on Amazon. It seems to have something useful about anything that might be installed on a boat.
Have fun. JohnS
Old 09-11-2020, 09:27 PM   #4
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Welcome aboard TF. Enjoy your "new" boat... Ask away!!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote