New, just joined this great site!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Craigstarr

Vessel Name
Lin G
Vessel Make
1980 Bruce McLaren Ex Timber Trawler
Well im the owner of a McLaren Trawler, that im converting into a Cruiser..
Got lots of work ahead of me, got the old girl out on the hard stand and ready to get my hands dirty.
Would love some great tips, and some good advise, from you good People!

Cheers
Craig

Does anyone know how to put a picture on my public profile?

Welcome Craigo,

The Aussie numbers are increasing!

Just click "User CP" in the upper left hand corner, then "edit avatar" on the left hand selection bar. You can personalize your preferences in that general area.

G'day mate.
Welcome, good to have another Aussie amongst the ranks. You'll find heaps of valuable info both locally and internationally to assist in your project.

Better learn how to upload pics mate ... We ALL LOVE pics! :p

Cheers
Hendo

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Welcome aboard.
The pic on your profile is good, she really is/was a trawler, more pics please when you work it out.

Gday AusCan,

Thanks for the message and with your wise tips and my useless computer skills i finally worked it out! and i see my pic!

Cheers Hendo,

Yes still to master how to download pics on these messages now, it will come eventually..
Yes bring on the Aussies!!

Gday Bruce K,

thanks for the welcome mate. Are you the staff for the Trawler forum and the person i ask questions for the site?

Welcome craigster! Congratulations on your new trawler!

Thanks Bligh,

I got a lot of work to do on her!
:)

The McLaren looks like the real thing!

To post some pics in your message, click "go advanced" under you message, then click on the paper clip icon. Then browse your folder and click on you pic file. Then click on "Upload"

To see the result, click on "preview post" before submitting reply.

Thanks AusCan!

Will try that now for a test run!

Attachments

• MY BOAT..jpg
    MY BOAT..jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 305
Welcome Craig,
Another McLaren joins the fold.
Looks like we have a few on board now.
Have you drawn up plans for your conversion yet or just feeling your way around.
Plenty of pics as you go would be great.
I have an ex McLaren beside me in Mackay. The usual short raised forecastle but they have moved the main engine further aft and the master cabin is under the wheelhouse.
OK what power does she have and how is she set up at present?
Sharpie or carvel and what timber?
Welcome again.
Cheers
Benn

Hi Benn,

Great to get your message, i have read a few of your threads and you have some great knowledge...
My Hull is a Spotted gum Carvel Hull, 2.5 Inch Planks. The Engine Room was originally under the Wheel house , but im planning on moving it Further Aft as well.. In your words why do you think it would be better aft than under the wheel house?
I have a Gardner 6LXB that i have finally found after a massive amount of searching and i need to re rate it from a 180HP to a 150 Hp for a Marine application..
Cheers
Craig

Craig- Welcome to a great forum with so many helpful members who share. For sure your rig is far from being "Whimpy" Hell for stout and really a true trawler. As other, pictures of progress always welcome.

Al-Ketchikan (Bridge to Nowhere) Alaska

Thanks Al,
thanks for the welcome! She is a good sized boat! 58 feet. 17.68 metres
Definately nota whimpy boat mate :)

Gday Bruce K,

thanks for the welcome mate. Are you the staff for the Trawler forum and the person i ask questions for the site?

Yup!! BruceK is your man with answers...but you better ask him fast. Word on the street is that he's going in for a face lift on Monday and may be unable to read your post by Tuesday.

You'll find a lot of answered questions and helpful hints here while BruceK takes his 'vacation'.

She is a good sized boat! 58 feet. 17.68 metres
Definately nota whimpy boat mate :)

Good having another craig around here to balance things out a bit.

Welcome Mate! Go figure, another Aussie working on a timber boat. I'm starting to think Bruce and Peter are the odd ball Aussies now with fiberglass boats :flowers: Look over Hendo's thread on rebuilding Axe, if you take less apart than he did in your refit you win :D

Wow, sure locks to have a ton of potential. Just can't coach good lines:rofl:

Gday Bruce K,

Just an unpaid IT challenged Moderator. If I can post a pic anyone can.

Welcome aboard Craig.
I normally warn new folks about RT Firefly, but you've already encountered his humor. He's smart but nuts.

RTF, how the heck do you type upside down?

.. BruceK is your man with answers.. Word on the street is that he's going in for a face lift on Monday...
Time ravaged face :mad: way beyond repair, vision:socool: I hope is not.

Thanks FlyWrite!

I better hit him with some quality Q's before he goes under the Knife!
Is that him getting the face lift or his vessel!
I might have put me foot in it already!! hehe

One question i have is when i log back on to my Forum i cant find the message box to find this very thread we are writing on.

Cheers

Craig,
Here is a bit of Gardner info. You may have it but hey!!

Did you pick the boat up in Cairns or buy her elsewhere and steam her home.

I run my 6LXB at 1250 RPM. She is rated at 150 BHP at 1500 RPM.
Have you got a good Gardner man up your way?
Sounds like a great project and at 58' she is definitely a good size.
Engine room aft or fwd depends. If it is fwd then you can build in a very good aft cabin (master) sure keeps the Boss Lady happy. Nice walk around bed with good sized ensuite.
Eng room aft then the cabin is under the wheel house and may have restricted head room and less natural lighting.
But at 58' that may not be a problem, I really like the aft cabin configuration.
Cheers
Benn

Attachments

• GARDNER MARINE PROPULSION DIESEL ENGINES (1).pdf
    71 KB · Views: 44
Thanks AusCan!

Will try that now for a test run!

Oh and she's a woodie! What is it with us Aussies building/rebuilding woodies! Hahaha ... Glad to see ya got the posting of pics sorted mate.

Good having another craig around here to balance things out a bit.

Welcome Mate! Go figure, another Aussie working on a timber boat. I'm starting to think Bruce and Peter are the odd ball Aussies now with fiberglass boats :flowers: Look over Hendo's thread on rebuilding Axe, if you take less apart than he did in your refit you win :D

Hahaha Craig's is floating mate so there's no contest. Now if it were a battle of the handstands then that'd be a different story haha

Hi Benn,

Thanks for the Gardner info mate always appreciated.

I bought her Minus the Engine, Gearbox, Prop and Nozell as that was the deal when i got her.. And im not needed that Trawling gear anyway..

This is my first Gardner! got it a few weeks ago. I like this Gardner Engine a lot because it has its own History!
it came out of the old Tarzali sawmill! it used to drive the big blades! Slicing timber for years!

My biggest issue at the moment is trying to find a Prop and Gearbox thats not going to cost me the earth to buy.. ( Doing this on a bit of a shoe string budget)
I planning to find a Prop around 48 Inch with a 42 Pitch Narrow 4 Blade Propeller.
And a 4:1 Gearbox

I have a 38 Inch x 26 Austral Prop that i cant use as its to small for my project
and i have a MG 509 gearbox 2.95:1 that i cant use Either.. I might have to sell them or trade them for the prop and gearbox im looking for if im lucky!

I was wondering what size prop and box does your Gardner drive Benn?

I am hoping to find a good Gardner guy in Cairns... George Dawson is the most famous Gardner man up north here but he has retired a long time
ago. Could you recommend a good Gardner person. I know there is mainline in brissy but would be great if there was some talent up north :)

Cheers
Craig

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom