New Island Gypsy owner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gypsy Island

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
PANAMA
Vessel Make
Kong & Halvorsen, Island Gypsy 51
Hi,
last year i bought a Island Gypsy 51 built by Kong and Halvorsen in 1988, currently moored in Italy. It's a kind of flush deck trawler which are really seldom in Europe. Like any elder Taiwan Trawler it's a project and when finished, should lead us round the Med into the Atlantic, at least i hope so.

So i'm glad to join this forum getting lots of information and i hope i can give some too.

Wish you all the best from Germany,
Gyp

Sounds like a great boat! I love our flush aft deck 44, great place to hang out at the end of the day.

Ah photos, i knew i've forgotten something...

Attachments

• IMG-20220306-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20220306-WA0001.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 21
  • DSC04208.jpg
    DSC04208.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 23
  • DSC04205 (2).jpg
    DSC04205 (2).jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG-20210824-WA0008.jpg
    IMG-20210824-WA0008.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG-20210411-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20210411-WA0001.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 22
Beautiful boat, really like the interior shot, the teak and holly sole looks great.

Yeah, very nice boat. Don't you love those big windows?

Hello, welcome aboard to you and Panama.

Looks like you are going to have a lot of fun in the 51'.She seems to be a relatively rare beast in the IG stable. The 32/36/44 making up the bulk of the fleet.

One thing though, she is not of Taiwan heritage, Island Gypsy's are from Hong Kong and later, various Chinese yards. (though some world leaders consider Taiwan, Hong Kong and China one and the same...:whistling:)

Yes, welcome to TF. That's one lovely vessel. I'm envious already. I love that sort of lay-out. ☝️ ✅ ? :)

Fairly sure Mark Halvorsen said construction was in China from early 80s, finishing off was in HK. He remembered visiting the China yard, still in short pants at school.
Years ago I saw a 50/51, built of meranti (resembles but doesn`t behave like teak),at the ex Halvorsen factory in Putney,under repair after a swim. Lovely big volume boat.
And welcome! We owned a Europa 36 from 2010 to 2020. Our Integrity is closely related.

Last edited:
Welcome--What a beauty. Looks like our 36 would fit in your salon. All that space must be amazing! Cheers

Thanks all for the warm welcome...very nice people here.

I must confess that we upgraded just from an 268 Sea Ray to the IG 51. So yes, the 180 degree look through the big windows which are nearly nothing hiding, is sometimes really overwhelming and in connection with the flush deck, was the point for us to buy the boat, after we've seen so much "stair boats".

But it's still a project with lot's of work to do like refurbishing the teak, paintworks, electrics... i think most of you know what's about with such old boats.

Fortunately i'm a craftsman and don't be afraid of work.

Beautiful boat!
We have a 44’ Flush Aft Deck and love it!

Hi,
last year i bought a Island Gypsy 51 built by Kong and Halvorsen in 1988, currently moored in Italy. It's a kind of flush deck trawler which are really seldom in Europe. Like any elder Taiwan Trawler it's a project and when finished, should lead us round the Med into the Atlantic, at least i hope so.

So i'm glad to join this forum getting lots of information and i hope i can give some too.

Wish you all the best from Germany,
Gyp

Hello and welcome Gyp

The boat looks great, what are the engine room arrangements, engines, genset, etc?
As others have mentioned, many IG’s built were up to 44’, so it seems quite rare to get the larger version.
Kong and Halvorsen also built in the late 1980’s, a 50’ in an aft cockpit which had an enclosed wheelhouse/flybridge, we have one in our marina currently, I think is still the best looking boat around.
Halvorsen’s really had great design lines, and as BruceK mentioned with his Integrity, still around today.

Which part of Italy are you moored, it’s a great area to cruise?!

Hello and welcome Gyp

The boat looks great, what are the engine room arrangements, engines, genset, etc?
As others have mentioned, many IG’s built were up to 44’, so it seems quite rare to get the larger version.
Kong and Halvorsen also built in the late 1980’s, a 50’ in an aft cockpit which had an enclosed wheelhouse/flybridge, we have one in our marina currently, I think is still the best looking boat around.
Halvorsen’s really had great design lines, and as BruceK mentioned with his Integrity, still around today.

Which part of Italy are you moored, it’s a great area to cruise?!

Hello Southern Boater,

she is number 22 and was built in 1988 in Hong Kong. Fortunately the decks are fiberglass/hard foam core sandwich. She has a full height engineroom with two Ford Lehman SP225 (2728E), an Onan 12 KW Generator, workbench, Stabilizers, etc. Fuel capacity is 5000 L in 5 tanks .and water is 2250 L.

It's a very roomy boat with two double staterooms and a third one with 4 bunk beds, each with ensuite, 2 spiral stairs to the lower deck and 2 stairs to the fly.

Interestingly the boat was not announced as a trawler, but an "ocean going" motor yacht, accordingly to the original sales brochure. I think the lines are a mixture between the two in reminiscence to Halvorsen designs.

The boat is moored in northern italy, in the lagoon between venice and grado, giving us the opportunity to shortly switch between italy and croatia, which is a very interesting area with hundreds of islands.

gyp

Attachments

• 2phpThumb_generated_thumbnail.jpg
    2phpThumb_generated_thumbnail.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 8
It looks a lot like a Defever POC. Looks like a great layout.

Hi Comodave,

yes, she seems pretty similar to the Defever POC. Are there any others in this range?

Gyp

Welcome aboard. Looks like a fine ship.

Hello Southern Boater,

she is number 22 and was built in 1988 in Hong Kong. Fortunately the decks are fiberglass/hard foam core sandwich. She has a full height engineroom with two Ford Lehman SP225 (2728E), an Onan 12 KW Generator, workbench, Stabilizers, etc. Fuel capacity is 5000 L in 5 tanks .and water is 2250 L.

It's a very roomy boat with two double staterooms and a third one with 4 bunk beds, each with ensuite, 2 spiral stairs to the lower deck and 2 stairs to the fly.

Interestingly the boat was not announced as a trawler, but an "ocean going" motor yacht, accordingly to the original sales brochure. I think the lines are a mixture between the two in reminiscence to Halvorsen designs.

The boat is moored in northern italy, in the lagoon between venice and grado, giving us the opportunity to shortly switch between italy and croatia, which is a very interesting area with hundreds of islands.

gyp

There is a YouTube channel “Sailing Fair Isle” who last year had a season based in your lagoon area, looks very interesting!
Friends of our also delivered their own boat from this area, via the Dalmatian/Croatian Coast to Sardinia.
An amazing cruising area, but they warn of very high costing cruising permits on top of the extra daily charges of mooring buoys.
Porto Montenegro is highly favoured, not only because it’s very friendly and well organised, but cheap fuel!

Good luck with your cruising into the future, and look forward to reading and seeing reports from the Adriatic and maybe beyond.

Back
Top Bottom