New-ish Ocean Alexander Cruiser

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aussie Doug

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Carpe Diem
Vessel Make
Ocean Alexander 56 Pilothouse
Hi All
I have been following this forum for some time now. After much looking and research (reading lots of posting on TF) I purchased an 1986 Ocean Alexander from the US and imported it to Oz. I m semi retired and looking forward to coastal cruising QLD and beyond. The whole process of purchasing in the US and shipping to Oz has been an eye opener. I have been learning what is wrong /right with Carpe Diem. As yet I have not been disappointed. I Have a wish list of additions and improvements which I want to make but overall I am happy with the addition to my Family. Below is a link to the sales blurb, a photo of it being loaded at Long Beach Ca and Unloaded in Brisbane Au. Also a photo of my wife and I cruising the Broadwater on the Gold Coast. I look forward to learning and being a part of the T F community.

Link[
URL]http://www.yachtworld.co.uk/core/listing/boatMergedDetails.jsp?boat_id=2455433&checked_boats=2455433&ybw=&units=Meters&currency=EUR&access=Public&listing_id=2184&url=&imc=pg-fs[/URL]

Loading Long Beach CA

Unloading Brisbane OZ

Cruising the Broadwater

Attachments

• image-2748244412.jpg
    image-2748244412.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 172
  • image-2983111994.jpg
    image-2983111994.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 175
  • image-3431506257.jpg
    image-3431506257.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 183
A truly great looking boat. She seems much more modern than 1986.:thumb:

Hi Moonstruck. Great enduring Ed Monk Jr design. The targa has been reversed, as part of a 2 year refurb by PO.

What a beaut!! But only one area seemed lacking....

Only 3 recliners to listen to your Bose sound system on your popup HDTV?

I REALLY like the lines on your boat. Great name, too.

Welcome to the club!!

Welcome!

My Coot's voyage from China looked a lot scarier, being carried on the top of a pile of containers.

ry%3D400

img_167483_1_08d77a6ef234e4ad77c9bec637ebf069.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the welcome FlyWright.
It's comfortable alright. We have managed to do 900nm around the Gold Coast Broadwater and Moreton Bay in the short time since her arrival in The Land Of OZ. We hope to take her north next season and cruise the Whitsunday's for a few months.

Aussie Doug - touch of synchronicity. I’ve just spent 18 months looking for the “perfect” boat in the US to import back to Sydney. Took a 1979 Defever 49 to survey last year but had to eventually pass when the flybridge decks were rotten. Had just about given up (the $AUD and all) when last month a lovely1980 Ocean Alexander 50 Mk1 turns up for sale not 10 minutes from my home. Berthed in a marina I had been to a dozen times and never noticed. Jumped at it (with some helpful advice from “Insequent”) and now have it under unconditional contract (settling end of July). Not convinced about the name (to many memories of bad movies etc) but can’t wait to get on it.

Mark

It's amazing how they stow everything on deck containers boats..... Just tie her down and off we go.

Attachments

• image-1440054189.jpg
    image-1440054189.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 210
  • image-1200726531.jpg
    image-1200726531.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 142
  • image-1371707638.jpg
    image-1371707638.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 147
Well done Robert. It's a great looking boat. Do you have any pictures of the internal layout? It interests me what can be done.

Very original. Will post some photos tomorrow. At the pub now and my skill level with these new fangled smart phones is sub optimal after a few beers. You should make contact with Insequent. He has a nice OA 50 that he is bringing back to Brisbane and is very knowledgable about the model.

Look forward to the photos. Enjoy your beers.

Great enduring Ed Monk Jr design.
Welcome aboard, Doug! You're really pissing me off with that Ocean Alex! I had a OA 42 years ago that both my wife and I now admit was the best boat we've had so far. We've been looking for an opportunity to pick up another one but so far no cigar. Ours had twin Cats (375s) and cruised at 20 knots which put us in range of just about everything Southern Cal has to offer. Again, welcome!

Attachments

• OA 42 Sedan.jpg
    OA 42 Sedan.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 176
Sorry Walt. This is an Oldie but a Goldie. I don't think my DD 6v92's will give me 20kts. Thanks for the welcome.

Attachments

• image-3882354915.jpg
    image-3882354915.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 166
Aussie Doug,
Welcome on board.
Nice looking vessel and glad you have had a successful transition from buyer to owner in OZ.
Where on the GC are you.
I am presently on the hard at Gold Coast City Marina doing a major refit.
may be able to catch up at some stage.
Cheers
Benn

Mark

It's amazing how they stow everything on deck containers boats..... Just tie her down and off we go.

My Coot was hidden in the middle-top of a stack of containers, resting on two gray-colored joined flat "non-containers."

img_167532_0_37862a4d4117f62ee9f79ba684c05578.jpg

Sorry Walt. This is an Oldie but a Goldie. I don't think my DD 6v92's will give me 20kts. Thanks for the welcome.

DD 6-92TAs are strong engines. I would think speeds in the high teens at least.

I don't think my DD 6v92's will give me 20kts.
That's smart having AirSeps on those Detroits. Will minimize the oil leaks. Those are great engines. (IMHO)

Aussie Doug,
Welcome on board.
Nice looking vessel and glad you have had a successful transition from buyer to owner in OZ.
Where on the GC are you.
I am presently on the hard at Gold Coast City Marina doing a major refit.
may be able to catch up at some stage.
Cheers
Benn

Thanks Benn, I'm at Paradise Point just down the river from GCCM. PM and we'll set a meet up. I have been following your refit and would like to see what's been done for myself.
Doug

My Coot was hidden in the middle-top of a stack of containers, resting on two gray-colored joined flat "non-containers."

Your Coot was well protected in tucked away between the containers. Did you offload in Long Beach?

Hi Moonstruck and Seahorse 11
I'm happy with the noisy, dirty 2 strokes (I think). I have done about 900nm with them now but only in protected waters. Will get some blue water trips in later in the year. Then I'll get a better idea of fuel economy/speeds.
Doug

Aussie Doug - some technical problems with the inside photos of Poseidon (will have to take another batch next weekend) but have attached a few below. Hull shots are from the purchase survey. Mine is the the 3 cabin layout with the second head / shower in the bow.

Attachments

• On Lift 1.JPG
    On Lift 1.JPG
    91.1 KB · Views: 157
  • On Lift 2.JPG
    On Lift 2.JPG
    127.6 KB · Views: 150
  • Galley 1.jpg
    Galley 1.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 122
  • Galley 2.jpg
    Galley 2.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 130
  • Saloon Aft 1.jpg
    Saloon Aft 1.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 127
  • Saloon Aft 2.jpg
    Saloon Aft 2.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 126
  • Pilothouse 4.jpg
    Pilothouse 4.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 126
Gorgeous vessel, Robert. Outside of perhaps the economy of a single engined full-displacement boat, I can't imagine your missing anything on that sweetheart. Good looking too.

Robert, congratulations it looks fantastic. Now the real fun begins. Learning all the systems, discovering all the nocks and crannies, getting Posidien into the shape you want. I hope your good with a paint brush, lots
of bright work.

Last edited:
Thanks. Will definitely keep the teak decks "silver" and the bright work looks so good it's worth the effort. I'm going with the "love at first sight" approach to choosing a boat. Not objective or rational, but I figure it makes the time and money sunk into it easier to accept.

Robert & Aussie: looks like together with Insequent we're building (or re-building) the OA base in Oz! If this keeps going we can have an OA Owners Club soon! (Aquabelle is a 1985 flushdeck motor yacht...last of the Mk 1 hulls. She was re-powered in 1998 and given a complete refit in 2009, including a hull extension to create a "Euro" boarding platform. In 2011 her bimini was replaced with a hard-top. Home port Bobbin Head, Sydney. Now progressing up the East Coast towards the Whitsundays: currently in Keppel Bay Marina, Rosslyn Bay/Yepoon).

Aquabelle - if this keeps up people will think the old OAs are common as muck. Have been getting lots of advice from Insequent by PM during the sales process. Poseidon is quite original. Commissioned in Germany then imported from Greece by current owner in 2006. Fuel tanks replaced and extensive repairs to teak decks have been done but most of the systems need updating. Are you planning a return to Sydney any time soon? A raft up at refuge Bay could be a sight to see.

Robert: She'll be back at Bobbin Hd sometime in November. There are a few OA's including a couple of very late models) on Pittwater/Cowan and a couple on Sydney Harbour too. Would be great to meet at Refuge. BruceK from TF is also close by I think so we should rope him in if we can. Where are you plannng to keep her? And if you need any refit experience let me know....though Insequent has done a superb job & is now a great source of been-there/done-that experience. These boats are really great designs for Australian waters I think, with their only shortcoming being a bit less cockpit length/area than most of us would like. The flushdeck model, like Aquabelle, of which there are around 20 worldwide with 7 in Australia, doesn't have the raised pilothouse...it is more a 'Europa' single level. This creates a walk-in full-height engine room and a full beam aft owners stateroom, while retaining the generous midships stateroom. I will PM you my personal contact details

Back
Top Bottom